• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
mecurial said:
Arse.

The team was reaching its collective peak - many of them will not be back in four years time.

We will have fuck knows who coaching us.

In terms of the draw we will be faced with a completely different situation. (Judging by the standard of this match, semi finals would of been very very possible. Once we are in a semi-final, winning the World fucking Cup is a very distinct possibility.)

This opportunity may never come again.

But hey, sure, let's accept the generic lines of how we did ourselves proud and competed in a great spirit, and whatever other bullshit is fed to us.
The opportunities will be endless. The future of Australian football is very bright. The Socceroos of future generations will be much, much better than this team. If you knew anything about Australian football you wouldn't make such stupid comments. ALTHOUGH, I do agree with you about the coaching thing. The FFA should have at least kept Neeskens to continue what Guus started.

Last edited:

robbie1

HSC
It was a slight error in judgement by Neill to go down like that, but I also thought he was man of the match and man of the tournament for Australia. Very unlucky.

Poor decision by the referee, but shit happens. The boys did the country proud and will go down as legends of the game in Australia.

Just remember, "wounds heal, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever" :)

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Constip8edSkunk - a foul in the box, is a foul in the box. There is no way an indirect free kick in the box will be given for a foul. It was Lucas Neill's mistake and a clear penalty and everyone should stop denying it. Sure Australia didn't deserve to bow out like this but that's football.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
....and everyone should stop bagging out refs. They are only human. We have the benefit of replays over and over again whereas they have a split-second. I think most people should stop being sour cunts and look ahead.

Jiga

keep thinking back to how shit we were in the confederations cup. yes guus might have made a couple of mistakes but he has completely transformed the team, he instilled a new sense of confidence, teamwork, organisation, and tactical awareness. what he has done in the short time he had and PART-TIME is nothing short of amazing
I think Guus' off-field preperation has been great, he prepared the team very well both physicall and mentally for all games. HOWEVER, I question his decisions in games. Against Japan, he played players out of position and had Cahill benched, it was only his what I could ony describe as panick reaction, to put what like 4 people up front and bring on fresh legs, that got that win. It should have been alot easier. Secondly, against Croatia, putting Kalac on, sure Swartzer wasnt in his best form, but he was by no means playing crap, and da Italy game once again showed that he is all quality. Lastly, against Italy, he waits till their is like 10mins left on the clock, to bring on Aloisi, and holds back Kennedy who, if you watched any of our other games, has an instant impact upon games. Fair enough he was trying to set us up for an easy extra time victory, but he wasnt reading the game well, it was obvious we were struggling in attack and they were starting to look very dangerous, but he failed to act. And in light of our 'fitness' why he was worried about conserving players on the bench is interesting.

On top of this, he never played Skoko and Lazarides etc as someone mentioned... opting to go for players like Wilkshire who oppositions completed dominanted, particularly physically. And also, despite saying he prepared the team well mentally, I think their were some issues that the players werent happy with... such as announcing the team late, the last thing they should need to worry about is that. If anyone saw an interview with Swartzer, some comments were thrown around which gave me the distinct impression that he was very pissed off about being dropped and with Guus' strategy of telling the players late who was in the team... and Im guessing he was jus reflecting players thought tbh.

As for the confederations cup as well.... I dont really know to much about it.... but I can only assume we were without alot of palyers so its hard to gauge his coaching ability by comparing how we've gone to that.

And dont get me wrong, Im just looking at it here from one perspective..... and in the end, like the Japan game, it comes down to a decision to go one way or another..... which the coach had to choose, making him the villain of the hero. In the Japan game we has the hero, but in the Italy game he let us down with the late and lack intertchange use.

It was Lucas Neill's mistake and a clear penalty and everyone should stop denying it
Have you even seen the game? Neil went to ground, kept his hands to himself and kept still.... the Italian guy than proceeded to run into him on purpose to milk the foul. If that is a foul, then soccer is the softest sport in this world, where you get penalised for nothing. It should have been a yellow card to the Italian for diving :uhhuh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
http://www.fifa.com/en/regulations/regulation/0,1584,3,00.html
Direct Free Kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

* kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
* trips or attempts to trip an opponent
* jumps at an opponent
* charges an opponent
* strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
* pushes an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player
commits any of the following four offences:

* tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact with the opponent before touching the ball
* holds an opponent
* spits at an opponent
* handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area).

