The Butterfly Effect (1 Viewer)

jennieTalia

HSC
Awesome for belonging?

It shows the main character (evan) in different social groups and such, exploring different levels of belonging.

Evan: Hey Thumper, you got the time?
Thumper: Whatsa matter, you lost your Rolex? Fuck you frat-boy!

Evan: I just thought that you should know.
Kayleigh Miller: Know what?
Evan: That you were happy once... with me.
Kayleigh Miller: You know there's one major hole in your story, there is no fucking way on this planet, nor any other I would ever be in some fucking sorority.
Evan: [Whispering] You were happy there...

Different experiences can lead to different emotions and senses of belonging.
There's also instances of belonging to different groups within gaol etc (even crudely with a sense of initiation( [to the neo-Nazi inmates] So, should I suck your dick now? )
Perhaps it suggests how flimsy our notions of belonging are, or how close a call it is to belong to a different group.

Jason Treborn: You can't change who people are without destroying who they were.

There is also an idea of belonging with someone, a sense of destiny. The whole film is basically about him wanting to belong with his childhood sweetheart.

The Psychic: You have no lifeline, you were never meant to exist.

I think the film also brings up the idea of responsibility within the world you belong to, or to the society.

bored of sc

HSC
Thank you. I will consider having this one up my sleeve if need be. :) The trouble is I am already doing Summer Heights High so I would be doubling up the visual/film medium.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)