Thai military stages coup (1 Viewer)

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Talked to my thai friend at uni today, she didn't seem to care at all, actually she seemed to like what the army did more than anything.

Doesn't seem to be that much of a big deal for them, possibly because they trust the King and it seems as if he was in on it. It's like everybody expected the coup except for Thaksin.

banco55

HSC
I thought coups went out of fashion in the '80's.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
So is it going to remain a constitutional monarcy, with the general as new PM? The King must of had some part in it, if everyone respects him as much as it seems.

banco55

HSC
sunjet said:
So is it going to remain a constitutional monarcy, with the general as new PM? The King must of had some part in it, if everyone respects him as much as it seems.
It's by definition not a constitutional monarchy if the king backs/cooperates with coups. It's just a banana monarchy.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Thaksin is a leader that has brought unprecedented properity, in particular to the poor rural areas. I went back to Thailand last year and the difference compared to the time before (8 years previous) in terms of wealth and prosperity is remarkable. The country has progressed.

As a result Thaksin almost has total support in rural areas. However the city folk don't like him as much. Like in many cultures there is a stigma associated with rural people. That they are worth less compared to the city people and don't need fancy mobile phones, communication systems, schools and universities. Thaksin has annoyed the city people by focusing on the development of the rural areas compared to the city areas giving these impoverished areas fancy modern communications systems, high quality roads and other infrastructure. the bone of contention is that he has profited from these infrastructure projects, often having a finger in the pie himself (for example his company, I believe, has a monopoly over communications).

Last edited:

Aryanbeauty

HSC
It maybe a good thing for Thai people but it clearly destroy all the credibility Thailand had as a democratic country in an area plagued by military coup, communism and dictatorship. Burmese leaders will be laughing pointing fingers at Thailand who told them to release Aung San Suu Kyi and return to democracy. It also dashed all Thai hopes of having the next UN Secretary General from Thailand.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Aryanbeauty said:
It maybe a good thing for Thai people but it clearly destroy all the credibility Thailand had as a democratic country in an area plagued by military coup, communism and dictatorship. Burmese leaders will be laughing pointing fingers at Thailand who told them to release Aung San Suu Kyi and return to democracy. It also dashed all Thai hopes of having the next UN Secretary General from Thailand.
haha. yeah.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
banco55 - that was a nothing comment not worthy of any response aside from this one... shuddup.
wheredanton - thanks for decoding everything that has happened for me! :D you were heaps more useful than the IHT, Australian, NYT and the Post... HEAPS. Glad your part Thai-ness could answer all the questions so well.
git.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
tWiStEdD said:
wheredanton - thanks for decoding everything that has happened for me! :D you were heaps more useful than the IHT, Australian, NYT and the Post... HEAPS. Glad your part Thai-ness could answer all the questions so well.
git.
What? Who uses the word 'git' any more? Still in year 10 are we?

In any case if you are so well informed tell us about what you have learnt from your extensive reading and research. I'm dying to know what you got from the identical Reuters and IHT reports quoted by all those papers.

Last edited:

Aryanbeauty

HSC
If they have a constitution which banished any military who interferes in civilian governance for any reason except at the invitation of the Government or the King should be executed (like drug dealers) they may stop having coup :D

RTTTYTR

HSC
They had been talk that something like this may happen for about a year if the Thaksin didnt call an election and fix other problems in the Country

banco55

HSC
tWiStEdD said:
banco55 - that was a nothing comment not worthy of any response aside from this one... shuddup.
git.
If your doing law dumbass you'd know that as soon as the military stages a coup a country ceases to be a "constitutional monarchy".

ice_wind

HSC
Aryanbeauty said:
I agree, but then agian it may be bad for Burma, i mean the Thais and Burmese have been fighting for years, i rkn the military govt in thailand's gonna be even harder on Burma then the previous one which only really cared about farmers. either ways im cancelling my trip to thailand this summer!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)