The Departed (1 Viewer)

icecreamdisco

HSC
i still love the final shot of the rat crawling across the balcony (a cute touch... in a good way), but i'm beginning to agree with the IA fans who say the original's ending is better.
IA's ending reinforced the buddhist philosophy that "longevity is hardship for he who is in continuous hell", so by having dignam kill off sullivan, there's less resonance; nothing that haunts you when you leave the theater. i guess he should've been kept alive. that said, i think scorsese was going for the darwin-ian approach, and remaking the film as a 'survival of the fittest', so it ends appropriately in that sense.

that aside, i found the scorsese characters and dialogue more engaging than in IA, and i like his style more (IA was a great script told via in a rather generic hk action style) which made it altogether a much more entertaining ride.

bubz :D said:
What happened at the beginning? I was late and got there when Sullivan was being congratulated by Costello in the car.
you mean when costello drives by and applauds him? there's a long extended intro that introduces sullivan as a young altar boy, basically detailing how he was in with costello since childhood.

Last edited:

stargaze

HSC
I had very, very high expectantions because of the hype from reviews, cast, and well, because its a Scorese film.

Personally I found it very entertaining, well worth the admission fee. I'm not sure if Matt Damon was meant to be that underplayed, but I thought he was. I haven't seen too many DiCaprio films, but man, he was intense in this - really good. What surprised (acting wise) was how cool Mark Wahlberg was as an angry cop - pretty funny stuff.

Like some ppl have said, the ending wasn't a real high point, just too much going on I suppose. But yeah, a very satisfying movie.

walrusbear

HSC
i didn't mind the scorsese ending
it seemed suitable to choose a slightly different conclusion to the original

not to mention the whole irish thing. they called it 'the departed' and threw in some Joyce references - it was almost obligatory to finish with death.

it excelled in pretty much every other way too. i thought infernal affairs was pretty overrated anyways. it was rather too lean really, like a threadbare skeleton thriller just managing to keep its convoluted plot together. departed had better performances, characters, direction... how much better is jack nicholson compared to the cheesy guy in IA? i'm pretty much glad IA exists only so that the departed could improve it :p

latvia

HSC
N/A
I wanna watch it.......

matt damon and leonardo dicaprio = good match

they seem so hot together (not in a sexual way)

lengy

HSC
You'd think that, cause that's what I thought, but it couldn't be further from the truth. The characters they played weren't sexy, they were emo.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Finally saw it, was expecting it to be really awesome, but I think it's a little overrated by reviews and imdb at the moment. Wahlberg and Caprio were brilliant I thought; though I was a bit surprised by the Scorsese ending. I'm very interested to see Internal Affairs now. I came out of the cinema wanting more or a different ending though.

Final scene with Wahlberg was brilliant though

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
The end reminded me too much of Reservoir Dogs.
Loved the movie, excellent dialogue and script, as well as awesome performances from most of the key players.
But the soundtrack was awful

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
were the holes for a remake of IA3?

cos that will be a lil depressing

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
the ending i thought was a bit of a let down

how did infernal affairs 3 end?

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
infernal affairs end...umm. i think everyone dies..... it got really confusing and im like :( WHAT THE DIL!.... =/
i havent watched the departed. =(

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'm going to have to side with the IA fans here, possibly because I compared it a bit too much to IA and hence sometimes found it hard to judge it on its own merits.

Individually TD is better in almost every department, but I didn't particularly like the rather unnecessary new ending.. again, possibly because I couldn't stop comparing it to IA. After the funeral it just felt finished to me, and another death (and the infamous 'rat' shot) seemed.. strange as it is to be saying this about a Scorcese film, excessive..

Also the Vera Farmiga subplot, while certainly far better fleshd out than the romantic subplot in IA, really struggled to engage me, another rather big minus, because so much time was devoted to it.

daledugahole

HSC
I liked the film, didn't love it but I could appreaciate the dialogue and some great performances, when Leonardo DiCaprio is good he turns out a great performace. I thought he was really believable in this film.

I thought the ending was quite fitting, it was a bleak film and there was never going to be any resemblance of a happy ending.

I liked the last scene and the rat. I enjoy a bit of poetic justice.

HSC
N/A
I thought it was done really well.

Except I was confused as hell. I had a very slight idea of what was goign on. The fact that I couldn't tell DiCaprio and Damon apart didn't help either. =P

HSC
N/A
I thought it was hilarious. I was scared and laughing at the same time. Loved it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)