The expectations are far too great (1 Viewer)

bluephoenix36

HSC
This interesting article was taken from: http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/the-expectations-are-far-too-great/2006/04/28/1146198346149.html

The expectations are far too great

By Adele Horin
April 29, 2006

NOT SO long ago it was Bob Carr leading the pack in his denunciation of a "dumbed down" school curriculum and "vegie" courses. Now John Howard has taken up the cudgels, focusing on senior school English. He felt "very, very strongly" about its "dumbing down", he said, declaring the English curriculum had fallen victim to postmodernism and political correctness.
Let me reassure the Prime Minister, who doubtless lacked time to investigate the syllabus with the same rigour a parent of an HSC English student applies to the task, that dumb it ain't. Not in NSW, at least.
There is a problem with HSC English in NSW, I believe. It is too hard. It is too hard for many willing and able students, and too hard for the average teacher. It demands a high level of sophistication, and intellectual agility. It is infinitely more difficult than the English that Howard studied at Canterbury Boys High, and more complex than the English I studied at university.
It is the equivalent of taking the course we oldies remember, with its close reading (over and over) of a Shakespeare play, a novel by Thomas Hardy, and a romantic poet, and doubling or tripling the workload. Students today also closely read traditional texts - but that is just the start. In the more academic English courses they are expected to display more insightful and critical discernment than we did. They must be literate, not only in written texts, but in film as well, and be able to critically assess aspects of popular culture, too.
And not only must they master the formal art of essay writing, but turn their hand to writing speeches, editorials, and newspaper feature articles in a highly sophisticated style. It is too much.
All that talk about "dumbed down" curriculum in the 1990s inspired an overhaul of the English syllabus. There were two perceived problems at the time. Canny students were indeed flocking to the "vegie" English course. Arcane score scaling rewarded them for doing so. That is no longer possible. Brighter students now are rewarded for tackling the harder English units.
Second, boys, in particular, were fleeing higher-level English, and politicians were alarmed. "Disadvantaged boys" was becoming a favourite theme of conservatives, the same people who liked their English "traditional". They demanded the rot be stopped so that boys would be as literate as those clever, sharp-tongued girls pouring into law schools.
More girls than boys were comfortable with the novels, plays and poems on offer, and the way of teaching them that was unchanged in 20 years. Boys were deserting literature for computer games, and websites.
So English was overhauled. Just as economics students now study globalisation - not a hot topic in Howard's schools days; and extension history students now examine historiography - the process of writing history, including changing interpretations of events and sources - so the study of English was modernised. For a start the syllabus acknowledges that texts are shaped by their context and open to a range of interpretations.
But too much is asked of students - not too little. A challenging course that could occupy two years is crammed into 2½ terms (during which time school assessments, accounting for 50 per cent of the HSC mark, must be completed).
Take the study of King Lear, a subject of controversy since it was revealed the Sydney girls school SCEGGS asked students to examine the play through the prism of Marxist critical theory. If that were all!
The syllabus requires students to have a sophisticated understanding of two ways of interpreting the text. It is useful in a student's education to understand how different ideological stances can shape a theatrical production. But it is a big challenge to master the "isms" if teachers go that route.
In addition students must also be able to articulate their own critical response to King Lear from a close reading of the text (which is all we oldies had to master). And they must study the text's provenance - how and why it was changed over hundreds of years. Then it is possible the 45-minute exam could require students to write in the style of a feature article (that no real journalist would ever have to write), or perhaps as a conversation between people holding two different critical perspectives of the play.
Students also can study Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and the movie Blade Runner together but under a highly prescribed theme of In the Wild. The answer to an exam question may have to be in the form of a speech, say, to potential investors in an imaginary Blade Runner 2 (only don't waste time on things real investors want to know, such as return on investment).
Coleridge is studied closely under the prescribed theme of the Imaginary Journey, along with several other texts students can choose (paintings, websites, movies, short stories, etc). And the television series Frontline, along with other texts, is examined for satire and the idea of truth.
In theory it is a stimulating and challenging blend of the traditional, modern and popular that should appeal to boys as well as girls. In theory it encourages critical thinking and wide reading. But in practice, except under the tutelage of the cleverest, most exam-focused teachers, it can turn into a muddle and a struggle. It can destroy the love of English.
There is a problem with English. It is not political correctness. It is not that it is dumbed down. It is too hard.

