The hypothesis (1 Viewer)

*miranda*

HSC
I thought maybe in this thread all us 07s could post our hypothesis - for feedback and whatnot.

Okay so here it goes (be warned mine are dodgy)

tensions between ethnicities in Australia, primarily Muslim and white Australians are a result of value differences due to cultural dissimilarities

OR

tensions are a result of an evolved feeling of “white supremacy” and fears of “white supremacy” existent in all ethnicities due to our collective past history of enslavement and feelings of superiority and inferiority.

N

noir.

They're both pretty good, but you need to keep your hypothesis a tad bit shorter. :p

I'd go with the second one, though.

*miranda*

HSC
thanks - just out of curiousity why do they need to be shorter? or are you being sarcastic? sorry if that seems like a completely dumb question - its the end of assessment week here and my brain is like sludge...i also have a 1st time teacher so he's not much help with stuff like that..

whats yours?

N

noir.

Haha no no, your hypothesis is fine. Its just that I had to read over your second one a few times to understand it :p

my hypothesis is - "Is commodification of faith due to the growing levels of faith or a manifestation of society's growing materialism." Was the easiest to think of since it was also my PIP topic :)

Kulazzi

HSC
They sound good but I like your second one better as well.

With the first one though, 'Muslim' is not an ethnicity - it is an identification for those who follow Islam. So what I think you need to put there, if you are doing the first one, is replace 'Muslim' with 'Middle-Eastern' mainly because that is the ethnic group who is clashing with the 'white' Australians.

tammi23

HSC
whats your opinion?

hey,:wave:
im doing a realted topic, although im not sure on the title..
it has some thing to do, with how white australians would react differently to a person of islam, on the northern beaches... basically because we dont have strong islamic community over here, although i need some feedback. ...i dont really know how to define it...
CAN ANY ONE HELP?

i think your first one was more appealing...

*miranda*

HSC
Re: whats your opinion?

thanks! yeah, middle eastern will sound much better. if you had to read it over a few times do you think i should re-write it to make it sound better?

gangles, really like your pip topic sounds very interesting. it links into a concept i was thinking of for ext 2 english but didn't do.

so tammi - is it that you think white aussies from the northern beaches react differently to islamic people because they don't have much to do with them? or due to a limited knowledge of them and therefore their opinions are influenced by negative media coverage?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I have to diagree with some people. I think the first hypothesis is better. It is more succint but you can certainly improve it alternative choice of words.

The second hypothesis is not very good because hypothesis is not meant to come with an explanation/justification. A hypothesis is just to state "what you think is going to happen". You actually justified in your hypothesis that this issue "is due to" this and that, which is not required. You leave the explanation in the Body/Conlusion of your PIP. And it also sounded a bit repetitive.

Remeber: a hypothesis is meant to be simple and succint!

*miranda* said:
I thought maybe in this thread all us 07s could post our hypothesis - for feedback and whatnot.

Okay so here it goes (be warned mine are dodgy)

tensions between ethnicities in Australia, primarily Muslim and white Australians are a result of value differences due to cultural dissimilarities

OR

tensions are a result of an evolved feeling of “white supremacy” and fears of “white supremacy” existent in all ethnicities due to our collective past history of enslavement and feelings of superiority and inferiority.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
my hypothesis is - "Is commodification of faith due to the growing levels of faith or a manifestation of society's growing materialism." Was the easiest to think of since it was also my PIP topic :)
Hmm, that's not really a hypothesis it's more like a question. I would strongly suggest you to change this. It would be good to state "commodification of faith IS due to the growing levels of faith AND a manifestation of society's growing materialism".

You can say "is this due to this OR that". That's a focus question, not a hypothesis! :)

lou_217

HSC
It's better to refer to 'white Australians' as Anglo-Saxon or Anglo-Celtic if you're looking at differences in culture between Middle Eastern culture and 'mainstream' Australian culture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)