The Crucible - Related Texts (1 Viewer)

Nineflames

HSC
I need a related text that I can use with the Crucible in relation to People and Politics, preferably a film, as I don't think I have enough time for a novel (poor organisation on my part, I know).

I'm looking for a film that I can easily relate to the main themes of the Crucible, where there is a decent amount of overlap that I can discuss the ideas raised. As well as this, I guess an allegory would be best, where the author has some sort of personal comment on politics so I can discuss the representation aspect.

Just in case, here are a few things we've covered in the Crucible:

- The power of the state triumphing over the power of the individual

- How Miller condemns the McCarthy trials

- Miller shows the characteristics of a true democracy, unlike the America that he lived in at the time: The silencing of voices, how locking people out of the political process, can be dangerous (Abigail, as a dis-empowered, young female) as once they gain power, they are unpredictable and they don't use it well (Abigail becomes so politically powerful that she threatens Danforth, and she uses her gained power for personal vengeance). Representing that all people must have a say in politics.

- Similar to the previous point, the repressive society of the Puritans doesn't allow the people to cohere, bond or come together as a society, fracturing the community. With no outlet for their feelings, resentment, hate and jealousy fester and in such a situation, these emotions "explode", causing the chaos in Salem. Once again, Miller's idea that in a democracy, everyone must have a say.

- The "with us or against us" idea that America has adopted (in reference to the McCarthy Trials), the demonizing of the "other"

- The archetypal characters and the very specific prose inserts that Miller uses to represent clearly what he wants and how those characters mirror the types of people in situations such as these. Putnam as an example of those who enable the process, and Miller uses Proctor and Rebecca as examples of bystanders, how you must intervene if something goes against your beliefs and values, etc, because once the hysteria spreads, you may become a victim.

- Political motivations: Power, vengeance, envy

- The hysteria consumes the community, growing out of control

- The political scapegoats, targeting the vulnerable

- Corruption, seen through Danforth

I probably missed a few, so feel free to raise any more

Whovian99

HSC
I did Fahrenheit 451 as my related text and is quite a perfect match to The Crucible as both mediums are influenced by the corruption and ill political motivations of McCarthyism.

These novels (or you can use the film) are studied through comparison/contrast of medium and political intentions to deliver a message to the audience; which can be seen through the explored themes of:

Corruption is seen through see the motifs of book burning -- This is an allusion to censorship campaigns that were initiated by McCarthy and this within itself is an allusion to the Nazi Totalitarian Regime in which the German Student Union burnt books that were subversive or in opposition to Nazism. It is also symbolic of the obliteration of knowledge to idolise conformity and abolish individuality and creativity.

Rise of the Individual
Main protagonist of each novel are initially subjected to societal conformity for the purposes of acceptance. However, both are awakened to the political injustices that plight their worlds.

Also compare the author's intentions in creating these novels (it is imperative to include the author's political intentions):

Miller: employs theatrical aspects to dramatise the McCarthyism similarities to the notorious Salem witch hunt to examine the psychological and social reaction of the individual in response to societal oppression and hysteria. See character - John Proctor and/or Giles Corey

Bradbury: utilises the narrative components of science fiction as a vehicle to project the McCarthy Era’s censorship as a feasible interpretation of a future society. This bleak dystopia explores the “art of the possible” in presenting an oppressive regimentation of intellectual depravity. See character - Guy Montag and/or Professor Faber

It is also important to note that these characters were not simply characters, they are the voice of the author. You can do some research on some of Miller's interviews in which he even says that he has projected his own characteristics upon Proctor.

Hope this helps!

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Animal Farm by George Orwell is what I used. It's a novel but it's extremely short and easy to read. It's an allegory for Stalin and communism and a perfect match for The Crucible as it touches on basically of the points that you listed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)