The Death Penalty 2005 (1 Viewer)

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
the whole chapelle corby case and the bali nine has re sparked my opinions on the death penalty. im against it in every circumstance... and i will not hear arguments saying that it is cheaper than puting people in jail...
whats are your opinions given the current state of affairs? what sort of cirumstances should/shouldnt warrant the death penalty?

and yes I am aware that this has been done before, but i didnt want to revive old threads

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
one of the worst things about the death penalty is if that it becomes found out a week later that the executed was innocent and it's a bit late... :confused:

but seriously, in my opinion, the death penalty is only applicable to people who have taken lives and are capable (and/or willing) to commit more crimes that make them a threat to society.

something like drug smuggling is nowhere near death penalty-worthy.

tempco

HSC
im curious to know what people's reactions to the argument in favour of capital punishment, which goes along the lines of: capital punishment is the most effective deterrent.

Last edited:

tempco

HSC
interesting read.

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGASA030011997?open&of=ENG-316

just a few facts i'd like to highlight regarding indonesia, in case anyone else was curious...

number of prisoners under sentence of death: at least 26, five of whom are political prisoners who have been on death row for over 20 years. the remaining prisoners are mainly convicted of murder or drug trafficking offences.

number of executions carried out: 39 people have been executed since 1978. Of these, 30 were political prisoners.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
AtticusFinch said:
the whole chapelle corby case and the bali nine has re sparked my opinions on the death penalty. im against it in every circumstance... and i will not hear arguments saying that it is cheaper than puting people in jail...
whats are your opinions given the current state of affairs? what sort of cirumstances should/shouldnt warrant the death penalty?

and yes I am aware that this has been done before, but i didnt want to revive old threads
I am against it, even more so after examining it in legal studies

Firstly, the cost of the whole execution is often more expensive than keeping a person in gaol (esp death by thethal injection)

Secondly, the person is often found innocent after the execution has taken place.

Thirdly, to a degree, the death penalty is against international law. However the word "Arbitrarily" (I.e no one shall be arbitrarily deproved of their life *soemthing like that anyway* provides the loop hole.

Forthly - there is not consistancy in the manner in which it is practiced, different countries and states have differing crimes for which the death penatly can be imposed and differing methods of executing people

The deterance argument is flawed, i remember reading there was no real decline in crime rates in the US or Aus that matter *when the death penalty was imposed* AND its a double standard..."Ahh we are punishing you by killing you bcoz you killed someone else"

Last edited:

tempco

HSC
melsc said:
Firstly, the cost of the whole execution is often more expensive than keeping a person in gaol (esp death by thethal injection)
really? i find that hard to believe. what about hanging? (and if you really want to, shooting squad?), and comparing the costs to their specific jail sentences (if capital punishment was not used): eg. 15 years for drug trafficing, life for murder, etc.

melc said:
Secondly, the person is often found innocent after the execution has taken place.
yes, many of the judiciarial systems in countries where capital punishment is in place is pretty corrupt, but "often" is a pretty strong word. did you actually learn that in legal studies?

melc said:
Forthly - there is not consistancy in the manner in which it is practiced, different countries and states have differing crimes for which the death penatly can be imposed and differing methods of executing people
that applies for all types of crimes and their respective methods of punishment across the world...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
nekkid said:
really? i find that hard to believe. what about hanging? (and if you really want to, shooting squad?), and comparing the costs to their specific jail sentences (if capital punishment was not used): eg. 15 years for drug trafficing, life for murder, etc.
It depends on the manner in which they execute people...injection is the most expensive...i dont really know all the costs.

nekkid said:
yes, many of the judiciarial systems in countries where capital punishment is in place is pretty corrupt, but "often" is a pretty strong word. did you actually learn that in legal studies?
Often is probably a bit strong, but I remember someone in my class doing a speech on the deathy pentaly and the proportion in the US I think it was, was quite high

nekkid said:
that applies for all types of crimes and their respective methods of punishment across the world...
I know that, but what I mean is for such a severe form of punishment there should be some guide lines...esp in the places where 16 year olds can be executed

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
The death penalty is rather outdated, however in some instances particularly in the past it was a necessary process. However I also believe that relatives of victims who have endured more 'heinous' crimes, would rather the criminal 'face' the ramifications of his crime as oppose to the easy way out....

No need for torture either.. Gaol provides the greatest punitive circumstance of all, and Im quite sure those who know about the circumstances Jefferey Dahmer's death would agree...

