The Coles Thread (2 Viewers)

gemmal

HSC
bdude said:
What do you mean by checking CC details?
The credit card number on the EFT, we have to check it against the number on the card. We only started doing it today, annoying as!

toristar

HSC
Hi, I need help.
So I did the induction thing (watching videos, signing stuff) and then got called in for six hours register training. Basically I had headphones on and was staring at this computer all day.
And I have another shift in a couple of days.
But the problem is I'm not 100% confident yet. A lot of the stuff went over my head.
I honestly dont think 6 hours is sufficent training time, especially when I didn't even get a chance to do anything in real life.
Is there another step to training?
I'm super nervous now.

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
milocole said:
Just wondering if any other coles employee has been in the same situation. Tonight before my 6pm start, I put my jumper with my wallet tucket into it, and stored it ontop of the lockers, seing I dont have a key (basically no casuals do..). Anyway, when I got home and checked my bank balance receipts (I took out $60 just before starting work), I see absolutely NOTHING beside the ATM receipt. I had 2x20 Notes and a 10dollar note(I spent the other ten..), and there is just my receipt left. Why the fuck do people do this?? Because Im going to make them jobless soon. Anyway, during my shift I work in Dairy, and the dairy case runs alongside the entrance to the tea room, where the changerooms are in also. Between 6-9pm, there was only 6 other guys working, and they all started at 6, expect a few latecomers..

So, would Managment care about this shit??, or would they just say be more carefull in the future. Im so sick of this shit, and Im certianly going to nail this person. Would managment use CCTV to see access in the Tea-room, and find out if anyone entered when they shoudln't have??

THANKS GUYS! I just want my $50 back!
same thing happened to me! i used to just chuck my bag on top of the lockers cos there weren't any spare ones. then i left one day and went to buy something in the food court after my shift to find $50 gone...i told my manager at the start of my next shift; she was sympathetic but couldn't do anything about it. apparently it was just one incident in a string of thefts. you should definitely tell a manager asap, it may help confirm any suspicions they have about anyone... and if it happens again, tell them as soon as you realise, i was told i should've done that. you won't be able to get your money back, but hopefully the scummy stealer will be identified

greekgun

HSC
toristar said:
Hi, I need help.
So I did the induction thing (watching videos, signing stuff) and then got called in for six hours register training. Basically I had headphones on and was staring at this computer all day.
And I have another shift in a couple of days.
But the problem is I'm not 100% confident yet. A lot of the stuff went over my head.
I honestly dont think 6 hours is sufficent training time, especially when I didn't even get a chance to do anything in real life.
Is there another step to training?
I'm super nervous now.
No there shouldnt be anymore training;they will put u on a register - and hopefully its during a time when it not busy. They will probs put a learner sign on ur register so people know that ur new. If u have any trouble, u can always call ur supervisor to help or to ask questions or u can ask the people working around u.

Just remeber, when ur scanning, try not to pick up an item, look for the barcode, and then scan it - just pick up the item and move it around the scanner and flip it over and whatnot til it scans. Dont panic if ur going slow, if a customer gets angry with u tell them to go shop at safeway. And also, dont try and remember the codes for fruit at the moment, just use the visual verify stuff under the fresh produce catalogue (eg- to enter cucumber type in cu and press the pic of the cucumebr). For apples and stuff, use the codes on the stickers they put on them. Other than that dont worry, take ur time. Half the shit u learn from the computer stuff u will never use.

toristar

HSC
greekgun said:
No there shouldnt be anymore training;they will put u on a register - and hopefully its during a time when it not busy. They will probs put a learner sign on ur register so people know that ur new. If u have any trouble, u can always call ur supervisor to help or to ask questions or u can ask the people working around u.

Just remeber, when ur scanning, try not to pick up an item, look for the barcode, and then scan it - just pick up the item and move it around the scanner and flip it over and whatnot til it scans. Dont panic if ur going slow, if a customer gets angry with u tell them to go shop at safeway. And also, dont try and remember the codes for fruit at the moment, just use the visual verify stuff under the fresh produce catalogue (eg- to enter cucumber type in cu and press the pic of the cucumebr). For apples and stuff, use the codes on the stickers they put on them. Other than that dont worry, take ur time. Half the shit u learn from the computer stuff u will never use.
Really .... wow! Thats so strange that that is all my training. Oh well, if customers or my supervisor get mad at me I will just grin and bear it.

Thanks for the reply.
I think I will be okay with the basics.
Like I am pretty familiar with accepting payment and I should be okay bagging things.
The only thing is all that shit about home delivery, gift vouchers (that go through the printer or whatever) and manual eftpos stuff. etc. I doubt I will need these things on a regular basis but still I'm so worried. haha.
Oh yeah and one more thing - clearances?
How often do I have to do them. And what do I have to print off again? And they go up the sodding chute?! wtf. I've never seen that before. I'll probably just call my supervisor to get her to show me. Haha.

