textbooks (1 Viewer)

HSC
potentially stupid question but where do find out what textbooks i need for each of my units? im doing the bachelor of psychology :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
potentially stupid question but where do find out what textbooks i need for each of my units? im doing the bachelor of psychology :)
Check the Co-op Bookshop website.

No real need to pre-purchase though.

westwing

HSC
if you're looking for second hand books try out textbookexchange.com
i got all my textbooks from there, much better than getting it for full price when you're using them for 1 semester.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
if you're looking for second hand books try out textbookexchange.com
i got all my textbooks from there, much better than getting it for full price when you're using them for 1 semester.
^ This. Just look for the best deal out of all the offers listed. But for lab books, practical books, readers etc. you're going to have to purchase from the USyd Print Shop or Co-Op.

thank you! so you dont have to get them before class starts? or is it preferable?
I recommend seeing what textbook is listed by the unit coordinator(s).

Last edited by a moderator:

westwing

HSC
thank you! so you dont have to get them before class starts? or is it preferable?
usually its not compulsory to get textbooks but for some units it does help quite a bit. dont get the psyc textbook waste of money unless you know it's not going to sit on your shelf the whole semester.
just get psyctrek off someone since its basically the textbook.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
usually its not compulsory to get textbooks but for some units it does help quite a bit. dont get the psyc textbook waste of money unless you know it's not going to sit on your shelf the whole semester.
just get psyctrek off someone since its basically the textbook.
*cough* Someone like me... *cough*

HSC
so, i assume because it doesnt list the textbooks in a majoirty of my uos handbooks, we will just be told what textbooks are needed in the first couple of lectures? haha yes, the pscyhology textbook is really expensive so i might not get that one yet :/

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
so, i assume because it doesnt list the textbooks in a majoirty of my uos handbooks, we will just be told what textbooks are needed in the first couple of lectures? haha yes, the pscyhology textbook is really expensive so i might not get that one yet :/
You don't really need the textbook for psychology... just Psyktrek for the tutorial activities. Most textbooks are not worth purchasing - but it is worth borrowing for exam preparation.

engineering

HSC
N/A
In the first week, establish from what the lecturers say in class whether or not you bring print outs of slides that they have loaded on websites in advance, or text books, or readers etc. write your name on any text books or lecture notes you buy

Do not buy textbooks (even if the subject description says you must) until you have heard it directly from the lecturers mouth "you must buy this"

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Do not buy textbooks (even if the subject description says you must) until you have heard it directly from the lecturers mouth "you must buy this"
and even then wait and ask around because it may turn out the textbook is still fairly useless.

jet

Banned
HSC
It could be worth going to the library and checking them out before buying. If you find they suit your learning style then that's probably a good indication to get them if you want to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)