The Alchemist (1 Viewer)

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Has anyone read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho? I finished reading it today and I was just amazed at the way it was written and how it is so simply and beautifully written, yet so complex, with all the underlying meanings you receive from it. It has to be one of the best things I've read in a long time, I found it to be quite thought-provoking... but apparently many find it infantile and boring. Thoughts, opinions anyone?

Last edited:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I posted about it earlier...

Definitely one of my favourite books ever. I don't see it infantile - it's simple, and that's one of the best things about Coelho's writing.

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
I tried to see if any other posts had been made about the book, but the search function isn't working!

Do you recommend any of Coelho's other books?? I think "Veronika Decides to Die" sounds interesting.

rubylotus11

I love The Alchemist, it's one of my favourite books. And I think it's simplicity is what makes its message so poignant.

clerisy

HSC
Yeah, The Alchemist is great... reminiscent of Saint-Exupery's "The Little Prince" (though probably not QUITE equal!) I haven't read much else of Coelho's work, but "The Devil and Miss Prym" is brilliant too.

Melanie Jane

I liked this book but didn't find it compelling like so many others have. It does make you think but all-and-all it was just too... spiritual for me. :(

Melanie Jane

One thing I did love about it is how the author is obviously extremely intelligent yet does not fall into the trap where writers often tend to think that great writing has to be verbose. :rolleyes:
I hate the OTT pretentiousness of long-winded novels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)