Textbooks (1 Viewer)

i query

HSC
just wondering when we will know or text lists and whether everyone in the smae subject will have the same textbook or does it differ??

lala2

Banned
HSC
What is the exact purpose of textbooks? Are they just for readings? If so, is it worth my while just to get them? Otherwise, I might need to start queuing up now for textbooks.

tennille

HSC
If you don't understand what the lecturer is saying, then a textbook would be useful to read. I would definitely start to get your textbooks now (or at least before uni begins), because it'll be really hard to but them later.

i query

HSC
do the text lists come up on the net or do we have to go into the co-op bookshop in person??

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
they havent come up yet on co-op website. majority of texts are in the store though, so ring up first, tell them ur unit of study codes and they will tell u if they've got those books. then u can go in and get them.

tennille

HSC
i query said:
do the text lists come up on the net or do we have to go into the co-op bookshop in person??
They might have your text lists under eah subject in your unit of study handbook (I know the science one has a few).

I suggest that if you are actually getting textbooks (and not course readers), then get them second hand at www.textbookexchange.com.au.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I bought all the textbooks I was requested to, and to be honest I never really used them. Infact, half of the books I bought for 1st year didn't even get opened.

As for maths, it's suggested you get this big fat Calculus book for 1903 (or 1901, can't remember exactly). I got that, and I didn't even open it. Those lecture notes you can get at Co-Op should do you fine.

As for finding out textbook info in general; when your subs pop up on WebCT, you can download info sheets for most of your UoS which tells you there.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Depends what subjects u do of course. I used all my textbooks and books in first year. Find out from people who did ur subjects last year. Wait until the 2nd week of uni if u want to find out from other people

lala2

Banned
HSC
What are course readers? How are they different to textbooks?

tennille

HSC
lala2 said:
What are course readers? How are they different to textbooks?
They are specifically designed for a unit of study, unlike a textbook. You usually purchase them from the copy centre at uni, or Kopy Stop in Broadway.

bubu

do u think that it is advisable to get the whole years book needs for a first year like me now so i dun have to wait till the break to worry about them

also will the books change half way through as in if i buy the books for the specified year and then they change the edition or somethin

is that likely

thanks

tennille

HSC
It shouldn't really matter whether you purchase your books now or later, as long as you are sure that you want to do those second semester subjects.

The editions shouldn't change. The textbooks and editions are whatever is stated in the 2006 handbook.

manifestation

What?!
HSC
When we start uni (1st years) the lecturer should tell us if we need textbooks or not right? Cause some subs give you readings... right? And also what's better co-op or text book exchange?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Don't buy any textbooks unless absolutely necessary. Lecture notes are another matter.

Last year, I got Primer because I couldn't be bothered to turn up to stats, which actually helped (never mind the fact that you can't read more than a page without feeling sleepy). The discrete text was also helpful in the absence of lectures although not as much as for stats. The text for molecular bio wasn't used either, but in my opinion it was (and still is) a good investment considering it was a memorisation subject and that I am doing biochem.

I'll probably get the pharmacology text this year, since I do have a coop voucher. I wouldn't personally bother with the maths texts unless it's something impressive like Disquisitiones Arithmeticae.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
the usyd text list is mostly the last one 2 come up on co-op website.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)