So English was overhauled. Just as economics students now study globalisation - not a hot topic in Howard's schools days; and extension history students now examine historiography - the process of writing history, including changing interpretations of events and sources - so the study of English was modernised. For a start the syllabus acknowledges that texts are shaped by their context and open to a range of interpretations.
But too much is asked of students - not too little. A challenging course that could occupy two years is crammed into 2½ terms (during which time school assessments, accounting for 50 per cent of the HSC mark, must be completed).
Take the study of King Lear, a subject of controversy since it was revealed the Sydney girls school SCEGGS asked students to examine the play through the prism of Marxist critical theory. If that were all!
The syllabus requires students to have a sophisticated understanding of two ways of interpreting the text. It is useful in a student's education to understand how different ideological stances can shape a theatrical production. But it is a big challenge to master the "isms" if teachers go that route.
In addition students must also be able to articulate their own critical response to King Lear from a close reading of the text (which is all we oldies had to master). And they must study the text's provenance - how and why it was changed over hundreds of years. Then it is possible the 45-minute exam could require students to write in the style of a feature article (that no real journalist would ever have to write), or perhaps as a conversation between people holding two different critical perspectives of the play.
Students also can study Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and the movie Blade Runner together but under a highly prescribed theme of In the Wild. The answer to an exam question may have to be in the form of a speech, say, to potential investors in an imaginary Blade Runner 2 (only don't waste time on things real investors want to know, such as return on investment).
Coleridge is studied closely under the prescribed theme of the Imaginary Journey, along with several other texts students can choose (paintings, websites, movies, short stories, etc). And the television series Frontline, along with other texts, is examined for satire and the idea of truth.
In theory it is a stimulating and challenging blend of the traditional, modern and popular that should appeal to boys as well as girls. In theory it encourages critical thinking and wide reading. But in practice, except under the tutelage of the cleverest, most exam-focused teachers, it can turn into a muddle and a struggle. It can destroy the love of English.
There is a problem with English. It is not political correctness. It is not that it is dumbed down. It is too hard.
[/SIZE]

bluephoenix36

HSC
I can't say I agree more.:burn:

I think we should all go on strike this year.

If the whole state performs badly they will make it easier for us to receive high marks.

They may also think about addressing the problem.

Getting everybody to co-operate would be difficult, though...

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
old news... 3-month-old article...

That said, i couldn't agree more with it. Something must be changed.

It isn't just hard to do; it's hard to teach and also hard to understand in the first place.

I agree that we as students need to be encouraged to stretch a little; if all we did were the easy crap, there wouldn't be any intellectual development on our part. BUT, the current syllabus doesn't work.

Sure, there are people out there that get high marks and good results, but i seriously question the extent of their learning (sorry if i offend any high-rank kids out there); Are they really learning? Is anybody actully learning? Or are we all being training to be human photocopiers, memorising and regurgutating impractical knowledge?

The key word here is encouragement. It would be infinitely more beneficial if we are taught things that are:
a) practical - will continue to hold significance in our future
b) interesting - will capture our attention and give us incentive to learn
c) teachable - that is, the teachers are able to understand the subject matter their teaching, and do not have to become human photocopiers for their students.

It still amazes me how little of our english education is practical... There are still people in my school using bad grammar, and the situation is worse in some other schools. I see the (partial) significance of learning to write in different text types, but what is with the way they're being taught? For example... Why are we being forced to write something that no REAL journalist would write? The same can be said with other text types, to a lesser degreee, i guess...

That's my biggest complaint, that the syllabus is far too impractical. There is too much emphasis on context, readings, yada yada yada... Isn't it enough that we're aware that these exist? DO we REALLY have to go into every little detail? "This technique... bla bla bla..."

And i'll never forget that old fag that said some years ago that english was too easy, because 99% of students passed the test (99% being above 50, i presume). Stupid old Mofo, i wish you a long painful life and a longer painful death...

-P_D

Monstar

HSC
Probz true. I'm not learning jack shit, just writing down what the teacher says and then regurgitating in tests.

Probz fuck up english and fail hsc. Probz kill english .

Danm999

HSC
I don't know about this issue, I agree with parts of it, disagree with others.

On the whole, probably too much is expected of English students these days, not only do they often have to consider a text in it's own right, but how it relates in a complex manner to other texts. For even the best students, this can sometimes be quite difficult.

