The Democrats - thanks for the memories? (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Democrats deny party dying

Dead or dying, prognosis grim for Democrats
By Michelle Grattan
March 21, 2006
Page 1 of 3

THE Australian Democrats face many problems in trying to revive their party — a major one being that people believe it is dead already.

[continued]
Is this the end of what once was Australia's third political party and a voice for moderation in the federal Senate? Is another minor party of moderate standing likely to move into the void, or are we likely to see the Greens increase their standing to a certain extent? Are the minor parties likely to be of any consequence from this point on?

I am primarily concerned with the federal arena, but feel free to talk about the issue at the state level.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
To a large extent they're also being pushed out by the big parties. I believe they only qualified for $10,000 from the AEC last election, set to drop to about 3k for the next.
In contrast the major parties get subsidized approx $20mill each from taxpayers to fund their campaigns.

Also, the dems failed to grab a specific social demographic, unlike most other parties (farmers, blue-collars, rel-nuts, gun-nuts, racist-nuts...) They dont have a base to sex with.

Compounded with their dirty linen, they deserve death (unfortunately)

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
Natasha Stotdespoia (could we change that Natasha sleeptothetopa??) should just marry bob brown and then together they can lead their parties into political hell.. aka centrelink

thats my unqualified 2 cents*

rounded to 5cents for conversion to metric, eftpos accepted bob if you read this, i didn't take your week it was brogan!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What a lot of people dont understand is that minor parties dont plan to run the country. They aim on representing minority views; roughly 10% of the pop. This is healthy.

Raginsheep

HSC
I disagree with elements of their economic policy, international policy and social policy to a greater degree than that of some other parties. Also the behaviour of some of their current "representatives" leaves me feeling uneased about the quality of potential future MPs and/or Senators (I realise that the other parties also have their share of bad apples).

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
And they can promote any batshit crazy policy they want to free from the danger of people taking them seriously.

I pronounce the democrats as dead at the scene.

As far as who get the dem votes from what I've seen they are largely flowing back to the libs (afterall dems began as a lib breakaway).

gerhard

HSC
really? i would have suggested labor/greens. labor because after all, labor have moved further right, pretty much occupying any previous middle ground between the major parties, which was democrat turf, if you will. greens because they are now the 'third' party to vote for if you arent happy with either major party.

Generator

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
They just need a new PR spokesman.

"Everything is under control!"
They're at it again - Democrats facing another political problem.

Though he isn't exactly a well known figure (name one Senator, excluding Barnaby Joyce, who is, though), Senator Murray has long been one of the more reasonable and effective Senators. It's a shame that he will not be standing at the next election.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Their demise is a posative sign for Australian politics.

robo-andie

HSC
I like the Australian Democrats.

Their demise is not a positive sign for Australian Politics IMO.

Justin

HSC
robo-andie said:
I like the Australian Democrats.

Their demise is not a positive sign for Australian Politics IMO.
Why do you like them?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Justin said:
Why do you like them?
How about the fact that they have been a moderating and relatively sensible voice?

You can't be puritan if you're a major party. It can often therefore be beneficial when a relatively rational minor party like the Dems holds the balance of power.

HSC
labor and greens = boring parties.

some reason... i think they're stuck in the past, which was in the early 90's when keating was in power and was making australia spin downhill :rofl:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Dems consider new party

Dems consider new party
Verity Edwards
July 19, 2006

SENIOR South Australian Democrats are considering the creation of a breakaway political party in response to Sandra Kanck's refusal to step down as a state MP.

Sources close to the party have told The Australian that up to six members are considering the logistics of resigning and setting up the new party.

[continued - see link]
The fun never stops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)