Thanks!

jirwin

HSC
When I started, I also did the 6hr register training and I can't remember a damn thing from it. Nor do you use much from it. I had my next shift the next day but I was put on a register that had someone working on the register behind me so I could easily get help. The computer basically does everything for you.

With home delivery/cheque etc just either ask for help from the person next to you or call your supervisor. I said to the customer 'I just have to get help from my supervisor because I've never done this before' and they were fine with it. called my supervisor and she came down and helped. I've been working 6months and I will still have to call for help because its been six months since I did it and so I don't understand it but my supervisors have been really good about things and stuff ups I've made so don't panic.

As with clearances, I don't know about your store but we now do them ourselves. We used to have to call for a supervisor and stuff but not anymore. Our registers tell us when a clearance needs to be done, or we just keep an eye on the $50 notes (especially busy times). Basically when the register tells you to do it, do it as soon as possible. (By pressing 'yes') otherwise its under Operator - No Sale - Clearance(cash). In both cases the drawer will open. you take out the cash you want to send up. shut the drawer and the printer will print the slip. the money and slip goes into the clearance bags which are sealed, turned in side out kind of, and then sent up the chute. Also if you not confident about this, just ask another worker or your supervisor to explain/show you and you will be right :)

Also, take greekgun's advice about barcodes and fresh produce. I sometimes look for a barcode if the product hasnt scaned after several attempts/flips, otherwise I don't. After several thousand times of doing apples and fresh produce you will come to remember the codes. I still don't know all of them - even some of my supervisors don't know all of them, specially since they change or they go out of season and new ones come in and you have to remember them all over again.

I'll stop this long post. PM me or post here if you need any other help/advice and I'll try and answer your questions :)

CieL

HSC
bdude said:
We've had ours back for a while now.

Also, when do staff discount cards get issued?
Damn.. we still don't have our signs and I still get abused by people for not having a sign..

Staff discount cards get issued after approx 3 months after you've started working.. Ask the people in the cash office for your card.. Or a manager that has access to that office..
Most of the time at my store there'd be a sheet of paper on the bulletin board with people's names on it when a batch of cards have arrived..
You'll get a new one every half year.

bdude

HSC
Our registers tell us when a clearance needs to be done, or we just keep an eye on the $50 notes (especially busy times). Basically when the register tells you to do it, do it as soon as possible. (By pressing 'yes') otherwise its under Operator - No Sale - Clearance(cash).
I'd try and do it before the register tells you - I've found that I'll have a heap of money and the clearence alert hasn't even gone off.

Staff discount cards get issued after approx 3 months after you've started working.. Ask the people in the cash office for your card.. Or a manager that has access to that office..
Most of the time at my store there'd be a sheet of paper on the bulletin board with people's names on it when a batch of cards have arrived..
You'll get a new one every half year.
Do you have to wait for the half year before you can get one?

mitch179

HSC
bdude said:
I'd try and do it before the register tells you - I've found that I'll have a heap of money and the clearence alert hasn't even gone off.

Do you have to wait for the half year before you can get one?
No, when you first start at Coles/Target/K-Mart etc.
It is 3 months before your first one is issued. Then, every 6 months, they send out new ones for all employees because as you may have already noticed, the card is not of very high quality and by the end of 6 months, i'm sure most people's are fairly damaged.

The next batch of new ones should be coming soon, i'm fairly sure the current ones expire at the end of November.

jellybelly08

HSC
I want to work as a night fill person. Should I just go and ask the local manager? Or are the jobs listed online the only ones available?

jirwin

HSC
mitch179 said:
No, when you first start at Coles/Target/K-Mart etc.
It is 3 months before your first one is issued. Then, every 6 months, they send out new ones for all employees because as you may have already noticed, the card is not of very high quality and by the end of 6 months, i'm sure most people's are fairly damaged.

The next batch of new ones should be coming soon, i'm fairly sure the current ones expire at the end of November.
I've only had mine for about two months and its already damaged - rarely scans, the ink on the barcode has smudged so its unreadable to the scanner. Can't wait for a new one.

greekgun

HSC
jirwin said:
I've only had mine for about two months and its already damaged - rarely scans, the ink on the barcode has smudged so its unreadable to the scanner. Can't wait for a new one.
Coles really needs to increase the discount we get. Seriously, 5% is nothing, that chump change - we might as well have no discount at all.

bdude

HSC
Definitely! They also need to make it so that it doesn't take 10 seconds after I scan the card for the discount to actually come up.

N-voe

HSC
jellybelly08 said:
I want to work as a night fill person. Should I just go and ask the local manager? Or are the jobs listed online the only ones available?
If you keep your eyes peeled, your local Coles might have a notice saying that they are in need of staff. I suppose it's easier for them to hire people who live nearby than to bother to interview someone who lives a million miles away.
That's how I got my job (even though I applied online -_- i got the interview based off my 'expression of interest' form that i filled out)

there's no harm in asking :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)