the hsc cannot tell you how smart you are. discuss (1 Viewer)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Meh. I think he's just a troll. I don't think anyone can really be that retarded and still get into med school.

princessj

PRINCESS JACKLIN!!!
HSC
i think hsc shows ur ability to be commited to a task and how far u can get when u work hard.. yes it is a tedious ride but it shows how far u can hold onto ur ambitions
yes some may say that its just memorising all alot of other shit but that too is hard work and not everyone has that gift... and in my opinion suone will only say 'oh it doesnt matter its only hsc and who cares' is sumone without the required onfidence and feels that they cant do it or dont want to go through the tedious procces hence makes sill excuses as such for themselves

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
"I posted it twice because my internet server is being problematic."
it's prob not accepting ur dumb posts

UAI because because you had your face glued to your books for an entire year. That's not necessarily indicative of intelligence, it's just hard work.
sorryu but i actually didnt work relli hard but not too hard...besidees u cant do 4u maths by memorising...u need intelllect..

"If you're so darn smart, why can't you even articulate yourself properly?" Well if u read the earlier posts u obvciously reailise otherwise...i just had to descend into this type iof language so thart ppl liike nothat bright, dreamish, U can understand me/....ogababaga

"typical socially retarded nerd. " seriously dont be so sterotypical...

"Meh. You can call me dumb all you like. I know I'm not, so I don't feel the need to get defensive" well ujust did moron:wave:

wanton-wonton

HSC
funnybunny said:
"I posted it twice because my internet server is being problematic."
it's prob not accepting ur dumb posts

UAI because because you had your face glued to your books for an entire year. That's not necessarily indicative of intelligence, it's just hard work.
sorryu but i actually didnt work relli hard but not too hard...besidees u cant do 4u maths by memorising...u need intelllect..

"If you're so darn smart, why can't you even articulate yourself properly?" Well if u read the earlier posts u obvciously reailise otherwise...i just had to descend into this type iof language so thart ppl liike nothat bright, dreamish, U can understand me/....ogababaga

"typical socially retarded nerd. " seriously dont be so sterotypical...

"Meh. You can call me dumb all you like. I know I'm not, so I don't feel the need to get defensive" well ujust did moron:wave:
Oh my god. You are still all so retarded.

As I said before, no matter how fucking hard or long you study or how fucking effective your study methods are, you can't get a UAI of 100 unless you're smart/intelligent/clever/whatever.

Some people can study for just as long and just as hard with a UAI of less than 90. That proves a fucking point, doesn't it?

Just in case you didn't get it, the point is this: The UAI is NOT ONLY an indication of how hard you exercised your mind but also a slight indication of how clever you are.

By the way, all you jackasses who says that a high UAI only means that you studied your ass off is just jealous that you got a shit UAI. And by shit, I mean a UAI that you're not happy with.

Pardon my language.

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
funnybunny said:
i just had to descend into this type iof language so thart ppl liike nothat bright, dreamish, U can understand me/....ogababaga
ROFL.

Funnybunny, did we ever type like that? If you really did descend, please come back up because the language we use is English.

funnybunny

HSC
"ur chee chang chong and your kung fu and ur rice eatin with those funny chop stiks"... nicce...since i'm not even asian u racist bigot

"I think he's just a trol" i hope that's just an avatar and not ur face..coz it looks like a real troll...maybe refects ur personality

"The parts in bold are basic spelling errors..." the parts not in bold for ur posts are major spelling errors

"I don't think anyone can really be that retarded and still get into med school." Maybe ur definition of retard is retarded. If u actually look at the earilier posts...i posted up good replies...but then notthatbright entered the thread and thus u knkoe the rest..this thread just went down..

:wave:

funnybunny

HSC
Dreamrish
Funnybunny, did we ever type like that?" IT's called sarcasm., besides "we" trying to form a group. ha? Can't use ur own intellect to reply..

SEEEE nothtatbright even agrees!!!

Damage Inc.-that's stupid..

Maybe i'll say something that u can understanding...I am right...you are wrong MUAHHAHAAAHAHA

Wontong Wontong FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT RIGHT. No one can get a very good uai 99+ without being smart.

"By the way, all you jackasses who says that a high UAI only means that you studied your ass off is just jealous that you got a shit UAI." HERE HERE ..I TOTALLY AGREE!!

"Pardon my language." NO NOthat's ok... these ppl can only understand that kind of language. Besides at least u ddin't use racist bigotted language "chhee chong chee u like kung fu" WTF seriously some ppl are jealous of asian intellect and asians whom try hard to get a good uai and get somewhere in in life

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
What sarcasm? Do you even know what sarcasm means?
funnybunny said:
Can't use ur own intellect to reply..
Bit rich coming from you.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
The Universities Admissions Index is a ranking of scaled aggregates used as one possible means of gaining entry to tertiary institutions.

As for my previous post, I wasn't talking about selective schools, the emphasis was on geography. UAI stats would have you believe that everyone in eastern sydney is a genius and everyone in rural areas are retarded. I'm willing to bet the opposite is more true with respect to life skills, common sense, conventional wisdom, etc.

funnybunny

HSC
Back to the topic. I think princess, wonton wonton are right. You need a gift, and some intelligence to memorise facts. You also need intelligence, analytical skills and critcial thinking to be able to excel in mathematics and the science subjects. :)

Probably it's more accurate to say that the HSC is some kind of indicator to how smart one is, if they actually tried their best during the hsc years. :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
funnybunny said:
You obivuosly don't go out much or u'll realise there are non-asians in unis. JUST ANOTHER example of jealousy against high uai-achievers..i pity u
Yes, you're correct; I don't go out. I sit on my computer all day with no life. I, in fact am willing to bet that you stay at home most of the time without much of a social life. Personally, I manage to lead a massive life outside study.
And never been to uni? Yeah, that's why I have very high marks, I suppose.

