The Offical Tennis thread (1 Viewer)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Now i'm one of those ppl who follows tennis all yr round, so i created this thread to talk about tennis all yr round not just at the grand slams!

Yay for Kim Clijsters winning Indian Wells in only her 2nd tournie back from injury, beating Lindsay 6-4 4-6 6-2.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Yay for a tennis thread. I'd watch it all year round, except I don't have satellite TV, so I only follow it on www.atptennis.com/en or www.wtatour.com. Yeah.. good for Kim on beating Davenport. How dare she beat Maria 6-0 6-0 :angry:.

On the men's side, I really hope Nadal will fully come into his own soon and start challenging Federer for the big tournaments. Clearly Roddick and Hewitt aren't good enough for it, and Safin's too inconsistent.

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
Hewitt v. Federer final in Indian Wells................will be interesting..........

I think Rogers gonna be too strong...

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
OMG i have totally neglected my tennis thread due to half-yearlies.

Poor JC lost 6-1 6-2 to Rafa in his hometown on clay :( :(

And yay for Kim Clijsters winning Miami too and becoming the first person since Graf in 94 to win the 'march double'.

cappen

Has an Executive Member
HSC
phillipousis is a gimp....i dnt like him at all

but go molik and hewitt tho

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
someone tell me what happening with rafael nadal... or a link or something please

oh and i watched andy roddick on punk'd... andy is hot and was more calm then what i would be in the situation he was in. he was even making a joke out of it at stages... ahhhh wat a cutie.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Rafy has won 16 of his last 17 matches. Winning back to back titles in Costa Do Sauipe, Acapulco and making the final in Miami only to lose to Roger Federer in 5 thrilling sets.

Definite favourite for Roland Garros.

Bad start for Alicia to the clay season, she lost to Razzano 6-4 6-4.

cappen

Has an Executive Member
HSC
Sweets said:
Bad start for Alicia to the clay season, she lost to Razzano 6-4 6-4.

she'll bounce back, shes and Aussie

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
guess what i own?
a signed picture of maria sharapova that says
to tom best wishes then the signature...
jealousy all round

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Go Rafael Nadal, he's the next big thing. In 2 years Federer and Nadal will be the top 2 players in the world. I predict it'll be one of the great rivalries, maybe as great as Sampras vs Agassi.

cappen

Has an Executive Member
HSC
TurboTom said:
guess what i own?
a signed picture of maria sharapova that says
to tom best wishes then the signature...
jealousy all round

i got a kiss on the cheek form kournakova a few yrs ago wen she was in syd at the adidas store..my bros mate is a pro sports footagrapher

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
jim_green said:
Go Rafael Nadal, he's the next big thing. In 2 years Federer and Nadal will be the top 2 players in the world. I predict it'll be one of the great rivalries, maybe as great as Sampras vs Agassi.
I agree, totally i love Rafy but I think if he really wants to challenge Federer he's going to have to improve his backhand cause his backhand because he's constantly running around it cause he loves his awesome forehand so much and his serve. But seeing he's only 18 he is only going to improve.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
bit of a old article but heck i will post it anway...Marat Marat Marat

MARAT TORTURED BY GREATEST SUCCESS

Marat Safin still punishes himself with self-doubt two months after his Grand Slam win in Melbourne

There are those who believe that Marat Safin is the most sublime of tennis talents and the player best equipped to wage a serious threat to the imperious Roger Federer.

Others genuinely fear for the Russian's sanity, so often does his inner psyche suffer peaks and troughs that don't affect his peers.

Both schools of thought hoped that his triumph in the Australian Open, which included a truly epic semi-final victory over Federer followed by an emphatic win over Lleyton Hewitt to capture a long overdue second major title, would finally exorcise the demos that have tormented Safin for so long.

Two months on from his Melbourne victory, however, such expectations seem to have been blown away. A first-round exit in Dubai has been followed by disappointing third-round exits at the prestigious Masters Series events in Indian Wells and Miami.

Are those wondrous few days at Melbourne Park really still so fresh in the memory? Listening to Safin's lament, it seems as though it all happened an age ago.

"Everything is becoming more difficult," Safin moans with the hang-dog look of a man struggling to recollect what it's like to win a match, let alone lift major prizes.

"It's difficult to go out there on court without the confidence, but it's almost inevitable. After Australia, there was always going to be a period when I went downhill again,"

Less tangled minds than Safin's would have sat back for a week or so after winning the year's opening major event, savoured every aspect of what he had achieved and then used it as a platform of self-esteem from which to build. But not this young man; he is almost using the trophy as a weight to drag himself down in self-doubt.

