The Haber Process Question (1 Viewer)

kouklitsa

seadonkey said:
ur all wrong.... wen volume decreases conc of ALL reactants increase as
conc proportional to moles/volume

the 3 conc then curve
NH3 curve concave down
H2 and H2 concave up
OMG A SMART PERSON... totally agree :) by decreasing volume the IMMEDIATE effect is that the concentration would be increas because c=n/v so if u decrease V then C goes up .. then Le chat's principle works!!!

seadonkey

HSC
fadykozman said:
Dear SeaDonkey

The equilib constant doesn't change with change in volume or concentration, it only varies with the temperature, thus the basis of your argument are gone!

I can understand your point that concentration of all products and reactants increase.

umm i sed K doesnt change?

fadykozman

what you said is "How can you keep K constant when equilibrium shift?" even if the equilibrium shifts, the K doesn't change... read your post again

seadonkey

HSC
fadykozman said:
what you said is "How can you keep K constant when equilibrium shift?" even if the equilibrium shifts, the K doesn't change... read your post again
read the whole sentence at once... then ull understand wat i mean

alia

haber process

i spoke to my chemistry teacher and she said that the concentration of everything had to go up a little bit in a straight line to indicate that the volume of the vessel had changed. (less volume --> higher concentration) Then you have to show what happens with increased pressre. (increased production of ammonia, and decrease in N2 and H2 to make ammonia)

Captain Karl

HSC
And thats the end of that chapter....

Did she say anything about molar ratios?

alia

haber process

no I forgot to ask about thatbut i hope we dont have to show that the reaction reaches equilibrium again, but knowing how the HSC markers mark chem i bet it will be needed. They are so picky

justchillin

HSC
Yeah looks ok to me...but remember u had 2 define Le Chatiler's principal before applying it in ur explanation...:D

Captain Karl

HSC
I wrote that the equilibrium is re-established (after explaining Le Chatiler's principle) but I forgot to draw in the graph that its re-established. I think it depends on the marker and the marking quidelines as to whether they'll that kinda stuff slide

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
OH, holy crap he's right, all concentrations should have shot up by a little at first, then gone up/down according to LCP, then eqm established.

SHIT!

but, as captain karl said, it was worth 2 marks.. i guess it all depends on the marking guidelines :(

alia

haber proccess

It was 2 marks for the graph and 2 marks for the explanation, so maybe if u show that it goes up and ammonia increases and the N2 and H2 decrease then maybe u might get 2 marks, but then again maybe u would need to est equilibrium as well ... and explain it

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
It's probably taken for granted that the system reaches equilibrium again, so I don't think that'll be part of the criteria for the graph (possibly for the explanation though). It'll probably be 1 mark for the right concavity/direction, and 1 mark for showing an initial increase in the concentration of all reactants and products. I doubt whether indicating the correct molar ratio will be part of the criteria because:
a) it was a sketch
b) it wasn't indicated on the diagram on the exam paper in the first place

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
did many of you guys put the initial increase/decrease in products and reactants?

kouklitsa

queenie said:
did many of you guys put the initial increase/decrease in products and reactants?
i did, and it only sounds like a few other people.. sounds like the majority of the people ive talked to from my school and everything just did a straight out Le Chat. type of thing rather than an initial increase in volume of all reactants.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
queenie said:
I did mine like Captain Gh3y - no initial increase. We'll probably only lose 1 mark at most, but who knows...the markers might be lenient :p

Abtari

HSC
i doubt they will be pedantic..

*sigh* the hsc exams this year were riddled with little tricks - chem, physics, bio... definitely tougher than last year, in my opinion.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Abtari said:
i doubt they will be pedantic..

*sigh* the hsc exams this year were riddled with little tricks - chem, physics, bio... definitely tougher than last year, in my opinion.
I didn't do Physics and Bio, but I do agree that our Chem exam was harder than last year's. Generally science teachers are pedantic and that's what makes it so difficult to get high marks in Chem/Phys/Bio :(.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)