The Football Thread (3 Viewers)

ATAR_boy

HSC
Re: The Official Football Thread

If you stuck with a policy of "you injure a player, you remain out until he comes back" you'd certainly see players being a lot more careful, though.
I feel that Capello calling up Shawcross after this shocking tackle is just bad timing.
He's an in-form defender and at 22 years of age, maybe Fergie will bring him back to Old Trafford as Ferdinand/Brown arent exactly injury-free defenders.

Man Utd seems to have a young but talented back-four that will play for at-least the next 5-6 seasons....

RB: Rafael-----CB: J.Evans----CB: Shawcross (if brought back)---LB: Fabio (This kid has a lethal free-kick..and Brazil U-19 Captain?)

Last edited:

ATAR_boy

HSC

fuuuuuuuck portsmouth, ruined my multi but great win by them

same goes for city, but it goes without saying that they are great at pulling out shock results like these
Do portsmouth lose the 'automatic' 9-points for going into administration? If they do, Good luck Avram in the Championship. :uhhuh:

LordPc

HSC

If you stuck with a policy of "you injure a player, you remain out until he comes back" you'd certainly see players being a lot more careful, though.
absolutely true. but you would also see a lot more conservative tackles, and a lot less exciting football. you might also see some players favour the skirt ahead of the traditional shorts to reflect this change

such a rule would change the game and the local derby would lose a lot of its appeal if the two sides are more afraid of being suspended then they are of throwing themselves into tackles

I feel that Capello calling up Shawcross after this shocking tackle is very poor.
He should be made to sit out for the rest of the season, as that would go some way towards justice for Aaron Ramsey. :cool:
"an eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind." suspending shawcross for the entire season would be the first step in the wrong direction, see above

LordPc

HSC

johony

HSC

Do portsmouth lose the 'automatic' 9-points for going into administration? If they do, Good luck Avram in the Championship. :uhhuh:
they will pretty soon.

afaik the premier league will meet with the portsmouth administrators on thursday, in which they will work it out and something will be announced after that.

Last edited:

Lord Farquad

HSC

cry cry arsenal fans
that challenge was a borderline red card offence
lmao at outcries from butthurt wenger and co for further suspensions

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A

i agree that there should be different levels of grading for red cards. a player that gets two yellow cards for two boarderline challenges doesnt deserve the same treatment as a player that punches an opponent in the face.

but dont be daft and try to turn the ramsey - shawcross incident something that it is not. football is a contact sport, players take possession of the ball through tackles. usually the tackles are well timed and both parties come out unscathed. sometimes the tackles are mistimed and one player is knocked to the ground and there is a free kick. and sometimes the tackle is mistimed and a player gets injured. sometimes that player is back next week, sometimes they are out for a long time, and sometimes a very, very long time. it happens, this is football, get over it.

now dont get me wrong. im not saying im pleased about it, im not saying i dont feel for ramsey and im not saying that ramsey should suck it up and move on because as you said, this will impact on his development. but it was a 50-50 ball, both players went in hard, ramsey came out 2nd best. trying to put blame on shawcross for intentionally injuring ramsey would just be silly
at no point was it 50-50, his touch was shit and he was never going to get to the ball. only a player from stoke or bolton would do what he did.

ofcourse it wasn't intentional - he walked off the pitch in tears - but it was reckless and in my eyes he should still be held accountable.