"I am not like Roger (Federer)," insisted Safin, apparently paying no heed to the five-set victory he scored against the Swiss. "He's way too high and has all the skills. Even when he is not playing well, he has enough feeling and talent to cover it up. Me, when I'm not playing well, I just suffer a little bit more and my game sinks because most of the time it's a risk."

Unlike Federer, who was utterly pragmatic after his loss in Australia and has regrouped superbly to collect successive titles in Rotterdam, Dubai and, most recently, Indian Wells, a handful of post-Melbourne defeats were all that was required to wreck Safin's poise.

Like many artists before him, Safin seemed to be set on a course of self-depreciation. "I'm a perfectionist," he claimed. "It's really difficult for me, you know, to admit or to accept that I'm not playing really well."

Had his Miami Masters opened against Irakli Labadze ended in another defeat instead of the extremely close 6-4 2-6 7-6 win, there is no telling how much Safin would have sunk. After all, he was facing the world's No. 105-ranked player, a man who really does have problems; Labadze has a kidney stone that regularly demands the strongest of painkillers, not to mention a subpoena from an Austrian court on the issue of possible match-fixing.

Safin, despite winning his first major title at the 2000 US Open, has long struggled with simply existing in America.

He has never progessed past the third round in seven attempts at Indian Wells, and apart from once making it the quarterfinals, he has been similarly ineffectual in Miami.

Repeatedly he has tried different approaches to overcome his alien feelings. Hotels have varied, along with the size of his travelling entourage. This year Safin was attempting to prove the more the merrier.

In an attempt to get back to family values, he has his girlfriend, his mother, Rausa, and his younger sister Dinara (a competitor on the WTA Tour) along for company, as well as coach Peter Lundgren and fitness trainer Walt Lammers (I think they mean Landers...and i thought he wasn't working with him anymore???)

"Everybody's here on my shoulders because I need the support," he said. "There are times when you bring people you know to carry you, and that's what I'm trying. If that doesn't work, next time I'll try something different again."

Yet all the regular hallmarks of the 25-year-old's frustrations have been there to see. He mangled two racquets after losing his temper in one match, and then ripped his shirt down to the line of his breast-bone before tugging it off his shoulders and tossing it away on the court in disgust. Of course he received the obligatory warning for his behaviour; it wouldn't be a true Safin struggle without a little enforced discipline thrown in.

The continuing disapppointment is that he needs to resort to such indiscretions. We hoped that Australia would represent a new dawn for this undeniably hugely talented individual. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
jim_green said:
i remember falling in love with him when it was the 2003 aus open...
but i reckon him and federer will have a good rivialry at least i hope anyway.
i dont think hewitt or roddick will ever quite catch up
they will always be one step behind federer.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
jim_green said:
no way... i reckon he overrated now as it is... he doesnt have anything particularly special nor does he have the potential to develop that
gael monfils will be the next big thing
if not my sister who is 1 in the state for her age

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Nadal's forehand is one of the best on tour already and he's as quick and tenacious as Hewitt, not bad for an 18 year old. I like to think of him as a lefthanded Hewitt with good groundstrokes Anyway he's old enough that he'll play a lot of matches against Federer in his career before Federer (5 years older) retires.

Gael Monfils on the other hand.. is something like 16, and it's very impressive that he's winning against good players and having a go on the pro circuit at such a young age, but it's a bit early to tell just yet. No doubt he has huge potential as well, but even if he does ever get up there, when he reaches his full potential (probably around 20-25 if he's like most players), Federer would be close to retirement anyway. So.. he won't be the NEXT big thing by any stretch of imagination. If all goes well for him though the next great tennis era (e.g. Lendl, Sampras, Federer) might belong to him. Like I said, too early to tell.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Rafy's run comes to an end, he was beaten 7-5 6-2 by Igor Andreev in Valencia.

As to Gael he deffinetly has shown major potential as a junior (he won 3 of 4 grand slams last yr if i remember correctly) and he's had some really good results this yr. And he's actually 18. He's soo tall.

Then again alot of players show major potential as juniors ala Richie Gasquet but they don't really live up to all the hype that surrounds them.

Monte Carlos starts next week, yay!

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Sweets said:
Rafy's run comes to an end, he was beaten 7-5 6-2 by Igor Andreev in Valencia.

As to Gael he deffinetly has shown major potential as a junior (he won 3 of 4 grand slams last yr if i remember correctly) and he's had some really good results this yr. And he's actually 18. He's soo tall.

Then again alot of players show major potential as juniors ala Richie Gasquet but they don't really live up to all the hype that surrounds them.

Monte Carlos starts next week, yay!
Yeah.. it's hard to tell isn't it? Before 2003 Federer looked quite run of the mill, and he was already 21 in 2003.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)