The correct answers to commonly asked questions- read before you post. (1 Viewer)

ccc123

HSC
Note: This is an old post, and some of the information it contains may be out of date.

FAQ: The correct answers to commonly asked questions- read before you post.

So ok, I've noticed that the same questions were coming up again and again, and I'm stupendously bored. Hence, I've devised an FAQ.

Q. Can someone give me a fairly correct estimation on my UAI? My marks and ranks are....

A.
There is no possible way to obtain a 'correct' estimation of your UAI, especially if it is early on in the HSC year. Remember that the external exam is worth 50% and it is thus crucial to perform well in these, as this is the most important assessment of all.

Q. I'vc screwed up an HSC assessment worth [insert weighting]. Can I still achieve my UAI aim? OMGF.

A.
Generally speaking, performing badly in one assessment will not have a major impact on your UAI. However, if there is a continuous pattern of poor marks, needless to say, it will have an impact.

Q. What happens if i stuff up the trials? Is it game over?

A.
Since the trials will often be worth 40-50% of your assessment mark, performing very poorly in the trials can have a significantly detrimental impact on your final rankings and thus your final HSC marks. However, it is never game over and if you perform extra well if the external exams, you should be able to negate the effects of low trial results.

Q. I really need [insert some insanely high UAI] but I'm kinda failing everything. What can I do???

A.
You need to be realistic with UAI and career aspirations. It is not feasible to be wanting a UAI of 99+ and failing your subjects. If this is the case for you, consider alternative uni options that don't require a UAI as high.

Q. I go to a shit school :(. Can I still get a good UAI?

A.
Yes. If you perform well as an individual, you will get a good UAI.

Q. I heard that only people from selective schools get really good UAI's. Is this true?

A.
No. I go to a comprehensive school, and in 2006 we got 3 perfect UAI's, 9 over 99's, and 72 over 90's. For the most part, it depends on the individuals, not the school.

Q. Is it true if you go to a selective school like James Ruse, you are pretty much guarenteed a 99+ UAI?

A.
No.

Q. I'm doing low-scaling subjects. Can I still get a good UAI?

A.
Yes. You can get a practically perfect UAI with any combination of subjects.

Q. Can someone tell me what subjects scale well and what subjects don't?

Scaling will change from year to year, so it cannot be determined how subjects will scale in the future. However, Without Wings has posted the links if you want to see how certain subjects scaled in 2001-02. Please look at all the very helpful links Without Wings posts constantly as people ask the same old questions over and over.

Q. Can you get a band 5/6 in Standard English?

Yes, although traditionally, there will be more band 5's and 6's in Advanced English. Here are the statistics from past HSC years:

2006:
Advanced English
Band 6 (5.99%)
Band 5 (32.74%

Standard English
Band 6 (.02%)
Band 5 (3.24%)

2005:
Advanced English
Band 6 (7.95%)
Band 5 (37.84%)

Standard English
Band 6 (.01%)
Band 5 (2.36%)

2004:
Advanced English
Band 6 (7.56%)
Band 5 (42.53%)

Standard English
Band 6 -
Band 5 (1.97%)

Source: Board of Studies.

Q. How do they calculate your UAI/ How does scaling work?

A.
Very few people fully understand the highly complex scaling process, and it is frequently explained incorrectly. For correct information on how UAI calculation and scaling works, click on the below link to the UAC website:

http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uai.html

You may also find the following threads useful, though I cannot guarentee all information provided is factually correct:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=6642
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=60687
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=10442

Q. My UAI is lower than my average mark! What the hell?

A.
The UAI is a rank, not a mark. There is a complex modification process that is undertaken in the calculation of the UAI, and there does not necessarily have to be any clear correlation between your marks and the UAI.

Q. SAM and JUAI lied to me!!!!!!! My UAI was lower than what both predicated. What the hell?

A.
SAM and JUAI are both modellers. They estimate your UAI based on what it would have been if you had done the HSC in previous years. As scaling changes from year to year, you cannot expect that either will give you a correct estimation every time.

