That 's why we get scaled down (1 Viewer)

born2try

I am doing Dialogue-stolen ( mod A )
wtiness ( mod B )
and consumerism (mod C )

The paper was toooo easy for too many people, which cannot really determine the real strength of the top students. people who didn't prepare anything except for essays ( because they had to do them for assignments ) will do well , as well as those people who did so much work on all sorts of exam question.
HSC paper should not be like that .
If bos. says we will get scaled down because the questions were too easy, we can't argue with them .

IF A SUBJECT IS LIKE THAT , THEY SHOULD HAVE INFORMED US WHEN WE WERE CHOOSING THE SUBJECT !

bipo

Thats not necessarily true. You get scaled up if you beat the states average, true the average may be higher, but since you found the question so easy, you should still smash the average.

Originally posted by Amish
would you have an extimate on the state average?
lol... hope you get above that average... 99 percentile is in the low seventies, so you'd probably be looking at about 50-55 for the state mean.
But getting above that average doesnt nessasarily being scaled up. The top students in English Standard can be scaled down... check it for yourself on UAI seeker... i get band 5's for all essays and probably band 5/6 for Test and i will still be pulled down. So the chances are slim.
Also even though it was probably a mistake, "extimate" is actually estimate.

But of course, it depends on the perceptives of the student, if you belive that you will accept "Change", your ideas and possibilities for high UAI will increase... I Hate HSC, It Messes with the mind, and changes perspective! Shit! I Said it again!

Benno

HSC
last years state mean was 64 the year before it was 69 so who knows what it will be this year

kablam

HSC
Originally posted by Benno
last years state mean was 64 the year before it was 69 so who knows what it will be this year
where did you get that from, out of curiosity?

Benno

HSC
umm, ive picked it up over the years, also its on the Board of studies website

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by Benno
Hmm, that seems quite high, with so many dumbasses at my school they cant even get that mark, and i myself consider 69% a good mark this means im screwed *ahhhhhh*

sepul

HSC
I think people are getting confused.

A distinction needs to be made between a raw or scaled mark of 64 and 69 - I'd agree that these were the BOS scaled mean marks, so the raw marks would be much lower.

LaZy_KoReAn - If you get 69% as a raw mark the BOS will scale that up.

When talking about getting scaled "up" and "down" - the BOS typically scales the marks up, and UAC ( To calculate the UAI ) will typically scale marks down.

Benno

HSC
64 was the overall HSC mean mark for the state in standard english in 2002
69 (i think) was the overall HSC mean mark for the state in 2001

if u got 69 in 2002 u would have been scalled up since u got a better mark than the majority of the state

sepul

HSC
again you're not being clear enough.

Everyone ( yes even the people with the mean mark ) would get scaled up by the BOS.

And if you got above the mean, then UAC wouldn't scale you down as much as someone that got the mean mark.

born2try

Re: witness

Originally posted by Dumbarse
Born2try, what did you think about the witness question and what impacted on you the most?
I talked about Weir's use of symbolism and imagery . which illustrates the theme of culture clash.

well , most of the people would talk about culture clash i guess, 'cos that's the easiest part, i focused on symbolism so i though my essay wouldn't be stereotypical,
anyways, i tried my best

Niente

born2try.. I did exactly the same thing for Witness :p but it was probably my worst essay.

I got told that the BOS doesn't scale the marks at all and it's only the UAC that scales them for the UAI....??

sepul

HSC
Correct, only UAC scales the marks to calculate the UAI.

The BOS scales the marks that go on your HSC results.

Brendon

Hey does anyone in here have the the offical paper of this years 2003 standard english paper paper 2 if so can u plz let me know asap thanks

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by born2try

The paper was toooo easy for too many people, which cannot really determine the real strength of the top students. people who didn't prepare anything except for essays ( because they had to do them for assignments ) will do well , as well as those people who did so much work on all sorts of exam question.
i agree!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)