• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The meaning of multiculturalism and its limits (2 Viewers)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
miao miao please read katie_tully's post. she's not as bad as anti-mathmite and makes relevant points from her point of view that shouldn't altogether be ignored. she's thought it through and given it thought. do the curtesy of actually reading through it before you criticise her.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
'To be born English is to come first in the lottery of life.' RIP Grandad.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Yes I did make a generalisation as far as asian attitude to education goes however it is based both on anecdotes and stats. Koreans for instance spend 25% of GDP on education. I tutor Korean children from yr2-8 in maths, they get up at 5:30 they go to sleep at 11:00, they are very competitive and very intelligent. Anglo-celts as a general rule do not invest that much time or money in education. Our matriculation rates are also lower than the tiger economies.

Finally as far as numbers in accounting, apparently its a national priority therefore on completion graduaes can claim permenant residency.

Mathmite you confuse successful multi-culturalism and successful assimilation by suggesting that migrants should abandon their own culture.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Speaking as an Anglo-Scot, I think devotion to education, involvment in the old technical universities etc. has always been of singular priority.
Competition has a lot to do with education though, which can be prompted by plenty (sibling rivalry, parent's affection, proving racial worth blah blah blah). I dont think it's the domain of certain cultures.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Destroying the kids through 6.5 hours of sleep a night so that they may be thrown into a hot house? Sure, that's indicative of a greater value attached to an education.

Stats aren't that difinitive when they are used to compare different systems (6 hours of school here to however many in Korea), and as much as I may dislike Nelson, he has a more than valid point when he criticises the societal pressures that appear to be driving kids to university to the detriment of the trades and other forms of training.

Kids need time to be kids. That's my position on the matter, anyway.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
What about destroying university students who are under greater pressure to do work than yr 12s.

We all know that kids and young adults (that happen to turn into adults) are very strongly driven...often at the expense of a childhood or normality.

Certainly those who made med or law or other high uai can be a little scary. The point is that these people thrive off it.

There is a difference between a kid and a teenager/young adult, and also between external and internal drivers, and I thought that that would be clear, Asquithian.

Edit: I don't know how you reached the assumption that I was in some way against those who are driven to the point of (what I would call) madness, because I thought that I was quite clear in stating that i was against the hot housing of kids at the expense of their childhood. I wasn't talking about teenagers or young adults, but kids. There's more to life than rote learning (as I know your know after reading your stories of childhood dreamings with boats and cars), especially at that age, and that was my point.

Last edited:

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
yes you can, you tell them that they cant acheive their goals, that it is unrealistic. phycoanalyse them in every possibly aspect. crush their will to live. maybe then they will stop being such arrogant pricks. i hate people who think because they do good in school they are "Better" than other people. maybe just because they bust a gut studying 6 hours a night after they get home from school is the reason they get good marks? maybe they arent as smart as the people who hold down a job, look after their siblings and put up with other stresses aswell as exceling at other hobies such as sport and still manage almost as good marks are better.

it was kind of funny at school the other day, one girl seemed intimidated because my friend beat her by 1/2 a mark when school is her entire life. kinda sad really when your score in a test is just a rough indication, like u could have not slept the night before and so performed a little worse or whatever

dont pressure your kids, but make em study and give them motivation... just dont kill them with only 6.5 hours sleep a night

