The French Revolution? (1 Viewer)

migimore

HSC
Hi everyone,

How would I go about tackling the French Revolution for my project? I have an idea of maybe discussing the differing historical interpretations regarding the causes of the revolution but I don't know. Do you think this is a decent idea/topic? Your comments/thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
I won't comment on how good or bad it is because that's up to you and what you believe you can do with the topic.

But just a few notes, you can check out the Source Book of Readings and search through (ctrl+f) "French Revolution" and you'll get some good sources. Or head over to JSTOR and see their resources (e.g.).

You need to think "what differing historical interpretations"? Isn't it all just "fact" and there aren't any interpretations? Gather historians who have opposing views and see how they perceive the origins of the French Revolution.

migimore

HSC
Thank you! Yeah I really have to start finding historians. I've gone through two topics already and they haven't worked out so I'm sticking to this one. With the historical interpretations, I was thinking of using different schools of historical thought on the revolution...if that works. But I'll definitely check out the Source Book and the article you linked me to. Thanks again :)

Last edited:

evanstroeve

Premium Member
HSC
Congratulations on a wonderful choice of topic, it will be both intriguing and rewarding for you I think. However, your chosen focus question (The causes of revolution), may be too broad. There were a myriad of causes, both immediate and long-term, of the revolution. It would be difficult to compress this into the measly word limit BOS has provided for you. Perhaps focusing on a comparison between major causes (Enlightenment ideas VS Economic factors) or even focusing on a major player (Robespierre is quite controversial, and a milliiiiiiiiionnnn people have written about him) would be better idea. On the upside, finding historical interpretations on anything to do with the revolution would be a cinch. I hope this has helped, and good luck! Enjoy yourself. :)

migimore

HSC
Hey evanstroeve, thank you so much for the advice! I might look into Robespierre as well. There's just a lot to read about the revolution, I still need to get my head around it and understand everything. :)

Tegan117

HSC
I'm doing the causes of the French Revolution for mine too! I'm finding it a little tedious though...the main difference between two different interpretations is the exact difference between the earnings of the Nobility and the Bourgeois.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)