the hsc cannot tell you how smart you are. discuss (2 Viewers)

Raginsheep

HSC
HSC=memorisation of ideas that teachers like and ability to regurgitate them during an exam.
Uni=actually need to think (apparently)

wanton-wonton

HSC
Mongke said:
i like to think im intelligent but i only got 79 uai. does this mean i wont make it in uni? tell me.
People who think they're intelligent are never intelligent. (Usually). The opposite also applies.

Anyway, take this for example. A person with a UAI of less than 30 or a person of UAI of 100.

WELL I WONDER WHO IS MORE INTELLIGENT?!?!?!

So yes, to an extent, the HSC does tell how smart one is.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Raginsheep said:
HSC=memorisation of ideas that teachers like and ability to regurgitate them during an exam.
Uni=actually need to think (apparently)
Yeah and

Life = don't need to do shit.

Eh.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Who says that hsc tells you how smart you really are?

Mongke

HSC
u are obviously reffering to socrates wen he said that i am more wize than this man becouse i know my weaknesses. wat do the ppl that know their weakness think about the uai?

wanton-wonton

HSC
Mongke said:
u are obviously reffering to socrates wen he said that i am more wize than this man becouse i know my weaknesses. wat do the ppl that know their weakness think about the uai?
What?

Mongke

HSC
wen u are wize you know ur faults , it doesnt mean u know everything. so i want to know by ppl who know thier strengths wether the hsc has represented them in any way.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
It might not be able to tell you how smart you are. But it sure does show (for majority of people who do badly) how lazy and/or stupid they are. Yes, you may not necessarily need to be very intelligence to obtain a high UAI, but you sure do need to be fairly stupid to obtain a low UAI if you have lived in Australia all of your life and have had adequate opportunities to study.

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
I don't think its fair in the way people are smart in different areas and although the scaling does help the people who choose those subjects for that reason not everyone does that.
Someone who enjoys and does well in chemistry compared to someone who is the same for lets say visual arts doesn't neccesarily mean when the person doing visual arts gets scaled lower that they are any less smarter.
They might be considered harder subjects for some people but not everyone, everyone knows you are more likely to do well in a subject you enjoy and people enjoy different things. Although in saying this i still think it works, there isn't a way i could think of replacing it, every way will have its ups and downs.

*Minka*

HSC
One very impoortant think to remember is that a low UAI does not mean people are stupid. I have a very good friend who got a 66.55, but she has learning disabilites which made it very difficult for her, but she is one of the brightest and most articulate people I know.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
Leave Mongke be or I will attack you and haunt you for the rest of your lives, mortal and spiritual.

The HSC is a measure of how much you are willing to obey the commands of the BOS. It could be considered a measure of your intelligence, but why not just screw doing a whole year of the HSC and take an IQ test instead?

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
the hsc is a test of diligence, and afterwards, how fast you can forget what you learnt in high school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)