ATAR_boy

HSC

at no point was it 50-50, his touch was shit and he was never going to get to the ball. only a player from stoke or bolton would do what he did...

ofcourse it wasn't intentional - he walked off the pitch in tears - but it was reckless and in my eyes he should still be held accountable.
yeh, but you forgot to mention that Birmingham player, the one that broke Eduardo's leg last season? :rolleyes:

ATAR_boy

HSC

they won anyways? so did liverpool :D
Its a battle between Liverpool and the blue-side of Manchester for the final UCL Spot. This is because although Spurs are winning, injuries are going to hurt them badly. As for Villa, Milner is a real talent, but they will have to wait until next season or season after to break into top 4. :uhhuh:

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A

they've been waiting sometime, and with their current squad they'll wait longer.

teams like man city, fulham and tottenham have recently built considerably on their squads and being a world cup year, expect that to continue

also, it's interesting to note after 28 games chelsea are 1 point ahead of united and 3 ahead of arsenal.
of teams in the top 7, chelsea have still to play liverpool, united, tottenham, aston villa; man united have to play man city, liverpool, chelsea, tottenham. whereas arsenal have only got man city and the north londong derby.

long story short: this season'll will go all the way to may.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC

they've been waiting sometime, and with their current squad they'll wait longer.

teams like man city, fulham and tottenham have recently built considerably on their squads and being a world cup year, expect that to continue

also, it's interesting to note after 28 games chelsea are 1 point ahead of united and 3 ahead of arsenal.
of teams in the top 7, chelsea have still to play liverpool, united, tottenham, aston villa; man united have to play man city, liverpool, chelsea, tottenham. whereas arsenal have only got man city and the north londong derby.

exactly.

kyokaku92

HSC

Indeed- I like the premiership to go down to the last round. I'm confident Chelsea can beat Liverpool and Spurs but against ManUnited, I can only see a draw at Trafford and we have a poor record against Villa recently losing our last game against them, whereas unless Rooney gets injured or Ferguson makes some tactical errors (not likely cause of World Cup year), I really can't see them losing other than either city or Chelsea. I've already ruled Arsenal out of top spot because they have a habit of dropping points near the end of the season (whenever Van Persie is injured- they drop games). :rolleyes:

My tip is that Aston Villa will get the final CL spot, City maybe next season.... and Chelsea to just narrowly beat united on goal difference

ATAR_boy

HSC

Whoever wins the EPL, it will be a victory by 1 point or goal difference.
My predictions: Chelsea to beat Liverpool, Draw/win at Old Trafford, Win at Tottenham, Draw/win at Villa..(All these results are based on Essien's recovery)

Man Utd to lose from a Tevez' brace :cool:; They lost to Liverpool once, and if Torres + Gerrard show their quality, they'll win again. Maybe Spurs can pull off an upset? As Roman is in good-form.

As for Arsenal, there squad is too young to win any trophies. They will easily take 3rd place this season. Liverpool - Your team is good but you MUST invest into a solid CF as a back-up for 'El Nino' & your #1 CB is out for the rest of the season, thats going to hurt your chances of pipping Man City to 4th spot. :uhhuh:

ATAR_boy

HSC

Indeed- I like the premiership to go down to the last round. I'm confident Chelsea can beat Liverpool and Spurs but against ManUnited, I can only see a draw at Trafford and we have a poor record against Villa recently losing our last game against them, whereas unless Rooney gets injured or Ferguson makes some tactical errors (not likely cause of World Cup year), I really can't see them losing other than either city or Chelsea. I've already ruled Arsenal out of top spot because they have a habit of dropping points near the end of the season (whenever Van Persie is injured- they drop games). :rolleyes:

My tip is that Aston Villa will get the final CL spot, City maybe next season.... and Chelsea to just narrowly beat united on goal difference

Records count for nothing. If John Terry can play without so much media, and If Cech and Essien are back, Chelsea will beat Villa. Although Villa may have a very solid defence, I would like to see a 38-year-old Brad Freidel stop an Anelka/Lampard/Drogba long-shot. :rolleyes:

Yam yam

HSC
Re: The Official A-League Thread.

It's been two weeks without having to watch the godawful standard of the A league. Pretty confident that the nix will turn us over tomorrow, we've been dire and they have been, by A league standards, very good.

kyokaku92

HSC

Lol at Bendtner, missing so many shots at goal...

Looking forward to the 2nd legs of the CL :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)