The 50th Gate?! I don't understand (1 Viewer)

HSC
What exactly does the Fiftieth Gate refer to? What's the contextual reference? I can't find anything. And how is it significant? How does it relate to the subject matter?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I had this book as my prescribed text for History & Memory, and to be honest, I didn't fully get the title of the book and it's reference in the book. I believe that each gate is meant to symbolise a challenge along the way that must be passed and of course the 50th Gate is the last that must be passed. A good quote to help understand it a little bit is the opening and closing line of the novel.

I didn't mention the title once, or refer to it, apart from just naming the text and got 18/20 as my raw mark for this essay in the HSC English Advanced Paper, so don't stress if you don't get the contextual reference.

lucyc19

HSC
What exactly does the Fiftieth Gate refer to? What's the contextual reference? I can't find anything. And how is it significant? How does it relate to the subject matter?
the fiftieth gate refers to a palace/holy area full of gates which lead to enlightenment/eternity, etc. in the Jewish tradition. The fiftieth is the final one, which gives understanding and closeness to God.
It's on the inside cover, front or back, or maybe in the introduction or preface. I forget, but it explains it quite well.
Good luck! We're doing this last.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)