The 90's (1 Viewer)

astro

HSC
For all you movie buffs or alike out there...can you tell me a typical film of the 90's

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
What the fuck? What's a typical 90's film?
i don't know either but

jurassic park?
clueless?

victor..cleaner

cleaner
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
What the fuck? What's a typical 90's film?
yeah, sounds like non-film buffs shouldn't apply to threads they don't understand (not to sound superior or nothin'.)

because of my age i grew up watching a lot of films from 1990 onwards. i reckon the 90's was a time where Hollywood was embracing the 'event film' (ie: the huge 100million+ film). back then there were only a few per year, whereas nowadays we have a shitload more. (eg: last month saw 4 films released that cost well over $100million). this is really important as it was huge films from Spielberg, Zmeckis and Cameron that resulted in our current cinema situation.
more importantly the 1990's was when computers began to reach out into areas we could only dream of. hence the follwoing films are what i believe to be the archetypal 90's flicks.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day (CGI leaps forward)
Jurassic Park (CGI again)
Forest Gump (a film for the baby boomers to use as a basis for reminisence)

then there were the flms from the 90's that were kinda anti-hollywood and focused on feelings of alienation a lot more...

Fight Club (everyone's lost, identity is harder to determine)
American Beauty (same as above)
Sex, Lies and Videotape (independent film that cause a few waves)
Pulp Fiction (tends to lean towards previous decades in terms of style, but the laid back approach was so refreshing that it spawned more and more tarantino impersonators)

there are heaps more, i just can't think of them now.
might revisit the thread if i gets some decent replies

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I hate film snobs and people who call themselves film buffs.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Lundy
I hate film snobs and people who call themselves film buffs.
That is, Nate Berkus and Victor here.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I'm not a "film buff," (I study film at uni but I don't pretend to be all-knowing about it) but I'm going to attempt to answer this question anyway.

It's difficult to define a "typical" film, because you'll be looking across a range of genres and directors, as well as both mainstream and independant films. Genre popularity varies from decade to decade (how many musicals were released in the 90s?). In the 90s you saw a lot of action movies (Mission: Impossible, Speed, etc), towards the end of the 90s gross-out and teen comedies became popular. Film budgets got larger, and thus more special effects driven blockbusters.

I like Jurassic Park as an example, it was one of the first films to combine CGI with live action and was a big studio blockbuster quite typical of the 90s.

astro

HSC
i guess the question was too broad....thanks for the help though...much appreciated

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I was thinking about titanic. For some reason it didn't strike me as a "typical" film. Don't ask me why.

Last edited:

clerisy

HSC
When I think of '90s films, I think of Macauley Culkin. I think that's sad.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
yeah home alone is a prime example of the typical 90s 'kid' movie :p

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
me too! i cried my lil heart out when he died! also i wanted to be called vana or whatever her named was

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
vada. that's it. i reeeally wanted to be called vada. i was only thinking vana cause a girl in my school is named it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)