Texbooks and the COOP website (1 Viewer)

Devozzzz

HSC
Hey everyone, are the textbooks listed on the COOP website the final ones selected by the University for 2014 or can they still change? I want to get one of the textbooks a bit before Lectures start to have a read.

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
its unlikely that they'll change but you never know. Your best option which is what I've done in the past was to email your lecturer and ask for the Unit outline as you're a keen to have a read before. You'll get two answers: 1. Sure 2. Wait. No harm in asking though.

Also, readers which are bought from the print shop campus tend to be available 1-2 weeks before hand so keep an eye on that if you're keen. Beware to not burn yourself out though.

http://sydney.edu.au/ups/ucc/student_notes/index.shtml

at the bottom

Devozzzz

HSC
Great! Thanks. How do I find out which lecturers I'll have?

Meshy590

HSC
The book for Econ1001 is probably going going to be Microeconomics 2nd edition, by Hubbard Garnett lewis O'Brien. I did micro last year first semester, and we were the first to use this book, so I doubt it has changed.

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A

Devozzzz

HSC

Devozzzz

HSC
And I have a copy for sale if you're interested!
I'm just not not sure if it's the same textbook this year. I've heard that they now come with some online stuff that only works for 1 year?

Meshy590

HSC
I'm just not not sure if it's the same textbook this year. I've heard that they now come with some online stuff that only works for 1 year?
Yeah that's right. Its called myeconlab, but I think you can buy it separately as well. Otherwise if you buy from coop, its approx 150 for the book and myeconlab.

The book should still be the same though, but you should confirm with your lecturer

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
Other places to look for cheaper books would be http://www.bookdepository.com/ and http://booko.com.au/ . There are other 'sources' which you might be able to find but most of the time I would make sure that i actually needed to reader for the reading list. Eg: Last sem I onl needed a total of maybe 50 pages out of a 300 page book. I ended up just scanning bits from the library and reading it on my tablet.

Devozzzz

HSC
Yeah that's right. Its called myeconlab, but I think you can buy it separately as well. Otherwise if you buy from coop, its approx 150 for the book and myeconlab.

The book should still be the same though, but you should confirm with your lecturer
Could you tell me what MyEconLab is please?

Devozzzz

HSC
Other places to look for cheaper books would be http://www.bookdepository.com/ and http://booko.com.au/ . There are other 'sources' which you might be able to find but most of the time I would make sure that i actually needed to reader for the reading list. Eg: Last sem I onl needed a total of maybe 50 pages out of a 300 page book. I ended up just scanning bits from the library and reading it on my tablet.
Do you know how often people would use EconLab? and what for?

Meshy590

HSC
I only used it 3 or 4 times in the whole semester. It has some online quizzes which are OK, and has some summaries and practice questions. It didn't help me that much...

Devozzzz

HSC
I only used it 3 or 4 times in the whole semester. It has some online quizzes which are OK, and has some summaries and practice questions. It didn't help me that much...
Ah ok, so lecturers don't say you need them? + How much are you selling your Micro textbook for?

Meshy590

HSC
Our lecturer actually said that it would be helpful...but it really depends on the person and how you like to study.

I have PM'd you in regards to the textbook price

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RishBonjour

HSC
Could you tell me what MyEconLab is please?
It's like revision questions - both mathematical and conceptual. It is quite good for revision but depends on how you study. I used it a couple of times and found it was far too slow and tedious for my liking - so gave my password to a friend who was struggling. I suggest you buy it (as a package they are $150 ish from co-op)- might help you (might not). For example, the person who came 2nd in my cohort used it quite regularly so it can pay off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)