Textbooks (1 Viewer)

zhivago

HSC
I'm a first year Speech Pathology student and can't seem to find any concrete information about text books?

So far, the units of study description page on the usyd website, the co-op bookshop site, and the opac.library.usyd.edu.au/search/r service (found via blackboard), are all telling me very, very different things! Each one only lists one textbook for one unit, and the one unit with a textbook listed changes for each site!

...should I be waiting until introductory lectures or are textbooks just rarely prescribed?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Best to wait to see what your lecturer/tutor says.

zhivago

HSC
Ah, thank you! You've helped me again! Sorry for more trouble!

bec3

HSC
Hi! I'm a second year speechie :)
You'll be told what books you need and I do recommend a few.

For linguistics and phonetics you'll need to buy a grammar handbook and a phonetics handbook (available in B block at the printing centre). The lecturer also recommends a textbook and it is referred to quite often. I bought it and found it useful at times but it may be one to sell later :)

For psych there's just one book and if you're doings hsbh1003 as your elective it's useful as those 2 cross over. I found it helped for assignments. Again, they'll tell you what you need.

Anatomy has an expensive book but it's great because it's in depth and gives you the complete basics. I loved it because it lists all the muscles and what they do as well as their innervation (VERY useful). You'll also need to buy a lab manual From B block. It's available online but having the all in one book saves printing

If you chose hsbh1003 youre recommended to have that psych book as well as a sociology book. I liked the sociology book as it expands on what you've learnt really well. Again, in the very first lectures they'll tell you what you need.

I recommend not buying anything until after the first lecture. You will need the grammar and phonetics book fairly quick but they're easily available. If you did the grammar bridging course you'll already have it.

Any more queries about speech or uni in general feel free to PM
Good luck :)

zhivago

HSC
I could never have hoped for such a reply- I had been wondering where the building to purchase lecture notes/print/collect grammar books from was!
Thank you so much! By anatomy do you mean one of the electives (musculoskeletal anatomy) ? Maybe the course has changed slightly, but for first semester compulsory UOS we only have psychology, linguistics/phonetics, speech science, and the elective!

Again, thank you very much! I feel a lot more prepared now c':
(and thank you- again!- for the offer to PM, it's really appreciated)

bec3

HSC
No worries at all!
Woops sorry by anatomy I meant speech science :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)