On the other hand, I'm considering the perspective of the articles author. Ultimately, it is their belief, as they admit. It is based on anecdotal facts and generalisation about the course they betray that they have no real deep insight into. They admit they aren't a teacher and aim their comments seemingly at disenchanted students and acerbic adults who feel it should go back to how English used to be taught. Shooting fish in a barrel in my opinion.

That said, I think what is being served up to most students in NSW is too much. If they want the level that they are currently being given, they should probably do an Extension course. As much as I enjoy English, it is not for everyone. I would loathe being forced to do Maths, which is my great weakness, similar to many who are forced to do English.

HSC
N/A
I agree with the points raised in this article however I feel it should be stated that in my opinion the Board of Studies is not neccessarily demanding the new 'high level' of responses ("isms" et all), rather they are doing nothing to stop it as it becomes the 'norm' of today. And that still doesn't make it right.

It probably started out like this - rather brilliant person A started using a few isms in their HSC responses, it stood out like a freakin' diamond tree in a sea of weeds and suddenly everyone else wanted in as well.

As a uni student myself, I can personally attest that the english courses at university aren't half as crazy as the HSC Eng Adv course. For starters, english course corvenors are aware that there's only so much you can go into depth with within a certain amount of time - so either you limit what's covered (Uni), extend the course and EDUCATE THE TEACHERS so that they can adequately cover all this stuff (ideal but impossible unless the Eng Adv course was stretched out for at least another year), or try to learn a ridiculous amount of high-level concepts in a ridiculously short amount of time (and this is how things currently stand).

I am at a loss to understand why the Board is not doing more to stamp down on this... certainly there are some teachers out there who will say sensible things like "if you can't even pronounce these words in real life, don't use them in your essay" and "these are very impressive multi-syllable words, unfortunately you didn't answer the question at all though" however a significant amount of teachers DO NOT - either because they don't understand it themselves or because they are under so much pressure (or applying so much pressure) for their students to get those extra half-marks that they just don't care.

Jackal

HSC
I couldn't agree more with what you're saying....it's freaking ridiculous to expect students to write 3 coherent, intelligent, liguisitically and structurally advanced essays in 2 hours - memorising quotes, themes, ideas and techniques.

or to expect them to answer 6 comprehension questions, write a good quality, deep, symbolic and advancd style creative writing piece, and ANOTHER essay.

The english course has to change, there is too much information to write and remember in the short period of time given. 45 minutes to write a speech, essay, feature article or conversation is ridiculous. When, EVER, will we have such time restraints put on us? Never.

It is simply too hard a course.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I must be one of those people who thought it prepared you for nothing, as it was too easy, too dumbed down, and frankly useless.

I agree that there is perhaps an excess of what is taught, most of the collateral from a bygone era, but even the focus of those 'dedicated' sections, like post modernism, focus entirely on an incredibly useless, and outdated version of the ism that it proves useless to all but year 12. The problem I think is that we're getting people who have no fucking idea what these things are about trying to teach them to students who are even more lost.

I say this with the utmost respect for teachers, and hoping to become one myself, I think it is not their fault, but it is rather difficult to suddenly implant upon someone the job of teaching something which most teachers never went through learning. How many of them truly understand the idea of convergence or of the socio-cultural dichotomies present within a chronological history of literary udnerstanding?

I think that with planning, and a trimming of the unneeded and useless, there could be a distinct increase in the efficiency of teaching. The article doesn't really hit the spot I feel, justifying it's too hard is a cop out, and one I keep hearing more and more. I mean, in essence, most schools teach you to write and perfect 3 essays per exam for a year. We need to get rid of this dependence on regurgitation and more on actual analytical skills which require a) research b) own work and reading rather than being spoon fed c) of this silver spoon treatment.

fallen__angel

Nocturnal Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm one of the 'dumber' kids that can't finish 3 essays in 2 hours cos my mind operates slower than most others. That means that my exam marks never reflect my full understanding of the texts because I tend to freak out in exam conditions. But in my practise essays I'd always get high range marks, since there is more time for me to plan and perfect my response.
Oh, and I think it might be because of my slower writing as well...one A4 lined page takes me about 15 minutes >.<

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hm, use this for telling the truth ne1? haha

that'll shock the english hsc markers!! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)