THE BEST SUBJECT???? if it exists (1 Viewer)

foxy

i was made for lovin u...
visual arts because you get to do whatever you want in prac and in theory you get to give your opinion of artworks/artists! :D

Killah33

Extension English, Ancient History

I would have 2U RE in there, but it had excessive workload.

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by flyin'
latin ... need i say more ...
You need not! Latin moderators out in force. It was about the only subjct i enjoyed in years 11 and 12, we had the same class and teacher for four years so it was like an institution. Every Friday from year 7 ended with double Latin, kinda weird.

You did the COsmology distinction course Weisy? How was it? What sort of stuff do you do, 'cos im prettyu itnerested in astrophysics....

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yeah, I did it, and it was great. :cool: If you're interested in astrophysics you would have enjoyed it. We started off with the basic theories of Newtonian physics, equivalence, general relativity, then moved on to fundamental Big Bang theory, it's variants, and opposing theories like steady state and plasma theory. There was also some quantum physics. It was good because it was so up to date...so much more so than the HSC physics course. It's a paradox really, I liked cosmo because it was so scientifically existant and evolving, and Latin because it was dea. The majority of what fascinated me was stuff I had read in articles and books, outside the standard readings. We also did a little on observing and current astronomical progress, but it was mostly theories, which I prefer.

What are you planning to do next year? can you incorporate physics/astro into your course?

utopian731

Eudaimonian
I think i would have massacred that course!! Didou do anything on the ripple theory?

Im doin BLibStudies (Intl), so I can absically choose anything, but first year is all arts subjects, so maybe in second year

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
i enjoyed gen maths most coz i was good at it and it made sense. a right/wrong answer is so much more simple

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I found Physics and Chemistry (in that order) to be quite enjoyable.

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
3U english

3 unit english rocked!!!!

far better than adv and slightly better than 4u

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by utopian731
I think i would have massacred that course!! Didou do anything on the ripple theory?

Im doin BLibStudies (Intl), so I can absically choose anything, but first year is all arts subjects, so maybe in second year
Do you mean quantum foam?

(and why didn't you put in for a distinction course? It would've been fun to have you in cosmo, by the sound of things)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Weisy

(and why didn't you put in for a distinction course? It would've been fun to have you in cosmo, by the sound of things)
subtitles ... please ...
neh, dont worry ...:D :D :D

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Originally posted by Weisy

I dunno if its called quantum foam. The theory proposed in around 1997 by an Australian and a couple of American scientists that they had discovered "ripples" in the fabric of space-time that supported big bang theory, just like a pebble thrown into a pond. These ripples help to explain background radiation and why the temperature of the "empty" protions of the universe is 3K, not 0K.

I didnt know about the distinction courses, i would so have done it and not done chemistry.

what do you mean flyin, youve lost me

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC

I dunno if its called quantum foam. The theory proposed in around 1997 by an Australian and a couple of American scientists that they had discovered "ripples" in the fabric of space-time that supported big bang theory, just like a pebble thrown into a pond. These ripples help to explain background radiation and why the temperature of the "empty" protions of the universe is 3K, not 0K.
ahhh...no that's not quantum foam, that's just standard Big Bang theory, which started out by saying that if the initial temperature of the universe was extremely hot, given the backwards extrapolation possible from the current expansion rate of the universe, there should be some radiation left from the earliest times. The 3K background radiation was detected about 4 decades ago, but they hadn't found ripples in it. The ripples actually explain the theory because they indicate inconsistencies in the radiation, which over time could have formed structures in the universe. They didn't find the ripples until COBE discoevered then in 1992, I think.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Yeah, some parts of physics werent that bad, but It definately wasnt the best subject. None of my subjects were very good. I liked Art when I did it, and DT was good too, but the best ever subject I ever ever did was woodwork coz I love working with my hands and creating stuff.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by timmii
chemistry - interesting and straightforward, it also indulged my pyromanic tendencies [ can we test for hydrogen, please please??? I think we need to do a flame test....]
hee hee I liked chem too for the same reasons as you:D what made it really good was that our teacher was a pyro and everyone in our class were all pyros too. our teacher set up this experiment involving the usual stuff like toxic chemicals, explosions, lots of colourful fire and smoke. the explosion went off really well and made so much smoke that we had to run out of the room. after we recovered from the excitement he then said to us, 'that was cool. lets do it again, but this time lets use more.' I liked chem so much that Im doing it at uni this year.

I also liked ancient history because I found it interesting

Vampire Maharet

ANCIENT HISTORY ALL THE WAY!

lol just excuse me,im a psycho

well it's damn cool for the following reasons-

1.I happen to be a history freak anyway so that always helps
2.My class is really,made up of mostly friends and so we have heaps of fun
3.Our teacher is a legend and we can always get away with paying him out cause he just does it back to us.lol he's fully became our friend.Plus any teacher that has enough guts to do an actual visual representation of King Sneferu "smiting" his enemies is worth having
4.Not one lesson goes by without spontaneous laughter and jokes
5.Despite all the lack of work we appear to be doing,my friends and I are actually getting really good marks
6.To top it off I'm coming top of the class,which is always good :D

nomza

HSC
I would have to definately say MODERN HISTORY.
I got my best marks in modern and ancient (tied) but I did not enjoy both equally. I hated ancient, I would sleep in class and I swear to god that I never ONCE did my homework properly (mostly I would never do it at all)....

Modern really interested me, I loved it so much. I wasn't gonna choose it in year 11 because I didn't want to learn about wars and stuff, but it wasn't anything like I thought it would be like.

I absolutely hated Adv English but I ended up getting 90 for it in the HSC, 42 for ext 1 and 39 for ext 2. I guess maybe if I actually studied harder for English Adv and stopped getting so angry at how much I hated the course I might've done even better....coz I totally screwed up the two ext units. Oh well. Still did a billion times better than I expected.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Whats quantum foam theory?
*thinks back to major project*

Researchers studying quantum foam theory believe that the very fabric of four-dimensional spacetime is a seething foam of black holes and wormholes. ('nanoscopic' ones) Quantum fluctuations on a scale of 10^-35m (or thereabouts) in this foam signifcantly alter the geometry of the universe, resulting in the production of a countless variety of energy structures. UNSW and other overseas places are in the process of doing research on it, so although it sounds like a really farfetched idea, it only is because we can thus far understand it only on a superficial level.

I also have my own cool quantum foam theory. :D

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
i think i'd enjoy physics if i had the brains to understand it... if that makes any sense to anyone

monster

the best subject is definately ex 1 eng!!! it rocks... ad eng is so dry, bu i still enjoy it, kinda!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)