Q. What's the secret to achieving 90+ for your UAI?

A.
There is no 'secret'. A good UAI is a result of a combination of factors, including natural aptitude, good subject selection, and scaling. Above all though, a good UAI is the product of hard work. :)

Q.Which is more important, ranks or marks?

A.
In terms of your final HSC marks and UAI, your raw assessment marks are irrelevant, as they undergo a process of moderation based on your rankings. For this reason, your rank is more important than your mark.

Q. Can someone explain to me how internal marks are moderated to calculate the final HSC mark?

A.
Ok. So your HSC mark is 50% internal and 50% external. However, your internal marks will undergo a process of moderation. This serves as an equaliser if some schools have harder assessments or marks easier etc etc.

So, for example:

Lets say the top three assessment marks submitted by School A are as follows:

And School B's top three assessment marks submitted are:

BUT in the exam, the top three marks for School A are:

and School B:

In this case, the marks are moderated so that the internal (i.e assessment) marks of the top three internally ranked students are changed to whatever the top three exam marks were in that school:

So, this would mean that in School A, the moderated assessment marks for the top 3 internally ranked students would be:

and in School B:

The HSC marks of these students would then be calculated with consideration of the exam mark.

For example, lets say in School A, the student ranked first internally achieved an exam mark of 90.

In this case, their HSC mark would be the average of 94 (their moderated assessment mark) and 90 (thier exam mark). This student would thus have an HSC mark of 92. In this sense, it is clear that the performance of your cohort can affect your assessment mark. However, if you are ranked 1st in both internal and external you will not be affected by the performance of other students in your school.

I'll edit this as I think of/notice more commonly asked questions/am informed of any errors/deficiencies.

Thankyou.

_END.

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Re: IMPORTANT: The correct answers to commonly asked questions- read before you post.

The Universities Admissions Centre also provides some good information on the scaling process and general UAI information. Click on this to go to their webpage about the UAI.

ccc123

HSC
Re: IMPORTANT: The correct answers to commonly asked questions- read before you post.

SoulSearcher said:
The Universities Admissions Centre also provides some good information on the scaling process and general UAI information. Click on this to go to their webpage about the UAI.
True. Forgot to mention that's a reliable source as well.

me121

Premium Member
HSC

ccc123 said:

A. Yes. You can get a perfect UAI with any combination of subjects.
Well, that depends what you mean by perfect. If by perfect you mean a UAI of 100, then this is not true. There is the possibility that you can get aligned marks of 50/50 for each of your 10 units and still not get a UAI of 100. For 2 reasons, 1, the UAI is a rank, 2, the scaling of some subjects is pretty terrible compared to other subjects.

ccc123 said:

Scaling will change from year to year, so it cannot be determined how subjects will scale in the future. However, Without Wings has posted the links if you want to see how certain subjects scaled in 2001-02.
UAC publishes how subjects scale for each year, however I can't seem to locate the data from 01-03. You can obtain this data from their web site. (Table A3)

ccc123 said:

A. Very few people fully understand the highly complex scaling process, and it is frequently explained incorrectly. For correct information on how UAI calculation and scaling works, go to the Board of Studies website, and follow the relevant links. This is the only source you should trust for information in scaling, as there are a lot of rumours out there.
The Board has nothing to do with the calculation of the UAI, hence you will not find any information there. You can however obtain information from UAC's web site.

ccc123

HSC

me121 said:
Well, that depends what you mean by perfect. If by perfect you mean a UAI of 100, then this is not true. There is the possibility that you can get aligned marks of 50/50 for each of your 10 units and still not get a UAI of 100. For 2 reasons, 1, the UAI is a rank, 2, the scaling of some subjects is pretty terrible compared to other subjects..
I am fairly sure you can get a UAI of 100.00 with any combination of subjects, if not very close.

me121 said:
The Board has nothing to do with the calculation of the UAI, hence you will not find any information there. You can however obtain information from UAC's web site.
No, it doesn't, but it has reliable links to comprehensive and correct explanations on scaling and the UAI.

