• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Football Thread 2005/2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Funny how Lehmann used to feature in goalkeepin Maldini momentz, and last season Wenger even used shitty Almunia over him.
Almunia:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . Is that excuse for a 'keeper still playing for the arse?

Jimmy B...I never said that Lehmann was a lemon. Unlike some Man Utd supporters, i'm not so biased that I think that all Arsenal players are shit. In fact, I'll happily admit that Arsenal has many quality young players with big futures ahead. I was just agreeing that Lehmann is a cunt. I don't think that there is much between Lehmann and Van Der Sar. They are both quality.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A

matt#1

HSC
N/A
I'm so sick of hearing about this Theo Walcott boy. I understand that you don't find yourself in the England World Cup squad unless your talented...but has anyone here actually seen him play? Man Utd don't need an answer to Theo Walcott...we already have Wayne Rooney. I agree that Rossi does have a big future ahead of him though.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Team of the Season:

Reina

Finnan Carragher Terry Gallas

Gerrard Makelele Cole

Rooney Van Nistelrooy Henry

Can't believe so many of you guys aren't giving Reina his due. Most clean sheets this season, and conceded the 2nd least amount of goals.

Silvio Berlusconi has 'let leak' that Sheva wants to go to England to a young fan, according to Anso. What a chump, I don't believe it for a second. Terrible news for Pool, United and Arsenal if he does go to Chelsea though. If Chelsea don't pick up a striker of Sheva's calibre, there's every chance they won't win the title next season. If they do, it's game over before the first kick-off of the season.

Meanwhile Spurs are apparently close to signing Berbatov. Damn but you guys have a good replacement for Arneson Jimmy. Berbatov would be an amazing signing for a club of Tottenham's size.

Last edited:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Berbatov aye, so im assuming Mido is goneski's? Or they all gonna battle it out for the 2 upfront spots.

Jimmy_B

HSC
walcott's the next henry. it's amazing that england could produce two players like rooney and walcott within so few years of each other.

rossi will be good, but he's no walcott. just wished we'd gotten him first. looking at those clips, the pace is unbelievable and he looks like he has skills too. just needs to bulk up.

matt#1 said:
Jimmy B...I never said that Lehmann was a lemon. Unlike some Man Utd supporters, i'm not so biased that I think that all Arsenal players are shit. In fact, I'll happily admit that Arsenal has many quality young players with big futures ahead. I was just agreeing that Lehmann is a cunt. I don't think that there is much between Lehmann and Van Der Sar. They are both quality.
yeah, i think he is an absolute cunt too. but unlike lmf i can acknowledge that he's been the form keeper going around this season. i just think edwin is a bit shakier and has a tendency to no-call sometimes, which leads to goals. just hope he chokes it all away in paris this wednesday then :)

Jimmy_B

HSC
Benny_ said:
Meanwhile Spurs are apparently close to signing Berbatov. Damn but you guys have a good replacement for Arneson Jimmy. Berbatov would be an amazing signing for a club of Tottenham's size.
we've agreed a fee for him, but apparently he's stalling hoping a top four club come in for him. would be a great signing and a definite improvement on mido if it goes through. 11 mill is a bit much though don't you think?

oh and a club our size eh? cheeky cheeky, go to london and see what type of fanbase we have there...

EDIT: apparently we're moving for chimbonda, neill to replace stalteri and lee, and to beef up the attack we're looking at bellamy if the deal with berbatov falls through. that seems more realistic and would really strengthen us. if we could add another top line winger we'd be up there again next year provided we hold onto carrick, dawson and king.

Last edited:

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Tottenham are a big club, no doubt about that. Wouldn't put them in the top echelon of European clubs though would you? I rate Berbatov pretty highly.

I get the feeling Defoe is on his way out to be honest. Jol was just a bit to disappointed that he didn't make the World Cup squad. A good World Cup inflates a player's value several fold, as we all know.

Last edited:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Defoe should come back to West Ham :D , and everyone else who jumped ship!

