• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The meaning of these words:: (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
What does concurrent mean?

What does Abscissa mean?
(Abscissa in terry lee book seems to have double meaning, the x foot and y foot, i want this cleared up :))

What does transverse axis, and conjugate axis mean?

it's all from conics.. has there been a thread like this before?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Concurrent: All throught the same point

Abscissa: x-foot (or x co-ordinate)

Not sure about the other two, can you use them in a setence (or question) ...

N

ND

Originally posted by underthesun

What does transverse axis, and conjugate axis mean?

it's all from conics.. has there been a thread like this before?
transverse axis - the axis that the foci lie on.
conjugate axis - the axis perpendicular to the transverse axis.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
thanks, btw..

collinear = all through same point, and im not sure if concurrent means the same thing.

if anyone has T.Lee book, see excercise 5.7A, question 7. It's telling you to show that a tangent, an asymptote and a directrix is concurrent. So what does that really mean?

Another T.Lee book strange stuff, excercise 5.3A question 10. Just flip over to the answers page, and it is telling you that the abscissa of the mentioned point is when x = 0, which is y axis foot (y co-ordinate).

don't you hate jargons? :D

Twintip

collinear = all through same point, and im not sure if concurrent means the same thing.
Incorrect. Collinear is where a straight line can be drawn through all points [ie: m(AB) = m(BC) = m(AC)]. Concurrent is where there is a common solution for a number of equations (ie: all through the same point).

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Originally posted by Twintip
Incorrect. Collinear is where a straight line can be drawn through all points [ie: m(AB) = m(BC) = m(AC)]. Concurrent is where there is a common solution for a number of equations (ie: all through the same point).
thanks, but about the collinear,
:eek:I was just unaware of what i was typing :D

edit: never mind, i lack sl33p..

N

ND

don't you hate jargons? :D
Wait until you get to volumes. I don't know if they're in all the books, but the T. Lee has some strange terms there. Thank god for my maths dictionary.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
did volumes last year, but i skipped classes a lot and went to game PC rooms..

did the HSC last year, and did the volumes question all right

until..

this year, my new Maths teacher told me that the jargons for volume, that riemann sum thingy, must be put in. not to mention writing in the "disc with thickness dx"..

then I remember the HSC last year, on the volumes question..

N

ND

this year, my new Maths teacher told me that the jargons for volume, that riemann sum thingy, must be put in. not to mention writing in the "disc with thickness dx"..

You have to put all that stuff in there? Is that only with your teacher, or in the HSC exam too? I usually skip all that and write only the integral.

Btw, were you able to do the carioid q. in the Lee book? I think that's the hardest q. in the book.

yawwn

umm

I know I'm not the smartest person on this planet but I don't try to be. You guys sound like your really smart. have you done all your 4 unit topics and not worry about 3 unit and 2 unit. We don't get tested on 2 unit but they incorporate it into the 4 unit test making them harder.....
What percentages have you guys got in any of your tests and what topics have you done.
Our school is pretty slow cause we have so many doing it, two classes of approx. 20 each.
The topics we've done are; Conics
polynomials
Intergration
umm (the one with ellipses and hyperbola)
and we're starting volumes..
:mad1:

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Originally posted by ND

You have to put all that stuff in there? Is that only with your teacher, or in the HSC exam too? I usually skip all that and write only the integral.

Btw, were you able to do the carioid q. in the Lee book? I think that's the hardest q. in the book.
He wants diagrams, and he did full working including that riemann sum symbol, and changed it to the integration stuff later on. Then he goes on to say that it is what he expects to see..

what carioid question? :D
volumes aren't in tomorrow's test, so i guess i can always ignore it :D

Originally posted by yawwn

I know I'm not the smartest person on this planet but I don't try to be. You guys sound like your really smart. have you done all your 4 unit topics and not worry about 3 unit and 2 unit. We don't get tested on 2 unit but they incorporate it into the 4 unit test making them harder.....
What percentages have you guys got in any of your tests and what topics have you done.
Our school is pretty slow cause we have so many doing it, two classes of approx. 20 each.
The topics we've done are; Conics
polynomials
Intergration
umm (the one with ellipses and hyperbola)
and we're starting volumes..

actually, we should be sounding that we are desperate for marks..

btw that's heaps of people doing 4unit. There was more in my class, but my teacher have been pressuring people that don't do well to drop down, by force. He said he will try to drop the person "by all his powers".

His reason? He's strict, and he don't want bad class average. I guess it makes sense, but i have pity on the other students who were forced to drop 4unit (and 3unit)

there were.. 15 4unit students?

now there's 10, 5 of them was forced to drop, or somethign like that. I'm pretty sure he wants to drop few more, but he can't..

Twintip

We have 63 people (4 classes) doing 4 unit which is a lot for a non-selective school. We've basically done the same as you yawwn, I assume you've done complex no's as well. We've been doing volumes for about a week. :)

Last edited:

spice girl

magic mirror
*sigh*

go tell your maths teacher to teach physics. maths HSC hasn't been contaminated with "having to put jargon".

looks like he's just trying to show off...

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
we had 17 kids, now we have 14. sbhs has more than 100 ext2 students :eek:
i go to a non-selective school... there are really smart ppl and so-so people. dont think the standard is that high generally but i'm not really sure.

N

ND

He wants diagrams, and he did full working including that riemann sum symbol, and changed it to the integration stuff later on. Then he goes on to say that it is what he expects to see..

what carioid question?
volumes aren't in tomorrow's test, so i guess i can always ignore it

That's gotta suck. My teacher insists that i should improve my setting out (i.e. spread it out), but he never takes marks off for it.

The cardioid q. is in the set C in the volumes by slicing chapter (i think its slicing). It gives you the parametric eqn of a cardioid and tells you to find the volume. Very difficult.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)