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC

ccc123 said:
I am fairly sure you can get a UAI of 100.00 with any combination of subjects, if not very close.
Well, put it this way, if in 2007 HSC, I got the same mark for each of the following subjects as the person who topped the state in that subject I would get a UAI of 98.4 (+- 0.2) (as well as topping the state in 5 subjects).

Eng Std
Aboriginal Studies
Arabic Continuer's
Industrial Technology
General Maths.

ccc123 said:
No, it doesn't, but it has reliable links to comprehensive and correct explanations on scaling and the UAI.
Last time I checked, it did not have links to UAC, as UAC is the only source with reliable info. http://www.uac.edu.au/

me121

Premium Member
HSC

Without Wings said:
The Board of Studies does link to UAC. They tend to provide links/mention UAC when discussing the UAI.

So whilst the Board of Studies isn't in charge of the calculation of UAI's they do provide basic information and refer you to UAC for further info.

Ultimately though the quickest way to get info is to go directly to UAC, but if you do go via Board of Studies you will find your way also. :)
Okay, this is the nature of the web, its all hyperlinked together. But if you want info on the UAI, like Without Wings said, it would be quickest to go directly to UAC.

ccc123

HSC

Ok, I correct myself :rolleyes: : If you want reliable information on scaling and the UAI and want the most direct link, go to the UAC site provided by me121.

undalay

HSC

UAI caps on subjects do exist.

me121

Premium Member
HSC

undalay said:
Yes.

But I better clarify this. This is not predetermined, it is just a possible outcome of the scaling algorithm. Just because it happened in the past for a particular subject doesn't mean the same will happen the next year. Although you would expect the trends to be a bit consistent.

ccc123

HSC

undalay said:
Yes, this is true, and undertaking many subjects which are traditionally capped can affect your UAI negatively. However, what i was trying to clarify is that taking capped subjects does not automatically result in a low UAI.

ccc123

HSC

me121 said:
Yes.

But I better clarify this. This is not predetermined, it is just a possible outcome of the scaling algorithm. Just because it happened in the past for a particular subject doesn't mean the same will happen the next year. Although you would expect the trends to be a bit consistent.
Yep, this is true also. Strictly speaking, you can't actually tell which subjects will be 'capped' in the future, because scaling changes from year to year. However, as me121 pointed out, because certain subjects attract a certain calibre of students, there are trends (whcih is why people talk about 'low-scaling and high-scaling subjects).

fantabulous

HSC

ccc123 said:
So ok, I've noticed that the same questions were coming up again and again. Hence, I've gone to the trouble of devising a Q and A. Enjoy!

Q. Can someone give me a fairly correct estimation on my UAI? My marks and ranks are....

A. There is no possible way to obtain a 'correct' estimation of your UAI, especially if it is early on in the HSC year. Remember that the external exam is worth 50% and it is thus crucial to perform well in these, as this is the most important assessment of all.

Q. I'vc screwed up an HSC assessment worth [insert weighting]. Can I still achieve my UAI aim? OMGF.

A. Generally speaking, performing badly in one assessment will not have a major impact on your UAI. However, if there is a continuous pattern of poor marks, needless to say, it will have an impact.

Q. I really need [insert some insanely high UAI] but I'm kinda failing everything. What can I do???

A. You need to be realistic with UAI and career aspirations. It is not feasible to be wanting a UAI of 99+ and failing your subjects. If this is the case for you, consider alternative uni options that don't require a UAI as high.

Q. I go to a shit school :(. Can I still get a good UAI?

A. Yes. If you perform well as an individual, you will get a good UAI.

Q. I heard that only people from selective schools get really good UAI's. Is this true?

A. No. I go to a comprehensive school, and in 2006 we got 3 perfect UAI's, 9 over 99's, and 72 over 90's. For the most part, it depends on the individuals, not the school.

Scaling will change from year to year, so it cannot be determined how subjects will scale in the future. However, Without Wings has posted the links if you want to see how certain subjects scaled in 2001-02.

