• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The 'Law Students' Lounge (1 Viewer)

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
This thread is dedicated to regular law chit-chat and as a forum for law students and future law students to chill.

I'm a hopeful future law student, but I was just wondering if I would be allowed into the law course since I'm only doing Standard English. Anyone who can shed some light on this issue would be much appreciated. Cool! Now chill. :)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Skeeter said:
This thread is dedicated to regular law chit-chat and as a forum for law students and future law students to chill.
Sweet! That sounds just like this forum I visit, I think this is an awesome and chill idea! Chill!!!

And no, doing standard english doesn't preclude you from doing law. You do however require a decent ability to think critically and pull things apart, which is what advanced english aims at building in you. It doesn't hurt to be able to write decent essays from day 1, either.

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
hfis said:
Sweet! That sounds just like this forum I visit, I think this is an awesome and chill idea! Chill!!!

And no, doing standard english doesn't preclude you from doing law. You do however require a decent ability to think critically and pull things apart, which is what advanced english aims at building in you. It doesn't hurt to be able to write decent essays from day 1, either.
But right now, I'm topping Legal Studies and I'm absolutely shitting on everyone else (I'm modest...as you can see). No but seriously, I think that I'm not too good at analysing texts which are handed out in english, but I can critically analyse a piece of case law and extract from it its significance and what not.

Would I be able to do a bridging course?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
You wont need a bridging course. The level of analysis required at uni is different to school anyway and you learn it as you go along as well as in your introductory law subjects that focus on legal writing. Don't worry the reason most peoples marks in first year are worst than their marks in the following years is because they are still developing their writing style. Sure you can hang here and good luck.

What uni and course are you aiming for?

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
melsc said:
You wont need a bridging course. The level of analysis required at uni is different to school anyway and you learn it as you go along as well as in your introductory law subjects that focus on legal writing. Don't worry the reason most peoples marks in first year are worst than their marks in the following years is because they are still developing their writing style. Sure you can hang here and good luck.

What uni and course are you aiming for?
Ummmm, I think the only univrsity I'd be able to get into for law would be UWS. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go to USyd or Maquarie, but I just don't think I'd be able to hit that 99% mark.

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
Malfoy said:
Hello everyone! :)

@Skeeter: I think you'd be fine. I did lots of humanities (3u of English and all three histories) and was doing an artsy degree before I transferred to Law, and the skill set required is totally different.

Also, UTS and Macq have cutoffs lower than 99, so you might be able to get in elsewhere :)
I think I'll be floating around the 85% UAI range so that pretty much rules out all the 'prestigeous' universities. The cutoff for UWS is 90%, but because I live in the Greater Western Sydney area, I automatically recieve 5 extra UAI points. I hope to God I get in. :read:

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
Malfoy said:
Well, for what it's worth UWS isn't a bad uni, especially if you're doing a good course. My brother goes to the Kingswood campus to do PE teaching and he's finding it fairly good.

Best of luck to you though, whatever you choose to do. :)
Thanks a heap and same to you!

Thing I heard about UWS is the prejudice potential employers may hold against it. Is that whole notion of UWS not being up to scratch with all the other more mainstream universities still upheld with major law firms, or is it beginning to fall? Don't worry, you can give me a straight out answer, I won't be discouraged in the slightest!

doink

Clone
HSC
Good Luck getting into Law, just work hard and it will pay-off, remember HD avg at UWS > Pass avg at USYD, (you don't want to come here anyway).

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
doink said:
Good Luck getting into Law, just work hard and it will pay-off, remember HD avg at UWS > Pass avg at USYD, (you don't want to come here anyway).
What's the matter with USyd?

I know that the qualifications you recieve from UWS are pretty much identical to those of USyd and UNSW, but what I'm worried about is the prejudice larger firms may hold against UWS graduates.

How are you finding the law course?

