the lake house (1 Viewer)

selurkcin

HSC
N/A
anyone seen advanced screenings or anything of it? i will be dragged to it most likely and would like to know just how much pain I will be sitting through.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i already made a thread about this. it's based on the Korean film Il Mare. i don't know if it's a complete rip-off or a remake of it. from what i've heard it's a remake and it acknowledges the Korean film it was 'borrowed' from.

Shaking Paper

HSC
I am a huge fan of Il Mare, which really is a great, great film.
I was pretty shocked a couple of weeks ago when I saw that a remake of it was coming out with Sandra Bullock and whatshisname.
I knew it couldnt possibly be very good, which reviews and stuff i've read echo, but i'm going to have to drag myself to it anyway, just to see how they pull it off.
Apparantly it's pretty similar, but with worse acting, set at a different date and with some changes, including a hollywoodized ending and poor subplots. It seems like there are a lot of logical errors concerning the passage of time too.
But yeah, i'll probably see it on the weekend. I totally recommend the original though, and hopefully with this crap coming out they might replay it. I'd been looking for a copy of the original for years after I saw it and only really recently managed to download it.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
You can get the original at Chinatown for about $15 - $20. I've got it on VCD.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
saw the adds for this

Don't think i'll see it though.

HSC
supposed to be seeing this on the weekend.... have no idea what it will be like though.

frootloop

HSC
I don't know about the whole two years apart thing. How the hell can that be possible? Is the mailbox at this alleged lake house like a mini time machine or something? :confused:

And Keanu Reeves will always be Neo from The Matrix in my eyes. :p

edit: haven't seen it yet... but I'll probably end up watching it eventually

Last edited:

tlodg

HSC
N/A
I have seen the korean movie. It's pretty romantic, but I don't like the speed of it and the ending. It's a bit slow. The ending is disappointing. Nice music, scenery and love though. The guy's hot too.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
the Korean original, Il Mare, is supposed to be melodramatic and subtle. it's more arthouse then mainstream. you have to watch it like an arthouse film.

if this is Hollywoodised the the pacing will be faster and ruins what the flim is about. the slow pacing is what give the original it's edge because the two character lived in a more relaxed world compared to America.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
I just saw this tonight.. apart from being slightly confusing, I thought it was really good. Keanu and Sandra make a good couple, almost as good as Ryan/Rachel (aka the Notebook). The pacing was still slow, but in a good way. It built the suspense.

Btw, "Il Mare" is used as a name for an important restaurant and said something like "Based on.. Il Mare" during the opening credits.

Shaking Paper

HSC
tlodg said:
I have seen the korean movie. It's pretty romantic, but I don't like the speed of it and the ending. It's a bit slow. The ending is disappointing. Nice music, scenery and love though. The guy's hot too.
The ending was the best part, the last couple of minutes are really intense emotionally, you really feel for the characters, and how it plays out isn't as predictable as you thought it was going to be. o_O
It's pretty rare in a romace film that i'm really, really hoping that they manage to get together.

I've heard the ending of the American remake has been changed and is pretty bad, hopefully they don't screw it up too much, and at least leave those final few minutes intact. I doubt you could ever come to like those two characters too much though. Sandra Bullock can only be Sandra Bullock to me, and like someone else mentioned, Keanu Reeves is Neo.

Last edited:

ediisjoz

HSC
i really liked the movie. i saw it today after my 2nd english trial... i was really emotional near the end.

sandra bullock made me think she was gonna break out in to a 28 days kinda character.. but yeah it was good.. but i spent the whole thing thinking about how they'd get together... the ending is just fast... but the movie is good.

HSC
Wow this movie was so fucking weird. I saw it four days ago and im still spinning out about it.

Shaking Paper

HSC
It was worse than I expected.
I couldnt get into the movie at all, mainly because of the things that really didnt make sense throughout it. I felt no emotion at any point fo the characters.
Doesnt make the original any worse though, so i'll stick to that. =]

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Shaking Paper said:
and like someone else mentioned, Keanu Reeves is Neo.
Haha. He'll always be Ted Theodore Logan to me. 'Party on dudes!'

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)