Textbook under HSC standards? (1 Viewer)

MK2308

HSC
So at my school there are two MX1 classes and for my class we are the one who chose to do MX1 whilst the other class is the one who were recommended + chose to do MX1.

My class uses Maths In Focus by Margaret Grove and the teacher from the other class + a few of the students from that class say that this textbook is under HSC standards?

I'm not sure whether that's true or they're just saying it out of a pure competitive attitude.

Anybody have any thoughts?

BenBrownTown

HSC
I used Maths In Focus for both year 11 and year 12, No other textbooks no tutoring, and I am achieving high marks in 2U (generally +95%for past papers_ and a good mark in 3U (roughly +80% for past papers). If you complete every single exercise not always every question and listen to your teacher in class and write down any board work. While practicing, you can achieve anything that you want to. No text book will cover every style of question that is HSC standards but you need to build a foundation of the work and learn to adapt this, the book makes you do that, don't listen to the other students they are probably just comparing it to what a tutor suggest to use because they got exceptionally marks from it, end of the day you just need to practice the required skills and you will be fine

Unlimited

HSC
Get yourself Fitzpatrick. They have some good questions in there.

What you want mostly for maths anyway is lots and lots of questions, the more questions you do - the better you'll be at maths.

ShayK

HSC
I used Maths in Focus for Year 11 and 12. Although I'm ranking 8/9, my marks have been always 75+
and we used Fitzpatrick revision questions three weeks before every exams, its really good.

lunaretta

HSC
Maths in Focus has its own positive points, but for MX1 I personally believe it's too easy. It's very good for learning the basics, but when it comes to harder questions (especially permutations/combinations/binomial probability and anything to do with probability), it really lets you down. Fitzpatrick is good; I wouldn't recommend Cambridge at this stage because their questions are really weird and not really like anything you'll get in the HSC (the hard questions).

What you want mostly for maths anyway is lots and lots of questions, the more questions you do - the better you'll be at maths.
This is really good advice! Do lots of past HSC/any trials you can get your hands on.

MK2308

HSC
Thanks guys, I was just a bit curious about what the other students were saying. Fortunately for me, my sister and my friend has passed down Fitzpatrick to me :)

HSC
Maths in Focus teaches you the basics, its good to use it in class but then move onto Fitzpatrick or Cambridge to see what "harder" questions look like and if you can do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)