edit: corrected typo which made a serious statement seem amusing

Generator

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
The difference is that many asian parents expect their children to do well. My parents were of the 'education is very important. However it's up to you'...
You seem to be suggesting that that is an Asian trait as opposed to one that all decent parents share. I do admit that the focus on academic pursuits may be generalised as being an Asian trait, but it isn't as though a focus on education in general (preparing the child for the future, I would say) is something that is lacking within the general Anglo-Celtic population.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Generator said:
You seem to be suggesting that that is an Asian trait as opposed to one that all decent parents share. I do admit that the focus on academic pursuits may be generalised as being an Asian trait, but it isn't as though a focus on education in general (preparing the child for the future, I would say) is something that is lacking within the general Anglo-Celtic population.
Exactly. It's circumstantial.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
You simply cannot suggest that people who immigrate here are going to feel 100% Australia. However as the generations past their children will FEEL just as Australia as their 'white' counterparts. As pointed out by Drew Fraser, in his infinate wisdom, asian's are creating a managerial class. Well at least they are contributing to the GDP.
I made reference to people of different cultures interacting with eachother. I did not suggest that different cultures adopt an 'Australian culture' and i made no reference to integration. I merely mean interacting with other cultures because even on an unconscious level, at university (specifically this context), there are people will group together and in part this is based on appearance. Will they interact with eachother? Well that's questionable.

Asquithian said:
But would you be surprised that asian kids sit together? White Australia hates them. Not for any cognitive reason. But because of their colour. They certainly havn't met these asian kids but 85% of ACA people felt that they should judge these people on the basis of their skin colour and thus come to the racist conclusion that they are 'dangerous'.
No i wouldn't be surprised that Asians sit together, but do you see non-Asians students making an attempt at interacting with a group of Asians? Do you see a non-Asian approaching a group of Asians and introducint themselves? It rarely happens.

And if your suggesting that Asian kids sit together becuase White Australia hates them, well that's quite extreme. I would suggest other reasons e.g Language, relating to a similar culture.

How many ppl responded to that ACA poll anyway?

supercharged

HSC
N/A
There is an overwhelming representation of asians at selective schools and at unis especially unsw, probably because it is a parental expectation for them to get a high uai

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Iron said:
'To be born English is to come first in the lottery of life.' RIP Grandad.
lol really? not if you have to eat the food...
President Jacques Chirac is reported to have cracked jokes about British food during a meeting with German and Russian leaders.

A French newspaper quoted Mr Chirac as saying "One cannot trust people whose cuisine is so bad" and "after Finland, it is the country with the worst food".

Last edited:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Not really. Australia is an inherently racist nation. White Australia doesnt hate them. White Australia is wary of them. Doesn't trust them. People alive today were alive when White Australia was enforced. People still fear the 'yellow peril'. Asian is going to 'fall on us'. White Australia keeps moving to QLD and Tassie because of the 'Asian ghettos'...

You don't have to dig very deep to find animosity amoung a great part of white Australia towards anyone who doesn't conform.

Language barriers (when they exist. I mean asian law students are hardly illiterate) sometimes can be exaggerated.
So are you suggesting that the reason why all the Australians group together in my first yr accounting lecture is becuase they don't trust the Asians in accounting? Or am i simplifying the situation too much?

Asqy, the subjects you take require a strong level of English (based on my understanding that you do Law, History, Politics). Have you been in a course which isn't one where you have to be particularly strong in english, where the number of non-asians outnumber Asian students and in particular Asian students of international background? From my experience so far, they group together or otherwise attempt to befriend someone of a similar background based on appearnace.

What i;ve been saying so far, relates to experiences i've had at university

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
That Chinese I had tonight isn't assimilating with me at all.

julius

Banned
HSC
got proof? by overthrow i take it you mean the total destruction of multiculturalism and the expulsion of non-whites.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:

It isn't much different from a person who goes to usyd (usyd can be the white person for example) and bags out uws constantly (the asian person). The usyd person obviously has an ego or confidence problem. They have nothing else to be proud of personally so they stand on the 'coat tails' of their university (their race) in order to be proud of something.

They distinguish for the sake of making themselves feel better. They distinguish on the basis of group triats rather than individual triats. WHY? because they are weak individually and feel the need to boost confidence in a group. They lack independence and an ability to think for themselves.
Some valid points, however I don't agree with the university analogy, being in usyd as opposed to uws is something to be proud of due to the higher uai entry requirements compared to uws (personal achievement, not coat tails) :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)