I am jealous? hahahaha hardly. I was 100% satisfied with 92.75 as I originally was only aiming for 88, as I only wanted B Arts at USYD at the time. However I realised that I wanted to be in marketing and also found a passion in psychology so am trying to get a transfer into a 97.6UAI course. However, I can get a transfer into this degree despite my lower UAI.

HSC
haha this topic is hilarious...why have we all become so...impassioned? :santa:

(also why does the jedi smilie not work)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
stazi said:
Yes, you're correct; I don't go out. I sit on my computer all day with no life. I, in fact am willing to bet that you stay at home most of the time without much of a social life. Personally, I manage to lead a massive life outside study.
And never been to uni? Yeah, that's why I have very high marks, I suppose.

I am jealous? hahahaha hardly. I was 100% satisfied with 92.75 as I originally was only aiming for 88, as I only wanted B Arts at USYD at the time. However I realised that I wanted to be in marketing and also found a passion in psychology so am trying to get a transfer into a 97.6UAI course. However, I can get a transfer into this degree despite my lower UAI.
He'd probably also discover that no one at uni will care/remember what your/their uai was.

samk00

Meh...
HSC
i think this whole conversation is the feeble attempt of low scoring UAI people trying to make themselves feel better by saying that the HSC doesnt measure intelligence and in "some" ways they're right. it is my opnion that it takes someone with brains and ALOT of "HARDWORK" to do well in HSC, so for u low scorers dont feel too bad, ur not dumb, ur just bludgers and if u bludged through the HSC then good luck with ur life. secondly, intelligence equates to nothing without actual "action" nobody cares if u think ur "intelligent" if ur "actual real life" results prove something else.

and finally, is "intelligence" really measureable or quantifiable ?

thats just my humble opinion to which i have a right to.

oh and funnybunny ...your "internet server" ???... actually learn something about computers before u go around making up terms that dont exist.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
funnybunny said:
Back to the topic. I think princess, wonton wonton are right. You need a gift, and some intelligence to memorise facts. You also need intelligence, analytical skills and critcial thinking to be able to excel in mathematics and the science subjects. :)

Probably it's more accurate to say that the HSC is some kind of indicator to how smart one is, if they actually tried their best during the hsc years. :)
*slaps forehead*

Being intelligent and being motivated are TWO completely different things.

Person A) can be mediocre, but learn the limited scope of concepts offered during the HSC, and thus achieve a 90+ UAI.
Person B) can be brilliant, but lazy and uninterested in the subjects offered, and only excels in say a Fine Arts subject such as Art/Design/Music. Achieves a mediocre 70 UAI.

IQ test gives Person A an IQ of 89, whereas Person B attains an IQ of 110.

If you want a decent look at who is 'intelligent' general knowledge and skills based, the year ten SC was a better indicator than the HSC imo, since it was all basic skills, and to a certain extent study was minimal in its examination. Then again, that has its flaws, but for the purposes of illustrating the difference between read/book knowledge and general/practical/real world knowledge I have used it as an example.

funnybunny

HSC
Captain Gh3y, I would like to know where you get your UAI stats. However most people go to school in easter sydney, and less do in the rural areas so it is most likely correct that most high uai achievers live in eastern sydney.

"I'm willing to bet..." Hang on so your're saying that even ppl who get low uais are also anti-social? Besides this post belongs to a different thread, that relatioships thingy, "high uai-not social thread" It has already been disscussed so please keep to the topic at hand.

Damage Inc.: OK then

"He'd prob realise..." Then since your a uni student, why do you care and why are you posting in this thread?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
funnybunny said:

You don't need a "gift" to memorise facts.

The other points I concede, re: critical thinking and analytical skills, and that also applies for the social sciences. But being able to memorise facts and regurgitate them in an exam doesn't mean you're somehow "gifted."

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
samk00 said:
i think this whole conversation is the feeble attempt of low scoring UAI people trying to make themselves feel better by saying that the HSC doesnt measure intelligence and in "some" ways they're right. it is my opnion that it takes someone with brains and ALOT of "HARDWORK" to do well in HSC, so for u low scorers dont feel too bad, ur not dumb, ur just bludgers and if u bludged through the HSC then good luck with ur life. secondly, intelligence equates to nothing without actual "action" nobody cares if u think ur "intelligent" if ur "actual real life" results prove something else.

and finally, is "intelligence" really measureable or quantifiable ?

thats just my humble opinion to which i have a right to.

oh and funnybunny ...your "internet server" ???... actually learn something about computers before u go around making up terms that dont exist.
We have people in here who got 90+ and 80+ are doing better than most 95+ people in their respective areas. I think you're post is just a feeble attempt to try and hide the fact, you have no idea what the hell you're talking about because you are still stuck in the bubble world of high school.

Intelligence equates to nothing without actual 'action' is all good an well, until you realise that we're talking about a single moment being a sign of intelligence. What we have presented is the possible, and very real scenario that someone may not be motivated, for factors only they could know, but at a later stage find and become successful.

One of the key issues within the understaffed/underresourced school system is that there are kids who are bright and intelligent, but get bored through the Year 9-10 phase, and because of lack of support or necessary resources to identify such students, that they tend to get bored, unmotivated and lack the same direction as those in better staffed or motivated backgrounds. So please, no more of this "oh unmotivated people are idiots and aren't smart."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)