• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The floodgates have opened - Aboriginal compensation (1 Viewer)

Justin

HSC
Jimmay (someone's troll account) never did answer my question.

We're so far removed that an apology is inappropriate. Yet an apology would render us liable to paying compensation. That's like saying that if I admitted to a murder which occured 30 years before i was born then i could be convicted in court. It shows denial. Not just denial, but fruitless and misinformed denial.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
You speak as if an apology will make things right. All states already made apologies but it doesnt make any difference at all. besides everything was done for their betterment of abos. They can't complain. I think its time for them to live on their own, without relying on handouts. if they want their traditional way of life, thats fine by me. let them go hunting, as if they really want to do that. The only things in their mind is compensation/money/booze/eat/sleep. Its the same every bleeding day and fuck all to look forward to.

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Obviously our culture mixed with theirs very well.

Jarsh89

HSC
How is PrinceHarry a troll? He is just expressing his point of view on the issue. It seems that anyone on this forum who doesn't kiss the Aborigines feet is immediately a troll. You don't have to agree with his point but surely you can see how he feels ripped off as his taxes payed currently are paying for a mistake made by people 50 or more years ago.
Have you people actually been to Alice Springs, Townsville or Wilcannia? Have you seen the hundreds of unemployed Aboriginies lining up outside the ATMs every Sunday, waiting for their welfare payments, grog in hand? You cannot go around preaching that every Aboriginal is a perfect angel, scarred by the terrible whiteman.
I am not racist, I pity them as a whole however I cannot agree that they should recieve compensation for the 'stolen generation' issue.

K

katie_tully

If English settlers hadn't been so ignorant in the first place there would be no need for compensations to be handed out now, would there?
Let's just all blame the government for this!
Well if you're going to blame English settlers for this, really it should be the British government handing out compensation.

Just because they didn't have computers doesn't mean they were incapable of functioning.
I don't get why you bothered saying that. Nobody else had computers either. I'll tell you what they did have as of the 1700s
- Isaac Briggs and William Longstreet patent the steamboat - note steamboat, not a canoe made from bark.
- 1783 First manned hot air balloon invented in France.
- The first piano was built by Bartolomeo Cristofori
- Europeans discovered rubber
- The Leyden jar invented by Ewald von Kleist was the first electrical capacitor

See where we're going with this? Oldest civilisation in the world hadn't worked out that if it's round it rolls.

The loss of their land and culture is due to European ignorance as I
So therefore it's not Australia's problem. Amirite?

I know a few who are hard working citizens and who are making the best of their new place in the world.
;)

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Jarsh89 said:
Have you people actually been to Alice Springs, Townsville or Wilcannia? Have you seen the hundreds of unemployed Aboriginies lining up outside the ATMs every Sunday, waiting for their welfare payments, grog in hand? You cannot go around preaching that every Aboriginal is a perfect angel, scarred by the terrible whiteman.
Born in Alice Springs, lived in Gove and Darwin, regularly go to the country, I win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)