• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The differences between a bachelor of commerce and economics (1 Viewer)

9odspeed

The Goat
HSC
hi guys,

basically i have to choose between economics and commerce to combine with my law degree.

apparently the new commerce degree for 2006 has been heavily revised to meet international standards. in commerce you must do 11 core units. i've heard that this limits you to one major and electives due to time constraints.

i've been informed that the bachelor of economics is far more flexible than the new "revised" commerce degree due to commence in 2006. in b. eco you must do 4 core units. given that you must major in economics or econometrics...in the time left you are still able to do a double major supposing you wish to.

in spite of what other threads have claimed...in my knowledge the b.eco and b. commerce are basically the same, bar the fact that u must do 11 core units in commerce, whereas in b. eco you only have to do 4. in the remaining time upon completion of the core units students can choose electives from any one of the following faculties: arts, science, economy and business.

what i would like to know is whether the flexibility and the appeal of the double major in the b. eco, justifies its superiority to the "revised" b.com .

i predict a break in the trend of supply and demand, and the popularity of the commerce degree...from what i've been informed a b.eco student can essentially (with the exception of # ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A
# ECMT1020 Business and Economic Statistics B being core topics in b. eco) be a b.com student...but not vice versa

9odspeed

The Goat
HSC
thanks a bunch brogan...yeh i was pretty confused...needed clarification

i was under the impression that you could only do a major/minor in b. com due to the increase from 6 compulsory core units to 11.

doing the maths for b. com...u must do 11 cpre units which amount to 66cp...and each major requires at least 36 cp each....to qualify for a bachelor of commerce u need 144 cp..

so assuming u do a double major in b.com thats : 66 + 36 + 36 = 138
leaving 6 cp to mess with...thats only like one elective...the advantage here being that you can major in anything offerec.

in b.eco 4 core units amounts to 24 credit points so : 24 + 36 + 36 = 96
that leaves 48 credits points to indulge in irrelevant electives of interests..

still can't choose between the two...thanks again brogan

9odspeed

The Goat
HSC
brogan you are a champ...i was so damn misinformed and lost...

there goes my hopes of flexibility...the combined law program is even more stringent on flexibility and such

thankz again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)