The Beijing Olympics (1 Viewer)

romancandle

HSC
Should Australia boycott the Beijing Olympics because of the on going human rights violations china commits, especially cocerning Tibet and religious practices?

This topic has come up recently in the press as China cracks down on Tibet, in an attempt to create a 'united front'. Rumours of 100 students partaking in a peaceful protest being masacred?

Please discuss :)

bassistx

HSC
Re: Boycott of Olympics

romancandle said:
Should Australia boycott the Beijing Olympics because of the on going human rights violations china commits, especially cocerning Tibet and religious practices?
Yes.
Falun Gong Human Rights Working Group

Issue 30: Should the World Boycott the Beijing Olympics? ... Because she practiced Falun Gong, Ms. Wei Fengju was tortured to near death in the Heizuizi ...
www.flghrwg.net/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1655&Itemid=83 - 36k -

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

Boycott the olympics but keep on buying Chinese made products;)

bassistx

HSC

Everything is made in China. I give up.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

How does one boycott the olympics?

How would we make our message clear?

I just feel that things like International Earth Hour and other similar passive protests are ridiculous. It appeals to everyone around because it involves as little work as possible. It is PROTEST LITE.

Surely there is a more proactive way to get your ideas across.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

ur_inner_child said:
How does one boycott the olympics?

How would we make our message clear?

I just feel that things like International Earth Hour and other similar passive protests are ridiculous. It appeals to everyone around because it involves as little work as possible. It is PROTEST LITE.

Surely there is a more proactive way to get your ideas across.
I'm with you on this one. Boycotting the Olympics will do nothing. In fact, it might do the exact opposite of what it was intended to do. I know it sounds romaticised, but the Olympics are designed to promote international harmony. Pulling out to make a political statement would be coutner-productive to that.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC

Did it work for the 1980 Moscow Olympics? I'd say no.

What exactly is it meant to accomplish in the long run? It won't affect the economy and it'll be to the detriment of the sporting community.

In the long run, I agree with Stef, this is "Protest Lite".

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

romancandle said:

This topic has come up recently in the press as China cracks down on Tibet, in an attempt to create a 'united front'. Rumours of 100 students partaking in a peaceful protest being masacred?

Please discuss :)
Where is the evidence?

All news reports show footages of riot police patrolling in response to the burning and pillaging of shops and to Tibetans beating Chinese people to death. There are no actual footages of riot police clashing with these terrorists, let along of riot police giving them their just desserts.

The truth is that any government, whether democratic or authoritarian, communist or capitalist, would crush unrest on such a scale with the full force of the law (e.g. France race riots).

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

_dhj_ said:
Where is the evidence?

All news reports show footages of riot police patrolling in response to the burning and pillaging of shops and to Tibetans beating Chinese people to death. There are no actual footages of riot police clashing with these terrorists, let along of riot police giving them their just desserts.

The truth is that any government, whether democratic or authoritarian, communist or capitalist, would crush unrest on such a scale with the full force of the law (e.g. France race riots).
I think the thread-starter isn't just referring to the events of the past week, but to the events of the past fifty or so years when the Chinse started occupying ibet and sent the Dalai Lama into exile. And while human rights violations might be proven then, boycotting the Olympics over something that happened fifty years ago is more than a bit silly. It didn't work in Moscow in 1980 - and that was over the invasion of Afghanistan in 1979 - and it didn't work in Los Angeles in 1984 (but that was a counter-boycott), so why should it work for Beijing in 2008 for something that happened in the 1950s-1960s?

bassistx

HSC

ObjectsInSpace said:
I'm with you on this one. Boycotting the Olympics will do nothing. In fact, it might do the exact opposite of what it was intended to do. I know it sounds romaticised, but the Olympics are designed to promote international harmony. Pulling out to make a political statement would be coutner-productive to that.
it is hypocritical of China

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

bassistx said:
it is hypocritical of China
What are you going to do, spank them? You think they're going to listen - or even care - if some countries pull out of the Olympic Games they're hosting? They'll probably see it as an opportunity to win more medals, if anything.

One day Tibet will be free. It might not be in our lifetimes, but it will be free. But boycotting the Olypmic Games isn't going to make it go any faster.

