• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Terry Tao public lecture (2 Viewers)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
From my experience, I'd say ANU has the best maths department (and I've checked out quite a few). Though clearly we're all a bit biased here... ;)
Looking at ANU's honours units unless you want to do pure mathematics (which USyd is quite strong at) I'd rather go to UNSW.

I doubt I'll do my honours at ANU - even if I'm going to do a PhD there. UNSW appears to have quite alot more probability/statistics units.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Looking at ANU's honours units unless you want to do pure mathematics (which USyd is quite strong at) I'd rather go to UNSW.

I doubt I'll do my honours at ANU - even if I'm going to do a PhD there. UNSW appears to have quite alot more probability/statistics units.
Yeah, ANU is more of a research university, hence the emphasis on the pure side. Even then it's strongest at analysis, whereas USyd is only really good for Algebra. Even then I'd still rather do algebra at ANU.

Also, eww applied maths :p

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Yeah, ANU is more of a research university, hence the emphasis on the pure side. Even then it's strongest at analysis, whereas USyd is only really good for Algebra. Even then I'd still rather do algebra at ANU.

Also, eww applied maths :p
At this stage i'm doing a triple major in mathematics (pure, applied and stats) so its not all eww applied maths (bedtime reading atm is 'A first course in Pure Mathematics'.)

I'm quite interested in what I'll get out of pure mathematics though - I hope its worth doing!

HSC
N/A
Video of <i>Structure and Randomness in the Prime Numbers</i> lecture at ANU given by Terry Tao on Sept. 22, 2009:<p>
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cinerama/swf/singleclip_player_08.swf" id="playerObject" name="playerObject" bgcolor="#000000" quality="high" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" flashvars="videoURL=rtmp://cp44823.edgefcs.net/ondemand/flash/fora/streams/anu_terrytao_full.flv&videoTitle=From ABC Fora : abc.net.au/tv/fora&screenWidth=400&screenHeight=225&autoStart=false&stageColor=#000000&textColor=#408409" height="285" width="400"><p>

MP4 file: <a href="http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/fora/anu_terrytao_full.mp4">http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/fora/anu_terrytao_full.mp4</a><p>

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
I love how the first number that came to Terry's mind in the middle there was 1337

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
yeah beacuse he can fit all that within 40-45 minute lecture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)