The Bible (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Oh no, you've misunderstood... I care about your religious beliefs, but why should any weight be given to the fact that you can manage to justify your religious text when the same can be done just as well with works of fiction such as the iliad? It's like 'Oh ok... so?'.

The sense in which the bible is accurate is much the same sense in which the iliad is accurate...

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
lengy said:
I don't see how offending die hard Harry Potter fans is any different from offending Christians about their Bible.
They don't believe that Harry Potter existed, and that its fantasy world exists (okay, mabye in their imaginations, but they're kids after all :) ).

The reason why its different is this. We're a presence in the world, there's no denying that. Offending muslims about the Qu'ran will have an effect, they're a presence, the same goes for offending Jews about the Torah and the books following it.

Die-hard Harry Potter fans....no presence, its just a following of little kids, they have no presence.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Oh no, you've misunderstood... I care about your religious beliefs, but why should any weight be given to the fact that you can manage to justify your religious text when the same can be done just as well with works of fiction such as the iliad.
Like i said, read my post when i answered this question. We're a presence in the world, attack the Bible, and people will prove you wrong.

Hmmm.....you trying to make me admit that there is no argument to give The Bible any more weight to a piece of fiction aren't you?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
The sense in which the bible is accurate is much the same sense in which the iliad is accurate...
Explain this. Might make my answers more accurate.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Hmmm.....you trying to make me admit that there is no argument to give The Bible any more weight to a piece of fiction aren't you?
No. I'm trying to make you admit that the fact that you can come up with these justifications for your religious text is of little importance as the same can be done for any work of fiction/religion/text.

I am aware that christians are a presence in the world... I read what you write.

The iliad is an old, hazy, partly fiction partly non-fiction work which could concievably be from the same sort of methods you, robbie1 and some other christian appologists have used, as 'justified' a document of truth.

lengy

HSC
There are alot of Harry Potter fans in the world, just like there are alot of believers in certain religions in the world. Yeah I can see the difference, if you offend a Harry Potter fan by drawing a satirical cartoon they don't threaten the cartoonists with death and jihad, they don't go into hysterics and claim crazy accusations.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
lengy said:
I don't see how offending die hard Harry Potter fans is any different from offending Christians about their Bible.
Probably because anyone who goes underground in fears of Voldemort rising should be taken to an asylum. There's a difference between an unhealthy obsession and core belief

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Probably because anyone who goes underground in fears of Voldemort rising should be taken to an asylum. There's a difference between an unhealthy obsession and core belief
True, that actually is the fundemental difference.

Legham

HSC
I'd consider anybody who believes in Lord Voldemort equally as stupid as anyone who believes in God. The only difference between the two, Voldemort was invented 10 (?) years ago, God was invented 2000 years ago.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
Legham said:
I'd consider anybody who believes in Lord Voldemort equally as stupid as anyone who believes in God. The only difference between the two, Voldemort was invented 10 (?) years ago, God was invented 2000 years ago.
err...God wasnt "invented" 2000 years ago

Legham

HSC
So correct me. When was the bible written? I was assuming there was no christian activity over 2000 (2007 if you want to be anal about it) years ago, because back then was BC, Before Christ.

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
S1M0 said:
lol to be honest i don't really care...

I'm over answering questions, but i can't leave your questions alone. The end result are responses that aren't rock sold/wrong/aren't good.
u sure a nobbjockey
u didn't answer my QA ??:angry:
do me a favour go to a catholic church and take some valium and wisky with u , have a great timein there poff..

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Legham said:
So correct me. When was the bible written? I was assuming there was no christian activity over 2000 (2007 if you want to be anal about it) years ago, because back then was BC, Before Christ.
God was around a lot longer than Jesus. Ever heard of the Old Testament?

Legham

HSC
Well then, just correct this sentence:
me said:
God was invented 2000 years ago.
to whenever the first bible was written.

Either way, my point remains the same.

stephenchow

HSC
robbie1 said:
This is a bit of a copy/paste job.....its a very good explanation though.
Lol. Thought you knew all about the Bible thus offering to answer ALL questions about it.

S1M0 said:
The reason why you should care is the reason why you would care for any of the 3 great religions.
Being popular and having the most people following a certain religion doesnt make it great. You could have more than half the world following Scientology and that still would not make it great.

S1M0 said:
The Vatican is a real presence in the world. Christians are the most populous followers of a religion in the world.
Only Catholics consider the Pope to have any say in their beliefs. All other variants consider him as nothing.

And about the Harry Potter fans. Die hard ones certaintly got cut when someone told them Snape killed Dumbledore.

robbie1

HSC
Mate, I never said I know everything about the Bible....I don't....far from it infact.

I am still learning. Its just that reading the Bible daily as I do brings up many questions. I have found that when I searched for answers, I found them and it then made sense.

So I made this thread for people who are reading or have read some of the Bible but don't bother to find explanations for confusing passages such as "not peace, but a sword".....they leave it at that and just tell themselves "this is a joke."

So if I am asked a question here and I do not know the answer (which is likely) I will seek the answer and when I find it I will post it here. What's wrong with that?

Interesting to see you have no comment about the explanation I provided you with. I assume it makes sense and you have nothing else to say on the matter.

Oh and by the way, Im pretty sure Ordothox believers (and some others) at least respect the Pope - so you cant say all non-Catholics see him as nothing.

meomeo

HSC
so like... gays are allowed : D

because jesus cancelled out all the old rules when he died which got rid of the one against gays.
I do realise god doesn't like sex outside of marriage, but he never said gays can't marry. He just really liked the idea of a man and a woman to be together.
: D right, right?

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
robbie1 said:
Oh and by the way, Im pretty sure Ordothox believers (and some others) at least respect the Pope - so you cant say all non-Catholics see him as nothing.
There's a huge difference between respecting a person and believing they're the earthly representative of God. Or whatever it is that the Catholics believe about the Pope.
Most branches of the Protestant half of Christianity agree that no man can be between you and God, and the only way to talk to God is to do it yourself, not through a priest, or confession, or whatever. The idea of someone claiming to be the be-all and end all of religious matters I found personally abhorrent, back when I used to actually consider myself a Christian.

As to posting in this thread, I'm going to go with the side that agrees the entire basis for the religion is flawed, and proving quotes from a book written by men, using other quotes also written by men, is a futile exercise and misses the point completely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)