Q. Can you get a band 5/6 in Standard English?

Yes, although traditionally, there will be more band 5's and 6's in Advanced English. Here are the statistics from past HSC years:

2006:
Advanced English
Band 6 (5.99%)
Band 5 (32.74%

Standard English
Band 6 (.02%)
Band 5 (3.24%)

2005:
Advanced English
Band 6 (7.95%)
Band 5 (37.84%)

Standard English
Band 6 (.01%)
Band 5 (2.36%)

2004:
Advanced English
Band 6 (7.56%)
Band 5 (42.53%)

Standard English
Band 6 -
Band 5 (1.97%)

Source: Board of Studies.

A. Very few people fully understand the highly complex scaling process, and it is frequently explained incorrectly. For correct information on how UAI calculation and scaling works, go to the Board of Studies website, and follow the relevant links. This is the only source you should trust for information in scaling, as there are a lot of rumours out there.

Q. My UAI is lower than my average mark! What the hell?

A. The UAI is a rank, not a mark. There is a complex modification process that is undertaken in the calculation of the UAI, and there does not necessarily have to be any clear correlation between your marks and the UAI.

Q. SAM and JUAI lied to me!!!!!!! My UAI was lower than what both predicated. What the hell?

A. SAM and JUAI are both modellers. They estimate your UAI based on what it would have been if you had done the HSC in previous years. As scaling changes from year to year, you cannot expect that either will give you a correct estimation every time.

Q. What's the secret to achieving 90+ for your UAI?

A. There is no 'secret'. A good UAI is a result of a combination of factors, including natural aptitude, good subject selection, and scaling. Above all though, a good UAI is the product of hard work. :)

I'll edit this as I think of/notice more commonly asked questions.

Thankyou.

_END.

All true, except that if you have a combination of all capped subjects, you may not be able to achieve a perfect UAI. However, as ccc123 said, you can achieve dam close.

Good advice.

me121

Premium Member
HSC

ccc123 said:
Yep, this is true also. Strictly speaking, you can't actually tell which subjects will be 'capped' in the future, because scaling changes from year to year. However, as me121 pointed out, because certain subjects attract a certain calibre of students, there are trends (whcih is why people talk about 'low-scaling and high-scaling subjects).
Wow, you really know what you are talking about. That is 100% correct.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC

ccc123 said:

No, you cannot. There are some subjects which are so low scaling that even 100 in everything will not give you 100 UAI.

ccc123 said:
However, what i was trying to clarify is that taking capped subjects does not automatically result in a low UAI.
Perhaps you should edit the word "perfect". Not low =/= perfect. Good =/= perfect. Even very good =/= perfect.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

ccc123 said:

Due to horrible scaling for some subjects, even if you TOP the state, you won't get scaled mark over 45/50. Good example of this is an Industrial Technology. I have quickly looked over the scaling report and I could roughly about 20 subjects like that if not more. As me121 said, UAI is a rank not a mark. It also really depends on how others perform. It's not an individual thing. UAI reflects where you position is at in relation to other students.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A

minijumbuk said:
No, you cannot. There are some subjects which are so low scaling that even 100 in everything will not give you 100 UAI.
This is correct due to the scaling down of some subjects you will not get a 100 UAI even if you get 100 in all your subjects. For example i do
textiles and design
IT
IPT
Studies of religion
Standard english
General maths

I would not get a 100 UAI in my subjects even if i got 100% in all

HSC

shouldnt this thread be pinned so people actually read/see it ...........

ccc123

HSC

lyounamu said:
ccc123 said:

Due to horrible scaling for some subjects, even if you TOP the state, you won't get scaled mark over 45/50. Good example of this is an Industrial Technology. I have quickly looked over the scaling report and I could roughly about 20 subjects like that if not more. As me121 said, UAI is a rank not a mark. It also really depends on how others perform. It's not an individual thing. UAI reflects where you position is at in relation to other students.
Yep, this error has already been brought to my attention. Have edited original post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)