A direct free kick is taken from where the offence occurred. * (see page 3)

Penalty Kick

* A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.

Indirect Free Kick
An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:

* takes more than six seconds while controlling the ball with his hands before releasing it from his possession
* touches the ball again with his hands after it has been released from his possession and has not touched any other player
* touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
* touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate.

An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player, in the opinion of the referee:

* plays in a dangerous manner
* impedes the progress of an opponent

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
darkroomgirl said:
Sigh.

I feel so... down.

SO who's everyone going for now?
Ukraine.

Sure they play pathetically, but they beat Switzerland.

<3 Ukraine.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Direct Free Kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

* kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
* trips or attempts to trip an opponent
* jumps at an opponent
* charges an opponent
* strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
* pushes an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player
commits any of the following four offences:

* tackles an opponent to gain possession of the ball, making contact with the opponent before touching the ball
* holds an opponent
* spits at an opponent
* handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area).

A direct free kick is taken from where the offence occurred. * (see page 3)

Penalty Kick

* A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.

Indirect Free Kick
An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:

* takes more than six seconds while controlling the ball with his hands before releasing it from his possession
* touches the ball again with his hands after it has been released from his possession and has not touched any other player
* touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
* touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate.

An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player, in the opinion of the referee:

* plays in a dangerous manner
* impedes the progress of an opponent
Nice try, but those slide tackles are always penalties

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
go_swans said:
fuck im pissed off. What a great way to knock the aussies out, Italy, BY TRIPPING LUCAS, THEN FALLING OVER LUCAS'S ARSE and pretending he fouled you.
I rofled because it was true.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
That is true - but it was a "trip" rather than an impediment. Plus, if it wasn't for the foul, he would have been clear on goal.

Jiga

^

Lol exactly. And that could have ONLY been an obstruction. If you say that decision was correct than to put it bluntly, your f*cked in the head!

EDIT:

How could it be a trip? Neil was virtually stationary and kept all of his limbs to himself!!!!!

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
watch australia dominate the Asian Cup... muahahah!!!
Maybe. Don't underestimate Asians in Asia though, they are very hard to beat at home, Koreans at home beat Germany 3-0 last year, Sweden 2-0 and Serbia 2-0 this year.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
What the fuck?! A trip inside the box is a penalty. Stick to rugby league you fucken yobbo.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
lol, if that was an indirect free kick then pretty much all penalties (other than being hacked from behind and hand balls) should be given as indirects.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
it wasnt a trip. a sliding tackle, yes. the tackle has already ended yet there was no contact with player or ball. poor challenge yes, foul no.

THEN, while the player is lying prone on the ground, the attacking player makes contact with the player on the ground. thats obstruction, not a trip, regardless of intent of either player.

anyways, let's not dwell on this. we'll agree to disagree. australia had a good tournament.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
anyways, let's not dwell on this. we'll agree to disagree. australia had a good tournament.
I agree. Everyone should just stop whinging about it penalty or not. Because (1) it won't make a difference and (2) whinging is what the Italian team does.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
on a different subject, acmilan, what was the italian reaction to the game? were they happy about the way they were able to win from a disadvantaged position or were they disappointed in below expected performance

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Komit said:
I agree. Everyone should just stop whinging about it penalty or not. Because (1) it won't make a difference and (2) whinging is what the Italian team does.
haha, true.

i think a german commentator said it best, "all in the world is corrupt, unfair, scandalous when the italians lose, but its just the way football is when the italians win"

:D

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Constip8edSkunk said:
on a different subject, acmilan, what was the italian reaction to the game? were they happy about the way they were able to win from a disadvantaged position or were they disappointed in below expected performance
I have tried to stick clear of the italian community because, in general, the elder italians have been through all this before and have pretty much lost faith in italy, so they expected this, and it pisses me off because as soon as they succeed they jump on the bandwagon.

Obviously italian fans are happy that they are through, personally im not happy about how they did it. The only positive i saw from it is that their defence still looks like one of the best in the world, which is what they need to have any chance. But most fans would agree if they dont improve they'll be out once they face a team that can score.

Jiga

What the fuck?! A trip inside the box is a penalty. Stick to rugby league you fucken yobbo.
It wasNT a trip dumbshit. Go look at some international sources, who are unbias, and even they state it was by no means a trip. You cant run over the top of someone and claim they tripped you... especially when that player on the ground keeps all of his limbs to his side!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)