The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

renton

HSC
theo walcott couldn't score in a brothel with a gold fucken amex.

bad move by eriksonn i'd say. defoe or bent would have been a better option.

but never mind that, it will be an australia vs. portugal final - Australia winning 23-22 with a bicycle from kewell in the 90th

Jimmy_B

HSC
renton said:
theo walcott couldn't score in a brothel with a gold fucken amex.
yeah, that's cos you've seen him play oh so many times eh?

and for what it's worth,i love jermaine to bits, but he's only scored 9 in 40 games this season. not good enough for england, so sven took a punt on a potential gamebreaker. no biggie, theo might not even get to play, depending on shrek.

darren bent wil probably join the list of one season wonders which includes michael rickets, marcus stewart and co.

^___^
HSC
Jimmy_B said:
darren bent wil probably join the list of one season wonders which includes michael rickets, marcus stewart and co.
i will include Beattie there as well :p

*headbutts Gallas on the back on his head for no reason*

renton

HSC
Jimmy_B said:
yeah, that's cos you've seen him play oh so many times eh?
if theo walcott, the 12 million pound signing was that good (to deserve a place in the england squad), wenger probably would have played him by now. how good can this bloke be, he has absolutely zero experience in top flight football, i reckon he'll be shithouse.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
sunjet said:
is there a bos league for world cup? (premierleague)
I can set one up if u guys want. There is one based on the premierleague one.

how many ppl are interested?

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
im in 2 comps with my mates. the premier league 1 is pretty crap... they only have epl players. Theres also a maccas 1, but that has no cost restrictions... so both are pretty shitty.

Jimmy_B

HSC
renton said:
if theo walcott, the 12 million pound signing was that good (to deserve a place in the england squad), wenger probably would have played him by now. how good can this bloke be, he has absolutely zero experience in top flight football, i reckon he'll be shithouse.

yeah, but the point is that you couldnt have seen him enough times to make such a bold prediciton. sven's seen him play and decided he'd be a better bet than defoe, bent, harewood etc. i've seen a few clips of him and you can see the bloke has talent, probably more so than the guys he's competing with for the last forwards slot. i doubt he'll get many games anyway with rooney looking better now, so it realy isn't that much of a gamble.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
i've seen a few clips of him and you can see the bloke has talent, probably more so than the guys he's competing with for the last forwards slot. i doubt he'll get many games anyway with rooney looking better now, so it realy isn't that much of a gamble.
I agree. With Michael Owen returning to full fitness, Rooney also looking like he will be fit for the first match, and many other options (including using Gerrard as a striker)... Walcott probably will be hardly used. Yes, he is a bigger risk than proven strikers like Defoe and Bent...but these strikers would probably only be brought into the games during the final minutes anyway. For this purpose, I think that the speedy Walcott poses a bigger threat to tiring defences than either Defoe or Bent. My only concern with him is that if he really is ready for the world cup, then why didn't Wenger use him in a similar role for Arsenal this season in the EPL and Champions League? As much as I hate Weger, though, he is probably the best manager in the world in terms of developing young talent. If he says that Walcott is ready to play some part in the world cup...then he probably is.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
registering my interest for the wc fantasy game ... ive been asked to join a few but none of them hane easy to use format (like epl one) ...
edit: http://fantasyfootball.metro.co.uk/ looks good ... league?

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
matt#1 said:
I agree. With Michael Owen returning to full fitness, Rooney also looking like he will be fit for the first match, and many other options (including using Gerrard as a striker)... Walcott probably will be hardly used. Yes, he is a bigger risk than proven strikers like Defoe and Bent...but these strikers would probably only be brought into the games during the final minutes anyway. For this purpose, I think that the speedy Walcott poses a bigger threat to tiring defences than either Defoe or Bent. My only concern with him is that if he really is ready for the world cup, then why didn't Wenger use him in a similar role for Arsenal this season in the EPL and Champions League? As much as I hate Weger, though, he is probably the best manager in the world in terms of developing young talent. If he says that Walcott is ready to play some part in the world cup...then he probably is.
dont bother about England's soccer team, they pretty much dont stand a chance, they will be lucky to get the semis. have they won a world cup yet?

anyway my analysis:
Final:
Brazil vs Australia ---!!!!--
Australia unforuntaly screwed with this. assuming that Brazil makes the final and the Australia moves along they will meet them again in the final.
to make the finals to play against Brazil:
Australia
France - thuram, gallas, viera, makelele, zidane, cisse and henry, trezeguet, barthez
Germany - kahn, metzelder, kehl, ballack, klose,
Argentina - ayala, saviola, crespo, aimar, cruz and gonzalez
England- ferdinand, campbell, gerrard, beckham, lampard, owen, rooney
Spain- casillas, puyol, salgado, xavi, joaquin, xabi alonso, raul, torres, garcia
those are the teams to make the final. others are knocked out in earlier ronds.

france look gud.

