"the medium is the message"??? CSSA trials (1 Viewer)

miche11e

HSC
that was such an anoying question!! half the people came out like "what is a medium"?
it didnt really fit my essay, but i made it work. lucky there was only 1 related text needed or i wouldnt have finished... as it was i didnt write my conclusion...

revanchist

HSC
The medium was the text-type used for the text. I'm not sure how specific it needed to be, but you're looking at whether it was printed or on film etc, was it a novel, a docco, an autobiography, poetry etc. And I'm not sure if you have to be as specific as say 'prose fiction' or 'dystopian novel'.
I tried arguing that it wasn't the medium, but the techniques used that was the message which was marked down pretty heavily because apparently you were SUPPOSED to say the the kinds of techniques used are a result of the medium.
Eg, docco - archival footage, novel - imagery. Hence, medium = message.

Of course, if I could do it again I would still argue that the medium wasn't the message, that diff mediums use diff tqs but would still convey the same message (and say that the message is the same between my texts despite their use of diff techniques).

lionking1191

HSC
isn't that just a st foward regurgitation (with the use of a thesaurus) of the rubric?

thommy

HSC
N/A
I can't believe how many people bombed out in this essay. At my school, the average was 11.9. How could so many people not know what a medium is?! Especially seeing it's the major part of this Module. A medium is the text type, for example, song, film. Each certain text type has its own way of delivering message, through different means/techniques. For example, only a film can use a close up shot.

Kings407

HSC
if this module is called representations and text and the elective is called telling the truth shouldnt the question have something to do with truth in it??? this question had nothing at all about truth in it so that is wot screwed me.

HSC
Kings407 said:
if this module is called representations and text and the elective is called telling the truth shouldnt the question have something to do with truth in it??? this question had nothing at all about truth in it so that is wot screwed me.
it was about how the medium was used to portray the 'truth' ie Robertson used his book (the medium) in an attempt to change the legal system, by altering the 'turth' within the court cases he took part in using (insert language techniques)

Annalisee

HSC
I got 12 which was my best for modules, pretty tragic I know.

I still don't understand this module at all and have so many related texts with hardly any detail which pisses me off.

Matt1120

Basically a History Nerd
HSC
Lol that couaght basically my whole school off guard.

We had one guy who came up with a solution to it who got the lowest mark lol. It was

Medium= Plural of Media
Therefore the medium is the ministry of truth in 1984.

The look on his face when we told him what it actually was ROFL good times...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)