• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

text books (1 Viewer)

Igor

HSC
N/A
I'm just wanting info on what you all think are the best text books to get; which are the most useful etc.

I'm doing sor 1. (in year 11, but sitting hsc exam this year) And it's the first year my school has run SOR as a subject.
My teacher is a bit tentative and we only get one lesson a week, but lots of frees to "study" in.

frees are useless when you don't know what your supposed to be doing. A text book would help but not sure which ones are the best.

and before anyone says to, i have checked the sylabus so we all (3 of us) know what we have to learn.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
the macquarie revison guide is quite good, imo.

you have to build a really good base of notes. when you make your notes, also get info from other's notes, from this site, teacher, etc.
the living religion text is pretty good aswell.

addict

'Specal' Member
HSC
oh, thats a bit hard, no particular textbook is that good our teachers have said we get alot of sheets/handouts etc that the re staff have devoloped over the years. im really sorry i cant help you out there, it can be a pretty detailed course...

Igor

HSC
N/A
cool, macquarie and living religion I'll check out.

I've downloaded all the notes this site has- gotta say, pretty cool resource. .... not sure when i'll get around to looking at them...

thanks for ur help

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Igor
I'm just wanting info on what you all think are the best text books to get; which are the most useful etc.

I'm doing sor 1. (in year 11, but sitting hsc exam this year) And it's the first year my school has run SOR as a subject.
ummmm, how does that work? You have not meet the hours (unless you are doing a bucketload of "frees" .... even then, you havent done the prelim which is a requirement for HSC..... at one lesson a week as you said, Id be a bit concerned that you are covering the course in all its requirements....

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
yeh i agree 1hr a week is no where near enough!

as for texts
macquarie and living religion
are the only ones which i used and it was more than enough!
don't forget about google! type any topic into it and it will give plenty of sites

religious material are plentiful on the internet

Igor

HSC
N/A
my school is weird, each period is 75 minutes, but a double period is two and a half hours. my weekly lesson is a double period... after everyone else has gone home. on top of this we have frees.

as to the assessment requirements, i've already done the prelim assessments, (i hope... my teacher is vague). I'm on to the hsc assessments now, and doing lots of reading through notes given to me by people from another school.

right now, I'm hoping that all the requirements will be met, my teacher and the school seem to think its all green and glorious so maybe....

if not, i can go back and do it again. this is my year 11, so i have that option.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Guess I was looking at it from a technical POV. Have a look in the front of the syllabus where it lists the face to face hours and you will see what I mean....
Just curious-why are they pushing you through in one year?

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by addict
oh, thats a bit hard, no particular textbook is that good our teachers have said we get alot of sheets/handouts etc that the re staff have devoloped over the years. im really sorry i cant help you out there, it can be a pretty detailed course...
Would it be presumptious to ask if it would be possible to share your sheets/handouts??
(Yes, im scabbing resources for my new school)

I can host them for you if you want....scanned docs or if you can get original electronic versions...

I had to ask so please dont be upset :)

Igor

HSC
N/A
Just curious-why are they pushing you through in one year?
the schools not pushing us through, we were given the otpion, since SOR was picked up as 12th unit "filler" to start with.

I assume though you are not doing yr 11 *and* 12 in the one year
yeah we are doing 11 and 12 in one year. it's weird... but there you go.
admin people at PF schools are talented at wrangling the system.

I do 3 lessons a fortnight and we get along fine
yeah, i do 2 1/2 hour plus three frees during which i sleep or study.

no matter... if it all goes bad and starts smelling like a dead possum too long in the roof space i'll do a big rant on it here and you can all say "i told you so"

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
thanks for the reply..the yr 11 and 12 comment was actually aimed at acmilan...I should quote ppl!! LOL

Best of luck though. I hope it worksout.
BTW PF Schools??

Igor

HSC
N/A
PF Schools = Priority Funding Schools

it's generally expected that a major percentage of the students won't finnish school, most only stay till they can get a ful time job. so there is more emphasis on work related skills than academic skills for some subjects.

having said that- Jesmond high has strong affiliations with Newcastle uni.

the school is also a construction zone at the moment. buildings are being torn down and rebuilt as we speak. and try to learn... without much success sometimes. buildin was supposed to finnish a while ago but i suspect some bright spark is paying the builders by the hour... without including a penalty clause.

dumbarses.
but we get an etra 2 uai points for the noise, dust, smell and inconveinience when the water/electricity/phone+internet lines are cut.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)