The Greatest Book Ever Written (1 Viewer)

What kind of book do you read?

• Total voters

walrusbear

HSC
spiny norman said:
The original 12 Angry Men, Psycho and The Manchurian Candidate are all perfectly made movies. Didn't stop them doing a lesser remake.
yeah when has a good original stopped a money fed remake in its tracks?

possibly the worst: Get Carter

Pierotte

HSC
is everyone posting rather famous books as their favourites just so people can comment and relate or are they seriously your favourites?? Personally i cant stand classic books... too much hype, i can appreciate them but the whole time im reading i sit there wondering "why the hell is this book so great?"

by the way person above , i love your avatar, spirited away, ahhh love that movie.

imhere4themusic

flied lice
HSC
The Valis Trilogy by Philip K. Dick. I know it's a collection but they're short and function with the same meaning and ideas in different ways.

jennylim

HSC
atm i'm loving thackeray's vanity fair and douglas adams's hitchhiker's guide...brilliant books! and relatively similar too, with the tongue-in-cheek dry humour and all. both have me literally gasping for breath, i laugh that hard.

oh...and of course...how can i forget harry potter! but that's more just "light reading", albeit very good stuff.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Pierotte said:
is everyone posting rather famous books as their favourites just so people can comment and relate or are they seriously your favourites?? Personally i cant stand classic books... too much hype, i can appreciate them but the whole time im reading i sit there wondering "why the hell is this book so great?"

by the way person above , i love your avatar, spirited away, ahhh love that movie.
I don't think you can apply the word hype to a book that's remained consistently popular for a long period of time. In fact, the opposite is true. It's stuff like Harry Potter or The Davinci Code which are selling like hotcakes now that are overhyped. Not that I mind Harry Potter :p

X

xeuyrawp

withoutaface said:
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. 'nuff said.
Well said! I also love Thus Spake Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil, and The Gay Science, by Nietzsche.

Also, whoever has the Spirited Away avatar rocks my socks.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Well said! I also love Thus Spake Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil, and The Gay Science, by Nietzsche.

Also, whoever has the Spirited Away avatar rocks my socks.
I just started giving Beyond Good and Evil a read, it's pretty cool. Thus spake Zarathustra is also very good.

You should give Geanology of Morals a read if you enojyed that stuff. It's not very long but it's interesting.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I like "The picture of dorian gray" by wilde.

on a completely different note, how come silvermoon voted twice?! lol

X

xeuyrawp

KFunk said:
I just started giving Beyond Good and Evil a read, it's pretty cool. Thus spake Zarathustra is also very good.

You should give Geanology of Morals a read if you enojyed that stuff. It's not very long but it's interesting.
I read a bit of Genealogy for an assignment I had. I'm looking forward to hitting me "Philosophy to read" list when I have time- probably mid-year, or end of the year... Thanks for the heads up, though, I may have forgotten about it:)

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
The greatest book of all time...

My all time favourite would have to be 'Charlottes Web', very closely followed by 'the nightingale and the rose', by Oscar Wilde, i cried at the end of both of those...very sad i know!!!

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
OMG an Asian girl that's had a crush on Holden Caulfield since she was 10. I think I'm in love. :eek:

Seriously though, it's so hard to find Asians interested in literature around where I live, so it's always nice when I do run into them. :)

still waiting

HSC
Theres a book called life is so good its one of the books thats had the biggest impact on me its about a like 98 yr old african american man who and his life story it was amazing he went to school and learnt how to read and write when he was in like his 70s/80s it was amazing i really suggest u read it

Assasinator_2

HSC
Argonaut said:
The Wheel of Time is a thousand times better than LotR. It might just be the best damn series ever written.
Urgh. The Books that Never End.

Matthew Reily is up there for me. I love his writing style. It wouldn't be the best, though, and I'm not sure I could call 'the best'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)