Textbooks (1 Viewer)

lolrofllol

HSC
Hey, i've noticed a huge variation in content between my school supplied text book (Alan Fowler) and an Excel book i recently borrowed, initially it was just small things - then the Marketing section in Excel revealed a business studies esque description of the software market, while Fowler described it in a wide context.

I was also looking through a past paper (2007 I think) and i came across a question on quality assurance - Fowler had nothing on it, the Excel book did. Actually the whole quality section was completely different when I think about it.

I just wanted to know which textbook would be the most reliable content-wise? I know that I should mix and match from many text books but I just don't have the money to buy them, and i suffer chronic laziness ruling out constantly borrow them.

(Also, I wouldn't mind if someone brief me on the Sam Davis text book, if it's good and whatnot)

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
When you read a lot of books, you'd start to read stuff that co-relate with each other and contradict with each other. It kind of sucks. Although I found that Samuel Davis is probably one of the best, and using Excel as a back-up for occasions where I don't understand or for summaries.

But don't take my word on it. I basically bludged my way through the whole year. Although I think those two books might've saved me from getting crushed in the HSC this year.

aaasss

HSC
Correction. Sam Davis' textbook IS the best. Study from no other book and you will be fine. Trust me, I came 5th in the State.

zvyx

HSC
Correction. Allan Fowler's textbook IS the best. Study from no other book and you will be fine. Trust me, I came 2nd in the State.

(now waiting for that Caringbah girl to show up lol)

helenka

HSC
We're using the Davis textbook, which feels safely thorough, though often confuses me regarding how much of its content I need to know and how much is just there as an explanation.

I don't like the way it explains some of the calculations in Option 2, but it has plenty of examples and information for the other sections.

I still feel the need for the Excel book for explanations on how to answer questions properly, though - I'm waiting for the new ones to come out.

helenka

HSC
No, the new Excel study guides aren't out yet for SDD, thought I think the new English 'Belonging' ones have been released. I've heard the rest of the new ones will be available around May, but I don't know how reliable my source is.

HSC
All i know is Cambridge is shit box..
Heinmann is decent
Sam Davis (parramata Education Centre) has a load of info and questions..
but im in yr 11 still..
so dunno :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)