Textual Dynamics (2 Viewers)

-xDan

HSC
Hey, im Doing Textual Dynamics at the moment in class.
And our prescribed text is The French Liuetenants Woman by John Fowles.

Is there anyone else currently doing this?
If so mind sharing your thoughts on it?

gabgab

HSC
yes, did the FLW.

loved it. great for textual dynamics.

we are now studying orlando.

also very textually dynamic.

there doesnt seem to be anyone else doing this module...

i feel all like, alienated and alone!! not belonging and stuff.
hahaha

ugh. advanced.

exteno so much better

:)

TAC

HSC
Hey guys, I'm doing 'Elective 3:Science-Fiction' from 'Module A:Genre' at my school.

However, for my Extension 2 research, my teacher recommended that I look into the Textual Dynamics elective.

Would you guys be able to send me any general notes or documents which you received from your teachers?

Thanks.:)

heyyou

HSC
I'm reading it at the moment. It's pretty good:)
I have already done Calvino and Orlando

-watch out for calvino, very hard to read!

madz321

HSC
i'm doing language and gender

twelfth night is cool and orlando is a hard read but elizabeth is one of the most insightful films

emblem

HSC
yeah we're doing textual dynamics
i keep trying to find notes on here but there's nothing-everyone's doing crime fiction!
we've done calvino, orlando and french lieutenants woman
does anyone know of any decent related texts for this elective?

amyylicious

HSC
LOL i'm in the same class as -xDan

can someone define 'language' in "language and values" for me
i'm finding it hard to get my head around what they mean by language.
is it literacy in general? language as a device for communication? language techniques? etc.

textual dynamics is about how a relationship can be established between a text, the reader and the composer.. and what effect this has basically. a bit airy fairy

Justion

HSC
Heh, what chance. Same class as -xDan also.

Amy, when they talk about 'language and values' they are referring synonymously to 'words, meanings and ideas'.

Read back up on Saussure and his signifier/signified literary theories for more on the meaning of 'language', or post-structuralism which stresses the plurality of definitions. Or, the meaning of an author's word varied relatively to the reader's interpretation of that word or idea.

Language is a device for communication, for channeling ideas, yes. So by manipulating it through language techniques, respectively, an author can change the way in which we interpret information. For instance, Fowles (as we've studied) changes narrative structure, relinquishes omniscient narration at times, and even has multiple endings. Therefore we don't actually read the book as if we would without all that stuff. If he didn't talk directly to us, if there was one 'correct' ending, then our interpretations, our ideas and stuff would be vastly different.

That's probably an extremely long-winded explanation of such a simple concept, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. And it's your fault for choosing an inevitably airy-fairy module :)

Last edited:

missknightley

HSC
I'm doing textual dynamics and we have been studying calvino, FLW and Orlando. Do you guys focus on language techniques and author, responder, text relationship a lot? I think we are veering too much into its post-modernist aspects.... ?? e.g metafiction, self-reflexiveness, linguistic and narrative play ... how are you taught this? any thoughts.....

Aixis

HSC
I'm doing Orlando, Calvino and Night Letters... Because we only have to write on 2 of those texts I'll be doing Orlando and Night Letters... I'm having trouble with finding a related text for Orlando... For Night Letters I have 'The Sound and the Fury' But struggling for Orlando... I hope we only need 1 related text for each. I don't think that's right somehow.

fscolli

HSC
I'm doing textual dynamics and we have been studying calvino, FLW and Orlando. Do you guys focus on language techniques and author, responder, text relationship a lot? I think we are veering too much into its post-modernist aspects.... ?? e.g metafiction, self-reflexiveness, linguistic and narrative play ... how are you taught this? any thoughts.....
I'm also doing textual dynamics (Orlando, Calvino and FLW) and our whole class was confused about how all the postmodern aspects of the texts fit in with language and values at first. But now I *think* I understand.

We look at the postmodern aspects of the texts cos they're the new dynamics of texts - hence the name of the module.
These new dynamics like self-reflexivity, metafiction, intertextuality etc form a new language, like a postmodern language. (we figured that text=language)
This new language changes the relationship that responders, composers and the text traditionally have - death of the author, blah blah.
This also means that they show different, postmodern values through this new postmodern language in terms of the way texts function, gender, history etc... so it all kind of links...

Hope that helps! Sorry if it's a bit convoluted...

-xDan

HSC
I'm also doing textual dynamics (Orlando, Calvino and FLW) and our whole class was confused about how all the postmodern aspects of the texts fit in with language and values at first. But now I *think* I understand.

We look at the postmodern aspects of the texts cos they're the new dynamics of texts - hence the name of the module.
These new dynamics like self-reflexivity, metafiction, intertextuality etc form a new language, like a postmodern language. (we figured that text=language)
This new language changes the relationship that responders, composers and the text traditionally have - death of the author, blah blah.
This also means that they show different, postmodern values through this new postmodern language in terms of the way texts function, gender, history etc... so it all kind of links...

+ body language. supposbly

chiarapawela

HSC

what do you mean that they are the dynamics? i was under the impression that the dynamics are things like originality, experimentation, cleverness +joys of invention, conversations between and among texts.... from the rubric? is that what everyone has been taught??

gingerwitch28

HSC
So wait, how many schools did this?

Obviously HGHS, and whatever school the original poster goes to... any others?

iwantasuperatar

HSC
we're doing textual dynamics right now at school
at first it was challenging but after writing an essay on it, i understand much more of it until ... i started reading italo calvino's if on a winter's night a traveller :confused:

anyone care to explain whats going on? not even relating to textual dynamics but the actual storyline , is there a storyline???

thanks!!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If on a winter's night a traveller is awesome! It's a book about reading a book, it'll make more sense as you read on as you find out why the books are so disjointed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)