• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

pete_mate

HSC
AcStyle* said:
Some trivia for u:

No team had scored three goals in the last seven minutes in World Cup history....until yesterday ;)
can you tell me where that's from, id love to see if its true.

so does this mean we get another match because we've won? or dow we need to beat/tie against croatia?

i was at town hall in the city after it, people were dancing in the streets on top of cars at one point. insane

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
pete_mate said:
can you tell me where that's from, id love to see if its true.

so does this mean we get another match because we've won? or dow we need to beat/tie against croatia?

i was at town hall in the city after it, people were dancing in the streets on top of cars at one point. insane
It's from the BBC website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4852706.stm

Just look down the bottom.

johnny_87

HSC
SHIT! If only I'd known! I've bet about $75 on betandwin so far. Slightly better odds but for a free jersey who cares!

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Anyone else pleased how hard the Czech Republic smacked the US last night? I recall their manager making some rather disparaging comments about Australia's chances of making it through the group stages a few months back, so there was poetic justice there. Incredibly the guy had the gall to blame pretty much everyone in the team but himself.. terrible loser. 5th in the world my ass.

kimmie.xoxo

HSC
yay! aussie kicked some major butt. i was over the moon. i think japan is cool and all, but i was just extremely happy that aussie won. i was behind them from beginning to end. i thought they were going to lose or at least get a tie, but to then at the end they whooped some major butt. i was so close to crying. it was such a great game.

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
That's the one copious. Doesn't seem like he's the most knowledgable coach though does it? Dwight Yorke was never the best striker in the world. Amongst the best, yes, but far, far from the best.

HSC
HOLY SHIT, what an awesome game last night. so many close shots through the game, especially when viduka had a chance early on, viduka's spot kick, aloisi's spot kick, bresciano's strike (i initially thought it went in) and kewell's rocket that just skimmed the top post. i think i felt like falling asleep being 1-0 down towards the end of the match, but hell i was celebrating when cahill scored. and good ol' aloisi, campbelltown material lol. fuck, could a foul be more blatant on schwarzer? so much for a soft goal. but to japans credit, their keeper made some solid saves. haha i think the adrenalin was pumping through my body and keeping me awake till 2-3am. so much for exam STUDY.

i was also surprised at how easily the US were defeated, i at least expected a goal out of them. but what i can't wait for is the brazil v australia game, that should be very interesting.

and if the last world cup was nothing to go by, france should see the swiss 4-0 (or something similar). :)

dilroy

HSC
You beautiful Socceroos, what a game, 3-1 fantastic Australian spirit! Sydney went absolutely bannana's!!!!

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
:sleep: Far out, just woke up now.
What a night, un-bloddy-believable.

The Green+Gold clad folks were absolutely in raptures in the City. Top night, top atmosphere. Actually, after the match, given that I had taken along a football with me, my mates and I re-enacted the Aussie goals at the park next to Paddy McGuire's, well as best we could anyway.

Besides, it was extremely heartening to see supporters out and about, the families, the fanatics, just people in general chatting about football, the World Cup, and what have you.

I'd like to say football is no longer the poor cousin of Australian sport, but I reckon we'd need to make it to the knockouts before I reassure myself of that.

As for the match proper and the performances, I'll save that for until after 'brekkie'. In the meantime, 'the Guus,the Guus, the Guus is on fire ....' Hopefully my voice makes a speedy recovery. :cool:

(.ps. you guys just racked up 20-odd pages on the match itself, gee whiz).

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Far out! How good was the game!

I was (surprisingly) surrounded by majority of japanese supporters where I watched it, and they were pretty vocal during the first half. Was such a good game.

Thank God for Cahill.

Apparently there has been a public apology from the refereeing circle in regards to the goal that was given to Japan. Can anyone else confirm this? If so, thats a pretty bold step in publicly recognising the FIFA World Cup referee made a wrong decision. Somehow, im not so sure they would have apologised had Australia lost to Japan 1-0.

Dont worry about the last 15 minutes, the whole game was awesome.

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
I back Australia into the Czech Republic into the Italians to win. Outlaid $200 and it paid $5.95.

Im going to back the Brazilians into the French tonight to win.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
RiCe_GrOwEr said:
I back Australia into the Czech Republic into the Italians to win. Outlaid $200 and it paid $5.95.

Im going to back the Brazilians into the French tonight to win.
Brazil into france couldnt possibly pay that much, could it? Im considering adding Korea to it, but something in me tells me Togo might cause a surprise and screw it up.

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
Brazil into france couldnt possibly pay that much, could it? Im considering adding Korea to it, but something in me tells me Togo might cause a surprise and screw it up.
TAB Sportsbet are offering $1.90 approx. Other betting sites might offer better prices, last I checked Betfair and Centrebet were offering better odds.

I was going to take Brazil, France and Korea all up, but I'm with you, I have my doubts over the Koreans.

They're paying $1.95 to win, thats a tad short for my liking.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Korea were $2 odd last night to win I think? Anyway I backed Korea to win, Togo hopefully are too distracted by the coaching shenanigans to stay focused.

fyi centrebet are offering $2.28 for a Brazil/France win multi.

otay

HSC
Paragon said:
:sleep: Far out, just woke up now.
What a night, un-bloddy-believable.

The Green+Gold clad folks were absolutely in raptures in the City. Top night, top atmosphere. Actually, after the match, given that I had taken along a football with me, my mates and I re-enacted the Aussie goals at the park next to Paddy McGuire's, well as best we could anyway.

Besides, it was extremely heartening to see supporters out and about, the families, the fanatics, just people in general chatting about football, the World Cup, and what have you.

I'd like to say football is no longer the poor cousin of Australian sport, but I reckon we'd need to make it to the knockouts before I reassure myself of that.

As for the match proper and the performances, I'll save that for until after 'brekkie'. In the meantime, 'the Guus,the Guus, the Guus is on fire ....' Hopefully my voice makes a speedy recovery. :cool:

(.ps. you guys just racked up 20-odd pages on the match itself, gee whiz).

Yeah pretty much same boat with me. Just woke up, voice is gone and never been more proud to be Australian. I mean fuck what great spirit. In reference to what you said about football being the poor cousin, I tend to feel like its influence will continue to grow significantly because of last night's performance, and not just coz of the victory. Typically soccer haters have said it's for pansies and players go down like a sack of potatoes. Well yeah they do usually, but the Aussie players last night played a real physical game where they didn't take any shit from the Japanese players and went in hard and came out on top. Not to mention the spirit. It was the type of performance that would influence soccer haters to enjoying it. I mean even Guus Guus Guus pushed the Jap trainer. I mean fuck how Australian is that. I love Guus. Is today national Guus day or national TIMMMMMMMMYYYYY day? Who cares we fucking played sooo well last night and I think the fatcunt ronaldo will maybe know a few of our players now.

Technically, it was quite a superb game from the boys. We had various shots that were either very dam close or were well saved by the japanese keeper. Me and my mates counted at least 10 VERY GOOD probably should have scored opportunities (including goals) compared to the japanese maybe 2 or 3. And their goal which I think everybody agrees should have been an Aussie free kick. Chippers did great again in 2nd half especially. How defence held up real well for most of the match. When they had the ball they didn't really look like scoring. We chased the ball down heaps. i mean Viduka ran his heart out and played such a terrific game. FUck his control is impeccable. Cahill is just wel....i wanna bum him. And Aloisi's finish was of the highest order. Still room for improvement and I reckon we can win against Brazil. Fuck em there defence is as slow as anything. Have faith.

Yes Johnny Warren you did tell us so

Soccerwhos??? SOCCEROOOS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)