The Cricket Thread (2 Viewers)

Lentern

HSC
Re: The Official Cricket Thread

Haha especially after Hussey and that other guy yesterday (lol forgot who it was)

And yeah there are also heaps of bitches there. The attitudes of some of the younger players who think they're top shit. *sigh*

The Indian team is so old (with tendulkar, dravid, sehwag, laxman ect). That's their whole top order lol.
They need to start flushing in some new blood slowly (even if they get a little crapper).
They have been, you need to factor in that in India they don't have the hierarchy of formats that they have here, the three formats of the game are largely viewed with similar prestige and through the three formats of the game Yuvraj, Raina, Rohit Sharma, Kohli, Pathan, Patel and Gambhir are all getting good experience at an international level. Will they be able to fill the void of Tendulkar and Dravid? Probably not but they need to be accepting of the fact that those two are far and away the two greatest batsman to play for India and that they cannot expect a couple of them to come along every era. Will they be replaced by competent test batsman? I'm confident they will.

Lentern

HSC

I never said I hated Dravid. I consider him a class act and his Bradman oration was very respectable.

Only singled out Sachin because, well, he's Sachin.
Always hated them except Sachin, sort of implied to me all of them except Sachin.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

They have been, you need to factor in that in India they don't have the hierarchy of formats that they have here, the three formats of the game are largely viewed with similar prestige and through the three formats of the game Yuvraj, Raina, Rohit Sharma, Kohli, Pathan, Patel and Gambhir are all getting good experience at an international level. Will they be able to fill the void of Tendulkar and Dravid? Probably not but they need to be accepting of the fact that those two are far and away the two greatest batsman to play for India and that they cannot expect a couple of them to come along every era. Will they be replaced by competent test batsman? I'm confident they will.
That's true, but there is still an overreliance of 'wondermen' in the top order such as Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Sehwag (the first 3 are ~38 and sehwag is 33).
I can still see your point though about how you can't really replace these players..

Lentern

HSC

That's true, but there is still an overreliance of 'wondermen' in the top order such as Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Sehwag (the first 3 are ~38 and sehwag is 33).
I can still see your point though about how you can't really replace these players..
Laxman has been brought in and out a lot more than the others. He has had a very good run in Australia which has skewed a lot of peoples views of him when in fact he has had a frightfully inconsistent career, yo-yoing in and out of form a lot. But it's difficult to justify fleshing out these new talents when Laxman and Sehwag are in form, it would have been like us dropping Langer or what not, and when you have those four in the side they will invariably end up scoring a lot of the proportion of runs. You're right, they will suffer when they retire but there isn't really a better way of managing them I don't think. Curiously there is a kid called Manoj Tiwary who has been absolutely dominating first class cricket for about five years now who they haven't seen fit to give a test match when VVS was out of form of when Ganguly retired etc. I have only seem him once myself but from what I've read he stands out above the pack as having a sort of Tendulkar/Lara/Ponting x-factor about him.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Haha especially after Hussey and that other guy yesterday (lol forgot who it was)

And yeah there are also heaps of bitches there. The attitudes of some of the younger players who think they're top shit. *sigh*

The Indian team is so old (with tendulkar, dravid, sehwag, laxman ect). That's their whole top order lol.
They need to start flushing in some new blood slowly (even if they get a little crapper).
Yeah, saw their first innings and their ages was like 36, 38, 38, 38, 38, etc. And I was like "lolwtf, australian selectors nowadays would never allow that. never."

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

Yeah, saw their first innings and their ages was like 36, 38, 38, 38, 38, etc. And I was like "lolwtf, australian selectors nowadays would never allow that. never."
Different situation though - the Indian top order is for the most part in great form. Although Tendulkar hasn't hit a century since March or something he quite obviously was smoking us for his 73. Dravid is the leading run scorer in Tests this year. Sehwag just smashed 219 in an ODI. Not really sure about Laxman but he is still a very good player.

Australia on the other hand, none of our older plays compare except for Ponting who hasn't been in great form.

90atar

HSC

Hussey needs to go out on a limb and have a go tomorrow morning, they need a lead of at least 275.

halapenyo

HSC

Hussey needs to go out on a limb and have a go tomorrow morning, they need a lead of at least 275.
yeah this. pattinson is pretty good defensively so we have a chance of getting around that.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

Laxman has been brought in and out a lot more than the others. He has had a very good run in Australia which has skewed a lot of peoples views of him when in fact he has had a frightfully inconsistent career, yo-yoing in and out of form a lot. But it's difficult to justify fleshing out these new talents when Laxman and Sehwag are in form, it would have been like us dropping Langer or what not, and when you have those four in the side they will invariably end up scoring a lot of the proportion of runs. You're right, they will suffer when they retire but there isn't really a better way of managing them I don't think. Curiously there is a kid called Manoj Tiwary who has been absolutely dominating first class cricket for about five years now who they haven't seen fit to give a test match when VVS was out of form of when Ganguly retired etc. I have only seem him once myself but from what I've read he stands out above the pack as having a sort of Tendulkar/Lara/Ponting x-factor about him.
It should be dealt with in a slow process (probably should've started a couple of years ago). Maybe over a couple of years letting some younger players play in the top order (ie Tiwary). India will be losing more frequently and be crapper generally, but all teams have their spells of bad playing.

In the long term it'd be a good strategy.

Then again, there's also public opinion and all that which will prevent any such decisions from probably being made (ie people will want to see the older top order continue playing regardless of the longter effects, for short term gains and wins)

Lentern

HSC

It should be dealt with in a slow process (probably should've started a couple of years ago). Maybe over a couple of years letting some younger players play in the top order (ie Tiwary). India will be losing more frequently and be crapper generally, but all teams have their spells of bad playing.

In the long term it'd be a good strategy.
But that's what has been happening as I said with Yuvraj, Raina, Sharma, Kohli, Gambhir, Patel, Khartik etc.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

And they have to chase 290-odd to win...

Hmm, dunno what's gonna happen.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

Happy Australia won but disappointed India lost because I had a multi-bet on and that's all I needed :(

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

India was terrible throughout the whole match.

Lentern

HSC

It's hard to tell after one test, he could have been underprepared but Laxman looked absolutely useless when he was out there. This big, lumbering figure who was slow on his timing, misjudging the line etc. The rest (didn't see Kholi bat really) looked like they could score runs, they just didn't, only takes one ball to get out etc but Laxman was just blundering his way through like a man twice his age. I'm not sold on Ashwin over Ohja either although if he's worth thirty with the bat he might as well stay in for now. Aus should not let the mediocre showing by India delude them into thinking they are without problems, Hussey and Hilfenhaus both road a tremendous amount of luck in the second innings without which the score would probably not have reached 200, against a fairly insipid bowling attack it must be said that's really not test quality batting. Also Lyon, one wicket for 91 and the one wicket was Yadav... One day India will get a big partnership like Tendulkar and Dravid threatened on day two and if that happens we will need a spinner who can apply some pressure, not get calmly worked for four an over.

halapenyo

HSC

our fast bowling attack looks good. Pattinson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Watson, Cummins, Harris. and a few other guys like Starc, Hazlewood and Copeland hanging around.

tbf to Lyon that pitch was pretty harsh on spinners. the real test for him will be at the SCG and Adelaide.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC

any BoS-ers going to the SCG test match?
BoS Cricket Meat???

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

never watched cricket live before, not sure what to expect or what the view will be like

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)