If you want to do something, don't call for a boycott just because everyone is. Find something worth devoting your attention to and fight for it. It might be Tibet or Darfur or whatever, but make sure you truly believe in it. Some people might say "yeah, I support Tibet's freedom", but other people will actually dedicate themselves to it. I've seen people call for all sorts of things, but they haven't meant it. They just did it because everyone else did. But I've also seen one person who actually believes in her causes ... and I've seen her do some of the most incredible things I have seen another human being do.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

ObjectsInSpace said:
I think the thread-starter isn't just referring to the events of the past week, but to the events of the past fifty or so years when the Chinse started occupying ibet and sent the Dalai Lama into exile. And while human rights violations might be proven then, boycotting the Olympics over something that happened fifty years ago is more than a bit silly. It didn't work in Moscow in 1980 - and that was over the invasion of Afghanistan in 1979 - and it didn't work in Los Angeles in 1984 (but that was a counter-boycott), so why should it work for Beijing in 2008 for something that happened in the 1950s-1960s?
You mean during the past fifty years when the Chinese government freed Tibetans from feudal theocracy and practices like slavery, introduced secular education and scientific institutions, modern government, transport infrastructure and modern society. During this period Tibet's GDP increased 30 fold and average life expectancy increased by more than 30 years. Today, Tibetan monks are still permitted to practice their religion, traditional cultural sites are preserved etc. Of course, Tibetans still regard the Dalai Lama as some sort of divine entity they are slaves to and the Dalai still wants to return as ruler and bring Tibet back to feudal theocracy. All I can say about the Dalai's comments re 'cultural genocide' is that some cultures are superior to others.

bassistx

HSC

ObjectsInSpace said:
What are you going to do, spank them? You think they're going to listen - or even care - if some countries pull out of the Olympic Games they're hosting? They'll probably see it as an opportunity to win more medals, if anything.

One day Tibet will be free. It might not be in our lifetimes, but it will be free. But boycotting the Olypmic Games isn't going to make it go any faster.

If you want to do something, don't call for a boycott just because everyone is. Find something worth devoting your attention to and fight for it. It might be Tibet or Darfur or whatever, but make sure you truly believe in it. Some people might say "yeah, I support Tibet's freedom", but other people will actually dedicate themselves to it. I've seen people call for all sorts of things, but they haven't meant it. They just did it because everyone else did. But I've also seen one person who actually believes in her causes ... and I've seen her do some of the most incredible things I have seen another human being do.
It's like vegetarians donating to McDonald's House thingy.
It's just not right.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

_dhj_ said:
You mean during the past fifty years when the Chinese government freed Tibetans from feudal theocracy and practices like slavery, introduced secular education and scientific institutions, modern government, transport infrastructure and modern society. During this period Tibet's GDP increased 30 fold and average life expectancy increased by more than 30 years. Today, Tibetan monks are still permitted to practice their religion, traditional cultural sites are preserved etc. Of course, Tibetans still regard the Dalai Lama as some sort of divine entity they are slaves to and the Dalai still wants to return as ruler and bring Tibet back to feudal theocracy. All I can say about the Dalai's comments re 'cultural genocide' is that some cultures are superior to others.
I want evidence.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

_dhj_ said:
I did not say anything one way or another regarding a boycott; I simply asked why a boycott of the Olympics would work when history has shown us it does nothing. There is some good in all evil, just the way there is some evil in all good. Yin and Yang: everything exists in duality, with some parts crossing over into the other. Testosterone makes us males, but we all have some level of estrogen in our system, just as women, whose gender is dictated by estrogen have some testosterone. Yin and Yang.

I believe it was the Chinese who introduced that concept to us.
bassistx said:
It's like vegetarians donating to McDonald's House thingy.
It's just not right.
You truly think right and wrong exist in this world? That everything is black and white? Please don't tell me you are so naive: there is a whole number of shades of grey that you cannot see in between. Sometimes we have to make decisions we don't agree with; sometimes we have to do things that go agaisnt everything we stand for, simply because there is more good in doing it than in not doing it. Boycotting the Beijing Olympics might be morally right, but it will do nothing for Tibet. China will not care if we don't go; they'll just see more opportunities. And not going would be counter-productive to the spirit of the Olympics, which is designed to end things like the occupation of Tibet. By not going we will have effectively exploited the people twice: once by contributing nothing to their cause, and a second time by denying the global unity the Olympic Games are supposed to represent. And we would have done it all simply so we can sleep soundly at night. Like I said: there is some evil in all good, and some good in all evil. The ability to understand that - and live with it - is what separates good leaders from great leaders. But right now, you see the world as it is, and the world as it should be. You need to learn to see the gap in the middle.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC

not going to watch because its shit boring anyway
maybe 100m final in athletics, or 100m freestyle final

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A

A High Way Man said:
not going to watch because its shit boring anyway
maybe 100m final in athletics, or 100m freestyle final
Yeah, I'll be watching it though, the Olympics and the FIFA World Cup are the main sporting events that i ever look forward to. But FIFA FTMFW!!! :cool:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

Opening ceremony will be wowzers.

Don't underestimate China's creativity combined with general manpower.

Yeah I went there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)