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
Malfoy said:
To be honest, I don't know about it. I'm actually not intending on becoming a lawyer, so I haven't really looked into it that much. I'd think that so long as you personally were a good candidate, and you achieved fairly good marks, you'd be able to get a decent job.

If you don't like UWS and you get decent marks, you can transfer to Law at a different university. I didn't initially put it on my preferences, but even if I had my UAI wouldn't have been high enough to get into UTS Law. I stayed in my old degree for two years with good marks and transferred to the degree I'm in now.

Do you want to do a combined degree? If so, what would your other degree be in?
I'm thinking of also doing an Arts degree alongside the Law degree in order to widen my scope of thinking and to just allow me to gather some general knowledge.

So, if I were to achieve good marks at UWS, would I be able to transfer to USyd or UNSW?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hi all. you've probably known me. i'm the all-rounded law student who does most, if not all, of his readings. i 'gun' quite a bit in class (although i know when to shut up and all my contributions are relevant). i make my own notes (and loathe people who don't). i did a clerkship, here and overseas. i've mooted internally and externally. i've participated in student societies. i don't play much sport, but i read. alot. when i read, i enjoy spotting instances where judges use legal latin, puns or literary allusions.

i have a desire to do something more than top tier law, but, being a typical, risk-aversive law student, i'm going to stick with top tier for a few years, then see what happens. i secretly hope one day i'll be able to deliver rapier-sharp submissions in front of a full court of distinguished judges.

my parents are typically asian. their life goal is to see their son and daughter become doctors or lawyers, but not both at the same time. their hobbies include, inter alia, supervising our high school education, nagging me about my personal life and playing monopoly (ie, monitoring the real estate market). we have two toyotas at home. i live in the west.

i'm snowed in at the moment with double assignments. intellectual property law is very technical.

i am but a law school stereotype. love me or hate me, there are many of me. thank you for reading my little rant. :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
we're all old boys: Murphy J, Jordan and Spigelman CJJ, Beaumont, Hely and Wooten JJ, Glass and Priestley JJA.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
Skeeter said:
... but I was just wondering if I would be allowed into the law course since I'm only doing Standard English...
sure dude, you'd actually be surprised that a lot of law students, myself included, came from a maths/science background (physics chem adv maths etc) and therefore had quite mediocre writing ability. in fact, doing physics and chem helped me a lot with law. a lot of people i know who are doing well in law did the hardcore science subjects at school. this isn't as surprising as it sounds. after all, it's about identifying rules camouflaged with irrelevant stuff in a bundle of mess and then sorting it out - much like a physics problem. wasn't Lord Denning MR a bit of a mathematician? he also had a maths degree did he not?

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
MichaelJackson2 said:
sure dude, you'd actually be surprised that a lot of law students, myself included, came from a maths/science background (physics chem adv maths etc) and therefore had quite mediocre writing ability. in fact, doing physics and chem helped me a lot with law. a lot of people i know who are doing well in law did the hardcore science subjects at school. this isn't as surprising as it sounds. after all, it's about identifying rules camouflaged with irrelevant stuff in a bundle of mess and then sorting it out - much like a physics problem. wasn't Lord Denning MR a bit of a mathematician? he also had a maths degree did he not?
/

Last edited:

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Malfoy said:
To be honest, I don't know about it. I'm actually not intending on becoming a lawyer, so I haven't really looked into it that much. I'd think that so long as you personally were a good candidate, and you achieved fairly good marks, you'd be able to get a decent job.
Do you think it's worth doing law if you dont want to be a lawyer? I dont want to be a lawyer but i'm thinking of doing commerce/law (if I get the UAI) because I think the law part will be quite benefical and its something I'm quite interested in despite not wanting to be a lawyer. Some people have told me its not worth the 5 year course and that I'm better off doing a 3 year commerce degree and working in the industry for 2 years.

What do you want to do and do you think that doing a law degree is beneficial?

Last edited:

tahlsy31191

HSC
I am thinking I most prob will be doing law next year. Unsure about which uni though.
Which one to you guys reckon you will be going to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)