The Guide To Applying For A Selective School (1 Viewer)

llamasama

HSC
Hi I'm in year 9 and I'm going to apply for Ryde Secondary.Do you have any tips and is it okay of I don't give my yr 9 half yearly because I haven't received it yet.Also would it be relevant to include my merits from yr 7 like the bronze,silver and gold award.Thank you your post helped a lot as well ^-^

llamasama

HSC
To get involved in the community what kind of things should I do?Would church related activities count?

hunterbear

HSC
N/A
For applications you need proof of extra-curricular activities? How do we actually prove this?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
For applications you need proof of extra-curricular activities? How do we actually prove this?
It might depend on the school.

For some schools, they will probably believe whatever you write on the special application forms (not the generic ones that you have to fill in for every school) while others might require photocopies of awards, certificates, etc.

hunterbear

HSC
N/A
It might depend on the school.

For some schools, they will probably believe whatever you write on the special application forms (not the generic ones that you have to fill in for every school) while others might require photocopies of awards, certificates, etc.
How would you suggest doing it for the normal apication for activities such as orchestra and debating that don't have certificates?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
How would you suggest doing it for the normal apication for activities such as orchestra and debating that don't have certificates?
The normal applications don't ask you to write that kind of stuff down.

It's only the school specific applications that will ask you to list your extracurricular activities.

hunterbear

HSC
N/A
The normal applications don't ask you to write that kind of stuff down.

It's only the school specific applications that will ask you to list your extracurricular activities.
Oh sorry. I thought you meant something else. How would I do it for schools that just want copies or proof of you doing those extra curricular activities without having to write anything down on their special additional application?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh sorry. I thought you meant something else. How would I do it for schools that just want copies or proof of you doing those extra curricular activities without having to write anything down on their special additional application?
For things like debating, you'll have to write it down somehow (from my knowledge) since you can't show actual proof.

hunterbear

HSC
N/A
For things like debating, you'll have to write it down somehow (from my knowledge) since you can't show actual proof.
Would you suggest that I maybe.. Write it down and get the coordinator to sign it or something like that

yolocuzzy

HSC
N/A
if your coordinator enlists you or something like that, you get an official certificate.

yolocuzzy

HSC
N/A
Dude try out for hurlstone. Just in ur next report don't get a D only B's and A's are acceptable. ANyways Hurlstone is mainly test so do well on their test they don't are at all about report as long as its okay. PLZ try out for Sydney Boys. You have a good chance judging from what you do.
DAMMNNNNN IT!! Apparently Sydney Boys isn't accepting applications for yr 10 2015

hsay25

HSC
For the hurlstone entrance exam do u think there is an chance that there will be a narrative topic instead of an essay topic.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
For the hurlstone entrance exam do u think there is an chance that there will be a narrative topic instead of an essay topic.
Most likely not since they'll usually include an agriculture-based extract for short answers/MC comprehension... and you'll most likely also need to refer to the extract for the extended response (essay as well) :haha:

However, be prepared for both.

Kazooker

HSC
N/A
Thanks Rivalry for this thread, got my STHS acceptance letter today.
Bro since I go to tech, I no that people at tech hv great personalities, ull make great friends there. But since I'm going boys next yr, I'm gonna miss tech. Great atmosphere here, great teachers, you'll pretty much enjoy the rest of ur hs life:)

Papercutter

HSC
I just came back from the interview part so I thought I might also add more stuff to this thread for others who also want to apply to a selective school.
RivalryofTroll covered pretty much the scope of the application process, but I'll try add some more to it, only more about hurlstone

The Hurlstone entrance exam is essentially the first step, and what comes after is the interview! The interview will most likely be with the Principal or the Deputy Principal and they take about 10-20 minutes, usually 15minutes on average. The very first thing you'll be asked is why you want to come to Hurlstone. Then they'll follow with other questions like:
-What do you do in your spare time?
-What extracurricular activities or leadership roles have you been a part of?
-What is your most/least favourite subject and why?
-What are your future plans?
-How do you study (personally, not as a general question)?
-Do you know anyone in this school or does/has a sibling went to Hurlstone (they'll ask you for the year they graduated)?

They not only ask you questions, but they will explain a lot of what goes on at their school. So for example, they will tell you the courses they offer, what extracurricular activities they have and also about the farm! Lastly they'll ask you if you have any questions concerning the school, this is a really good chance to show them that you are curious, so ask at least something, even if it's simple.

Tips for the interview:
-Arrive early, maybe 10 minutes before the scheduled time
-Go to the toilet beforehand, the last thing you want is to need to go when they are talking to you
-Eat something and drink some water before you leave home
-Bring along a folder with your awards/reports etc if you want (not really necessary)
-SMILE! Be happy and show they how much you look forward to going
-Try not to look at your watch (you'll appear as though you have a better place to go to and this will leave a bad impression)
-Dress neatly, plenty of people arrive also in their school uniform
-Be honest, they can definitely tell if you are lying
-Make eye contact and try not to fidget too much (I made a mistake of doing this)
-If they ask you about your current school, dont bad mouth it, chances are, they might wonder if you'll talk badly of the school next.

It's alright to be nervous (I was freaked out just earlier today!). Also Ag is compulsory from Year 7-10 but they won't force you to do it in senior years, they do strongly recommend and encourage you to try it though! If you are doing accelerated maths at your current school, or you are wanting to do accelerated at Hurlstone, you'll have to talk to the Head Teacher for maths and he or she will discuss whether you should do it or not.

It's all I can think of right now, a lot of the stuff is probably already said in the original post but I might have been a little too detailed!
Good luck to all that have applied this year and to those wanting to apply in the future!

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
at least you guys didn't do what I did

1. Fort St
2. Sydney Tech
3. Sydney Boys
4. North Sydney

because I was never going to get into #3 or #4 and was reserve no. 40 for #1 ending up going to #2.
that was the selective test.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)