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
dont bother about England's soccer team, they pretty much dont stand a chance, they will be lucky to get the semis. have they won a world cup yet?

Pfft!...as if we shouldn't bother about England. With players of the calibre of Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Becks, Ferdinand, Owen and Rooney (if fit)...they have one of the most talented squads of any team competing at the world cup. They certainly stand a chance and you would be foolish to ignore a team with so many quality players just because of their relatively poor history in this competition. In answer to your question...yes, England have won a world cup. They won it in 1966

HotShot said:
anyway my analysis:
Final:
Brazil vs Australia ---!!!!--
Australia unforuntaly screwed with this. assuming that Brazil makes the final and the Australia moves along they will meet them again in the final.
haha, as much as i'd love to see Australia in the final...it simply isn't going to happen. If it does, then it will definitely be a bigger upset than Greece's Euro 2004victory.

HotShot said:
to make the finals to play against Brazil:
Australia
France - thuram, gallas, viera, makelele, zidane, cisse and henry, trezeguet, barthez
Germany - kahn, metzelder, kehl, ballack, klose,
Argentina - ayala, saviola, crespo, aimar, cruz and gonzalez
England- ferdinand, campbell, gerrard, beckham, lampard, owen, rooney
Spain- casillas, puyol, salgado, xavi, joaquin, xabi alonso, raul, torres, garcia
those are the teams to make the final. others are knocked out in earlier ronds.

france look gud.

Based purely on the depth of talent in each of the squads, I would also add Italy (Buffon, Nesta, Cannavaro, Pirlo, Del Piero, Toni, Gilardino, etc), Holland (Van Nistelrooy, Robben, Van Der Sar, Kuyt, etc) and Portugal (Ronaldo, Deco, Figo, Simao, etc) to your list of potential world cup winners. Out of all the teams in your list though, I can't really see Germany winning it because I think that their squad looks pretty ordinary. I do understand though that they will have the home support and thus shouldn't be written off (you only have to look back to the performances of Japan and South Korea at the last world cup to see how much of an advantage home support can be). The only other teams that I think can possibly make the final are the Czech Republic and Sweden, though this is probably unlikely.

Do you guys have any teams that you particularly like to see in the final?

I would love to see Brazil v Portugal (the brazilians of Europe).

I have a particular soft spot for England, so Brazil v England or England v Portugal would also be good.

For some reason though, I think the final will be either Brazil v Holland or Italy.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
i dont think italy look gud, yeah sure they have some good players but they dont stand out - same with holland. Portugal look awesome but i they will meet brazil in the semis, and they will meet england in the quarters- it will be tough. really the team to come second in brazil's group, prob croatia/aus/or japan has good path to quarters then they will have to play germany or argentina. i.e

Aus vs Czech - Aus vs France, Aus vs Ger/Arg

but i wouldnt just dimiss some of these african teams, upsets happen and perhaps they can create one.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
but i wouldnt just dimiss some of these african teams, upsets happen and perhaps they can create one.
I remember the heroics of Senegal at the last world cup, but I think that it is safe to pretty much dismiss the chances of all of the African teams playing in the world cup (Ivory Coast, Ghana, Tunisia, Angola and Togo). Ivory Coast is probably the most talented African side competing in the cup, with players like Drogba, Zokora, Kolo Toure and, Eboue...but I can't see them getting out of a group also consisting of Argentina, Holland and Serbia and Montenengro. Ghana also look like a fairly decent side, with Essien and Appiah in midfield...but once again they are in one of the toughest groups..also consisting of Italy, Czech Republic and USA. I can't realistically see them getting out of this group. The next best African hope is probably Tunisia. They have two decent defenders in Radhi Jaidi (Bolton)and Trabelsi (Ajax)..but Spain and Ukraine should should see them also knocked out in the group stage. As for Angola and Togo...I think that their main aim will be not to embarass themselves. Portugal and Mexico should make it through to the next round in Angola's group and France and either Switzerland or South Korea should make it through to the next round in Togo's group.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)