Textbooks (1 Viewer)

MidNiteParis

HSC
Hi, I know there are probably other posts on this, though I still don't really have an answer.

What are the best textbooks for Mathematics, English, Business Studies and Biology?
Can anyone recommend any?

Also, are the Board of Studies HSC Exam Workbooks good?

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
math: cambridge, past papers
business: business studies in action
english: school notes.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
For maths, what i did to learn was:
1/ Learn in class
2/ Come home and watch Eddie woo's vids on same topic and get an in depth explanation and understanding
3/ Use the cambridge book and work through the corresponding exercises i learnt
4/ Once i finished the topic, i would move on to the next topic and repeat steps 1-3
5/ After completing 3 topics, i would revisit each one using Fitzpatrick and work though those exercises
6/ 3-4 weeks before exam (or earlier if i have time) i do past HSC questions related to the topics i completed

For english, use whatever you use at school and further enhance that via google. One thing i've learnt so far is that for english, google is your best friend, just search up the different techniques and ideas in the texts. Then using school + your own notes, write as many paragraphs as you can.

As astro suggested, we used business studies in action for prelim and hsc. It's very good at explaining (though most of it is common sense) and has relevant case studies as well. Mind you, out of all the textbooks i had, business was the fattest one.

*note that for mx2, i do all those steps plus i include another textbook as well (terry lee), just coz i need to get as much practice for mx2 as i can. Then i move on to past papers

Last edited:

just_a_lamb

HSC
Maths: Fitzpatrick, Cambridge, past papers
Biology: Biology In Focus
English: The Internet??
Business: Business Studies In Action

Untroubled

HSC
For English, Barbara Stanner's textbooks are really good. It provides detailed analysis for the different concepts relevant for the texts that you will be doing. She has textbooks for the area of study and the modules.
Her books look something like this --> discovery-area-study-9781921586804-45907.jpg

It's a resource that is directed for teachers to use and photocopy for students, as quoted by the book:
"A resource book for teachers."
So I would trust that it is really good.

swagmeister

HSC
I honestly hate business studies in action, I've been pretty much focusing on the excel textbook and the creative on is pretty great as well (credentials - got 99% in my business trials a few months ago, haven't done the HSC yet though)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Business Studies: Excel & Business in Action were my personal favourites. But I also used Cambridge to expose myself to a lot of content.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Mathematics:Fitzpatrick,Past papers
Business Studies: Business studies in Action, and if you want a supplementary Business Cambridge
Biology: Heinman, or if you want another textbook Biology in Focus

atargainz

HSC
For maths, although it's difficult to find old school Coroneos is very good. Fitzpatrick is good as well (more for questions instead of explanation), and obviously past papers

qwert73

HSC
Math: Math in focus* or Cambridge
*if you choose math in focus you MUST use past papers alongside this, nothing beats past papers, but math in focus is good for grasping concepts(the questions in MiF are usually multiple choice and q11-12 in the exam. Cambridge is a better investment though. use this site for past papers: https://9eeba4054ee764a743f35bb25b5...Year 12 - HSC/Maths/trialpapers_advanced.html
the board of studies exam workbook for math is basically useless, just go online to find worked solutions and questions.

Business: business studies in action is really good

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Why not?
what should I get then?
Cambridge or Fitzpatrick

As you are doing 2 unit, Fitzpatrick is probably the best option out of the 2 unit text books, however Cambridge is also a very good textbook.

MIF doesn't adequately prepare you for trial exams/tests/assessment/HSC exam. It is too ''easy"/"wrong"/"dodgy questions"

People on BOS are joking when they tell you to get MIF but they do tend to forget that new comers will not necessarily get the joke.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
maths in focus WILL help with attaining a b6.
Math: Math in focus* or Cambridge
MiF is all you need. You got yourself a 99.95 ATAR
inb4 enigma
bruh

Cambridge or Fitzpatrick

As you are doing 2 unit, Fitzpatrick is probably the best option out of the 2 unit text books, however Cambridge is also a very good textbook.

MIF doesn't adequately prepare you for trial exams/tests/assessment/HSC exam. It is too ''easy"/"wrong"/"dodgy questions"

People on BOS are joking when they tell you to get MIF but they do tend to forget that new comers will not necessarily get the joke.
yeah this^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)