the great debate (1 Viewer)

how u doin?

HSC
which is the best footy code in Australia?

personally i dont think it can even be argued that nrl or rugby union compare in popularity or quality to afl...

Rahul

Dead Member
me personally...

union>afl>>>nrl

union and afl draw much bigger crowds. both codes are quite enjoybale to watch. nrl doesnt compare with them, i wold put soccer ahead of it

Generator

HSC
N/A
Code? Soccer is the only form of Football in this country... The others are entirely different sports (except for league and union).

AFL isn't a quality sport, well, no more than the others. It's just that it requires greater athletic endurance while the other two require greater strength. Some people prefer people running in circles to running at a line or running back for a bloody kick... How did that prove my point on quality?

All three have their plus points, I guess.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
meh i like them all union/league/soccer except for afl. all three have their plus points as gen pointed out. Union is more intense if the scores are locked with minutes to go, anything can happen.

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A
union then league then soccer.. then a long way back AFL...
i think league and soccer come a draw.. cos i like em both a lot.. but i love rugby

is a roflcopter
HSC
soccer > union > league > afl

how u doin?

HSC
in terms of popularity though, it has to be afl. A couple of weeks ago, 1 afl game in SYDNEY, almost got a bigger crowed then an entire round of nrl in sydney.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Yes, ONE AFL GAME IN SYDNEY. If there is only one team, then why shouldn't there be a larger crowd?

AFL may be more popular Australia wide, but in terms of Sydney...

how u doin?

HSC
well there are many afl games in melbourne each weekend, consisting of many different teams from melbourne, yet they consistenlty get far bigger crowds then nrl games in sydney.

also, the fact that Telstra Stadium said they would have given preference to a swans game next week, rather then the bulldogs says somthing.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Yes. One team is more likely to generate higher returns for the stadium, which is very obvious when you have a single AFL team for the city competing with one a number of league teams.
I'm not disputing the crowd figures, but they alone don't determine how popular a sport is. League is much more of a televised sport than AFL, yet people still seem to base their popularity arguments primarily on the crowd figures (AFL is still the most popular of the mainstream media football 'codes', but not to the extent that some believe).

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Union, Soccer than League... AFL isn't a sport, it's just something to support a Sydney Team for because they play interstate teams.

Union only beats soccer because a quality soccer competition in australia is not easily found, but if they pick their game up administration wise, maybe soccer can flourish in the country like it's juniors do.

s2ophie

HSC
Well i come from and AFL area and personally i can't stand it anymore. It is not a great sport, soccer takes a lost more talent and the other codes i just don't understand how theya re interesting. So personally, soccer.

SydneySwan

woohoo!
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Generator
I'm not disputing the crowd figures, but they alone don't determine how popular a sport is. League is much more of a televised sport than AFL, yet people still seem to base their popularity arguments primarily on the crowd figures (AFL is still the most popular of the mainstream media football 'codes', but not to the extent that some believe).
Ok..."League is much more of a televised sport than AFL". I'll quote you on that mate.

I agree firstly that yes, AFL has larger crowds than NRL crowds. I also agree with 'how u doin?' - that Victoria has many AFL teams too, like the number of NRL clubs based in Sydney/NSW, yet all the AFL teams in Victoria gain crowd figures as big as those of a NRL final. I also agree with 'Generator' however, that we shouldn't base our argument on crowd figures.

So let's say media coverage...right? If AFL wasn't a popular sport, why would both Channel 9 and Channel 10 fight for the broadcasting rights of AFL coverage from Channel 7 a year or so ago (apologies for my memory)? If AFL was not a popular sport, why didn't they just let Channel 7 resign the deal for broadcasting rights? It's not like Channel 9 and Channel 10 have nothing to broadcast on the weekend - mainly NRL and V8s respectively. Because of this fight for coverage, wouldn't it suggest also the number of viewers who are "at home watching the game"?

About league being more televised...League = Channel 9; AFL = Channel 9 AND Channel 10.

At least this is my opinion anyway. :D

Cheerio

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Well the only way you can goto a swans game is if its a home game, we cant really watch say an essendon vs brisbane match here...so i guess more broadcasting coverage is needed to cater for the afl fans? thats just one way of looking at it... whereas with league there are a number of sydney teams with accessable stadiums to go watch them at...therefore it would not be financially feasable to broadcast more games accross different networks because it isnt really needed.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by MysticEye
go NRL!!!!!!! and GO THE DRAGONS.... stupid ariel ping pong... PFT!
Yarran, you suck. Dragons couldn't even make the top 8...pffft :D

Generator

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by SydneySwan

So let's say media coverage...right? If AFL wasn't a popular sport, why would both Channel 9 and Channel 10 fight for the broadcasting rights of AFL coverage from Channel 7 a year or so ago (apologies for my memory)? If AFL was not a popular sport, why didn't they just let Channel 7 resign the deal for broadcasting rights? It's not like Channel 9 and Channel 10 have nothing to broadcast on the weekend - mainly NRL and V8s respectively. Because of this fight for coverage, wouldn't it suggest also the number of viewers who are "at home watching the game"?

About league being more televised...League = Channel 9; AFL = Channel 9 AND Channel 10.

Cheerio

I was talking about Sydney figures and audiences, not national, as unlike AFL, the NRL is primarily based in Sydney. Remember, 9 and 10 service Melbourne and Adelaide, too.

how u doin?

HSC
Originally posted by MysticEye
go NRL!!!!!!! and GO THE DRAGONS.... stupid ariel ping pong... PFT!
Afl, isnt arial ping pong. In afl, players kick to other players, which takes alot of precision and skill. unlike union, which is just aimless, skill-less forcings back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)