Textbooks...and a side note: History Extension (1 Viewer)

sardonicerrors

its do or die this year.
HSC
Textbooks

Yo.

Was wondering if anyone knows of any textbooks (beyond the ones they give you at school) that people have used and found useful for study in their HSC

I've heard a lot of mixed messages about Excel textbooks, and I've seen people walking around with Dot Point books for sciences too.

Anyone use the Cambridge textbook for maths? Is it worth the purchase? I hear its quite expensive, but they have harder questions and examples.

These are the subjects I'm doing next term:

• Mathematics Ext 1
  • English Advanced
  • Legal Studies
  • Modern History + Ext.
  • Physics
  • Chemistry
14 units is a lot of work..but I'm going to keep everything until I get at least the first assessment task back - that way I'll know which subjects I'm not going good at and probably drop them.

I plan on purchasing my own copy of the textbooks, and maybe reading my english texts for leisure during holidays before the magic is killed when I study it for real for my HSC.

Anyone got any suggestions then?

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Re: Textbooks

Cambridge is good for Maths. It has heaps of examination style questions that may appear in your school internal examinations.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Re: Textbooks

The HTA Study guide should be your bible for Modern alongside your teacher's notes :)

I don't like the dot point books (mine are collecting dust) but the MC versions are pretty good if you want some quick revision.

For physics, use Jacaranda or Physics in focus (has a few typos but nothing major). For chem i use Conquering Chemistry. The excel books have the basic info that you need and questions to revise but most of the questions are not HSC standard. They're good if you want to learn ahead though, like i did :)

Cambridge is good for harder questions but unless you're doing 4U you don't have to worry about them. I prefer Jones and Couchman, Coroneos (even the formatting is fugly) and Fitzpatrick, but that's just personal preference ^^

sardonicerrors

its do or die this year.
HSC
mm..thats good. what kind of book stores do I need to look in? I looked at Angus and Robertson but all they got is the Excel books =/

I keep hearing so many mixed messages about those books, so I've decided not to go all out and buy them just yet.

Anyone got any other suggestions? :p

Staseycat

The last of her kind.
HSC
mm..thats good. what kind of book stores do I need to look in? I looked at Angus and Robertson but all they got is the Excel books =/

I keep hearing so many mixed messages about those books, so I've decided not to go all out and buy them just yet.

Anyone got any other suggestions? :p
Dymocks usually has Cambridge textbooks. At least the one in Town Hall does.

sardonicerrors

its do or die this year.
HSC
ohh what a small world, stasey, i used to live in umina :p

anyone else know of textbooks that could prove useful? ..anyone? *eep*

rawrawr

HSC
Cambridge is great for maths. Really gives you a challenge. However, you'll probably have to buy the year 11 and year 12 one because the topics really aren't in any order.

I fancy Chemistry Contexts for chemistry, its very very detailed, but quite wordy at the same time. Conquering Chemistry is also good. Jacranda is pretty decent for chem as well.

Staseycat

The last of her kind.
HSC
ohh what a small world, stasey, i used to live in umina :p

anyone else know of textbooks that could prove useful? ..anyone? *eep*
Really? I used to live in kogarah :) My teacher says that fitzpatrik ones can be useful for maths as well. For chemistry, my teacher likes the dot point book (she copies the dot points from the topic and we have to fill them out)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)