The Great Gatsby (1 Viewer)

gnome66

HSC
to tyrthundr- I have no idea how you can describe the great gatsby as boring.

Boring I'd give to some past texts- deadly unna, JACK DAVIS' A BOYS LIFE (This is oficially the worst book I've ever read)

I love studying and writing about gatsby!

coco_cook

HSC
gnome 66... aka alana w.
i knew it was you from your name! it's ella! and i agree... TGG is a great novel, you just have to look at Fitzgeralds perspectives on woman as fairly stagnant compared to the changing times. as Fitzgerald said himself.
"women, and even intelligent woman haven't much cared fot "The Great Gatsby'. they do notlike the women to be presented as emotionally passive, as a matter of fact i hink most women are."

Deadly unna was Dead boring i agree!!!!

orangejuice92

HSC
All I've worked out so far is some of the links between the texts;
1/ The differences in morals and values. i.e. EBB was from a time when women were frowned upon, yet she stands out in her sonnets by presenting herself as an equal to her lover (husband), and TGG has Daisy saying things like 'the best a woman can be in this world is a beautiful little fool'
2/ The differences in the meaning of love. i.e. EBB describes a sense of 'real' love throughout poems, one that can last 'forever', whereas TGG describes a sense of 'artificial' love - the women aren't that affectionate towards the men and they're in love with their money more so than eachother

I'm still working on the rest, and I don't know if this has been said already, to be honest I wasn't exactly bothered to read the whole thread...

Cya xx

orangejuice92

HSC
Why is everyone doing the Aurora Leigh Poems with Great Gatsby? We're doing Sonnets From The Portuguese, is there much difference?
Has anyone had to do the task question "The more things change the more they stay the same" in realtion to these two texts?
Nup, but what was the question??
I have to hand in another extended response on Monday and I'm sick of having to find new questions, haha
xoxo

morga-n

HSC
hi may i please have your essay,
i also love the great gatsby.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Im doing BR but the great gatsby sounds so interesting i wish i could do it.

Barney Rodgers

HSC
N/A
'The Great Gatsby' is a book that is often on the curriculum of high schools and colleges. The book is not only a novel but also a history lesson. In many ways it is a time capsule that captures a particular time in American history. Fitzgerald gives us a glimpse of the life of the elite during the Jazz Era, with all their lies, deceit and artificiality. It holds up a mirror to the social decadence that was so common during those times. Surely, it is a time of change. The American Dream which was believed to be the ability to make something of oneself though hard work proves to be false and disappointing in this novel. Gatsby makes money through dubious means and hence, is never really accepted by the high society which he so claims to be a part of. I never realized the depth of this classic until I browsed through Shmoop and got some very helpful guidelines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)