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm for it. I don't think punishments in Australia are harsh enough. And although statistically it is proven not to be a deterrant. It stops the person who is dead from doing it ever again.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
It stops the person who is dead from doing it ever again.
and life without chance of being released doesnt?
incapacitation isnt an argument... obvioulsy any crime that would be severe enough to "warrant" capital punishment could also just as easily be given a life without chance of release punishment.
is a person stuck behind bars who has their intire existence regulated not incapacitated?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
AtticusFinch said:
and life without chance of being released doesnt?
incapacitation isnt an argument... obvioulsy any crime that would be severe enough to "warrant" capital punishment could also just as easily be given a life without chance of release punishment.
is a person stuck behind bars who has their intire existence regulated not incapacitated?
The problem is life without release doesn't really mean without release. People who have been given life are getting let out all the time. Until life without chance of release actually means life without chance of release the death penalty is the only real way of incapaciation.

And anyway, I think people who commit serious crimes deserve to die. I know lots of people don't agree with me but thats just my opinion. I actually think lethal injection is too soft as away of killing people.

I think the death penalty should be introduced for rape, murder and major offense against children. Statistically the dealth penalty doesn't deter other offenders. But I think if everyone who raped, murderd or severely hurt a child was given the death penalty, if it wasn't as inconsistent as it is now in certain states in the US, I think it would become a deterrant.

spell check

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
The problem is life without release doesn't really mean without release. People who have been given life are getting let out all the time. Until life without chance of release actually means life without chance of release the death penalty is the only real way of incapaciation.

And anyway, I think people who commit serious crimes deserve to die. I know lots of people don't agree with me but thats just my opinion. I actually think lethal injection is too soft as away of killing people.

I think the death penalty should be introduced for rape, murder and major offense against children. Statistically the dealth penalty doesn't deter other offenders. But I think if everyone who raped, murderd or severely hurt a child was given the death penalty, if it wasn't as inconsistent as it is now in certain states in the US, I think it would become a deterrant.
"deterrent"

how do you reconcile the idea that murder is so bad that life imprisonment isn't a heavy enough punishment with the fact that capital punishment is just the state murdering people? doesn't it weaken the condemnation of murder in society if the state is regularly murdering people?

monique66

take this for example...
Japan has the lowest levels of crime
US has the highest rates of crime

Both countires offer the death penalty.

I say its more down to the culture of society and the money spent on prevention rather than detection.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
spell check said:
"deterrent"

how do you reconcile the idea that murder is so bad that life imprisonment isn't a heavy enough punishment with the fact that capital punishment is just the state murdering people? doesn't it weaken the condemnation of murder in society if the state is regularly murdering people?
Sorry that I didn't check my spelling. Obviously you knew what I was saying anyway.

There is no way anyone is ever going to convice the people that are fundamentally against killing other human beings that capital punishment is a good thing. So I'm not even going to try.

Just think of it this way. If you had a daughter who was raped and murdered by some serial offender who then got 25 years and was set free, how would you feel? You might say thats no reason for the death penalty, but if it actually happened you might think different.

That's all I have to say about this topic.

spell check

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
There is no way anyone is ever going to convice the people that are fundamentally against killing other human beings that capital punishment is a good thing. So I'm not even going to try.

Just think of it this way. If you had a daughter who was raped and murdered by some serial offender who then got 25 years and was set free, how would you feel? You might say thats no reason for the death penalty, but if it actually happened you might think different.

That's all I have to say about this topic.
but you're totally contradicting yourself, if you're not fundamentally against killing other human beings then you wouldn't be as sensitive to murder and rape because you don't value life as much

and that is exactly why we don't let victims determine punishments, just because some people are bad and commit horrific acts doesn't mean the state and society as a whole has to sink to their level

who are you to say 25 years isn't a suitable punishment? have you ever been in prison for 25 years?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Death also doesnt allow the person to reflect on what they have done, sometimes criminals even want to have the death penalty to escape what they have done, so they dont have to think and suffer about it anymore

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I have read statistics from Amnesty International about the death penalty... it doesn't really deter people from preventing crime and it is also not necessarily cheaper then detaining someone for life... because of the complex legal issues and series of appeals it can often end up costing governments more than it would to imprison someone for life.

I am totally against the death penalty. I also don't really understand how it is that much of a punishment for that individual who is sentenced to death anyway.... they die, instead of lving and dealing with the consequences of their decision. The death penalty is more of a punishment for their families rather than the criminal themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)