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Jimmy_B said:
unlike lmf i can acknowledge that Lehman's been the form keeper going around this season. i just think edwin is a bit shakier and has a tendency to no-call sometimes, which leads to goals. just hope he chokes it all away in paris this wednesday then :)
According to the ACTIM Index stats, Van Der Sar was the best 'keeper this season:

1 edwin van der sar 5.68 10 Manchester United
2 petr cech 5.32 17 Chelsea
3 jens lehmann 4.94 23 Arsenal
4 jose reina 4.86 28 Liverpool
5 brad friedel 4.81 30 Blackburn Rovers

The team of season 2006 according to the same index is:

edwin van der sar
5.68 (10)

steve finnan
5.59 (12)
rio ferdinand
6.24 (5)
john terry
5.98 (8)
william gallas
6.08 (7)

steven gerrard
6.32 (4)
frank lampard
7.21 (2)
michael carrick
5.18 (18)
jimmy bullard
5.51 (13)

ruud van nistelrooy
6.85 (3)
thierry henry
7.34 (1)

...seems to be reasonably accurate

Last edited:

Jimmy_B

HSC
thing is matt, i prefer to watch games rather than use some bogus forumulaic system to compare who's better.

@benny, jermaine would probably only go to a top four club, out of which arsenal are ruled out, chelsea seem to be more interested in tevez and sheva, while united loo pretty sorted up front for now. unless you guys buy him, he might just stay put for now.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Haha Berlusconi, took him a while to even concede defeat in the Italian election. Sheva movin to Chelsea will just kill off everybody. But there iz good newz though, Gallas wantin away from the Bridge. Hez one of their most important playerz and would be hard to replace.

Theo Walcott look amazin in em clipz. The only thing he haz over Rossi iz speed, while everythin elz they're pretty much the same. Rossi have proven himself at reserve level, and he played well against Charlton. Can hold up play, set up play, just great all round ability and iz tactically aware. Might be just a bit too early to say that Walcott iz better Rossi.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
@ Hectic...I prefer to watch the games to form an opinion also. Only problem is that we all watch the games...and yet come up with different opinions. I just thought that I would use the stats to break the deadlock :).

I would be devestated if Chelsea signed Shevchenko. He is one of my favourite players and in my opinion, the best striker in the game today. He is one of only a few strikers that I would truely be happy to swap for RVN.

Whilst on the topic of stats though...here is the ACTIM Top 100 players for season 2006:

Name Team Index Score
1 thierry henry Arsenal 7.34
2 frank lampard Chelsea 7.21
3 ruud van nistelrooy Manchester United 6.85
4 steven gerrard Liverpool 6.32
5 rio ferdinand Manchester United 6.24
6 robbie keane Tottenham Hotspur 6.21
7 william gallas Chelsea 6.08
8 john terry Chelsea 5.98
9 darren bent Charlton Athletic 5.72
10 edwin van der sar Manchester United 5.68
11 wayne rooney Manchester United 5.61
12 steve finnan Liverpool 5.59
13 jimmy bullard Wigan Athletic 5.51
14 jamie carragher Liverpool 5.50
15 sami hyypia Liverpool 5.38
16 john o'shea Manchester United 5.32
17 petr cech Chelsea 5.32
18 michael carrick Tottenham Hotspur 5.18
19 pascal chimbonda Wigan Athletic 5.13
20 gary o'neil Portsmouth 5.11
21 marlon harewood West Ham United 4.98
22 joe cole Chelsea 4.95
23 jens lehmann Arsenal 4.94
24 didier drogba Chelsea 4.93
25 morten gamst pedersen Blackburn Rovers 4.91
26 francesc fabregas Arsenal 4.89
27 claude makelele Chelsea 4.87
28 jose reina Liverpool 4.86
29 kevin davies Bolton Wanderers 4.83
30 brad friedel Blackburn Rovers 4.81
31 lucas neill Blackburn Rovers 4.80
32 craig bellamy Blackburn Rovers 4.80
33 paul robinson Tottenham Hotspur 4.70
34 paul stalteri Tottenham Hotspur 4.64
35 mikael silvestre Manchester United 4.63
36 matthew taylor Portsmouth 4.63
37 kevin nolan Bolton Wanderers 4.55
38 steed malbranque Fulham 4.54
39 paul konchesky West Ham United 4.53
40 gilberto Arsenal 4.51
41 jermain defoe Tottenham Hotspur 4.50
42 matthew etherington West Ham United 4.50
43 luis boa morte Fulham 4.49
44 shay given Newcastle United 4.47
45 danny gabbidon West Ham United 4.47
46 cristiano ronaldo Manchester United 4.41
47 jermaine jenas Tottenham Hotspur 4.39
48 robert pires Arsenal 4.39
49 leighton baines Wigan Athletic 4.37
50 gary neville Manchester United 4.37
51 lee young-pyo Tottenham Hotspur 4.36
52 aiyegbeni yakubu Middlesbrough 4.35
53 xabi alonso Liverpool 4.35
54 darius vassell Manchester City 4.33
55 jussi jaaskelainen Bolton Wanderers 4.32
56 stelios giannakopoulos Bolton Wanderers 4.31
57 ledley king Tottenham Hotspur 4.30
58 jason roberts Wigan Athletic 4.27
59 phil neville Everton 4.21
60 hernan crespo Chelsea 4.20
61 gareth barry Aston Villa 4.20
62 brian mcbride Fulham 4.19
63 nolberto solano Newcastle United 4.19
64 tim cahill Everton 4.15
65 kolo toure Arsenal 4.15
66 fernando morientes Liverpool 4.14
67 thomas sorensen Aston Villa 4.14
68 peter crouch Liverpool 4.13
69 nigel reo-coker West Ham United 4.13
70 ryan giggs Manchester United 4.12
71 joey barton Manchester City 4.12
72 michael dawson Tottenham Hotspur 4.10
73 arjen robben Chelsea 4.08
74 aaron hughes Aston Villa 4.07
75 michael gray Blackburn Rovers 4.05
76 anton ferdinand West Ham United 4.05
77 michael essien Chelsea 4.05
78 asier del horno Chelsea 4.03
79 david james Manchester City 4.01
80 charles n'zogbia Newcastle United 4
81 tony hibbert Everton 3.96
82 liam ridgewell Aston Villa 3.94
83 yossi benayoun West Ham United 3.94
84 shola ameobi Newcastle United 3.88
85 luke young Charlton Athletic 3.86
86 david weir Everton 3.86
87 jermaine pennant Birmingham City 3.85
88 djibril cisse Liverpool 3.83
89 jonathan greening West Bromwich Albion 3.82
90 hermann hreidarsson Charlton Athletic 3.82
91 robbie savage Blackburn Rovers 3.78
92 henri camara Wigan Athletic 3.77
93 radostin kishishev Charlton Athletic 3.76
94 mikel arteta Everton 3.74
95 damien duff Chelsea 3.70
96 zurab khizanishvili Blackburn Rovers 3.69
97 steven davis Aston Villa 3.65
98 ryan nelsen Blackburn Rovers 3.60
99 steven reid Blackburn Rovers 3.60
100 trevor sinclair Manchester City 3.55

Last edited:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Sheva to Man Utd = Win

Perfect replacement for Ruud if he does go.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
copious said:
First time ive seen any footage of the guy, and i gotta say he does look somethin special...it was as if he was on fast forward while evry1 else was playin at normal speed.

Sven could try throwin him on for the last 10-15mins or so, and with his pace against a tiring defence anythin could happen...

matt#1

HSC
N/A
AcStyle* said:
First time ive seen any footage of the guy, and i gotta say he does look somethin special...it was as if he was on fast forward while evry1 else was playin at normal speed.

Sven could try throwin him on for the last 10-15mins or so, and with his pace against a tiring defence anythin could happen...

I just watched the footage myself. Its the first i've seen of the kid...and damn he looks fast. He's kinda small though, but at 17 years of age is probably still growing. I think that he is a special talent...but i'm still not sure that he is ready for the biggest stage in football. Maybe Sven should just have picked Defoe or Bent. This kid will be more than ready in 4 years time...and he'll only be 21! Anyway.. I don't think that Sven can change his mind now.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
There will be some trouble at the tiring defenses when Aaron Lennon and Walcott are both running at them :)

Jimmy_B

HSC
matt#1 said:
@ Hectic...I prefer to watch the games to form an opinion also. Only problem is that we all watch the games...and yet come up with different opinions. I just thought that I would use the stats to break the deadlock :).
oi, look who you're talking to. hectic actually got on a plane this arvo to canada. i'll post his pictures when he gets back.

as for the stats, it's a bit of rubbish really, it all depends on the person(s) who wrote the formulas and how they decide to weight them. they don't take into account things like the importance of a game, how good the saves/tackles were, the amount of pressure they were under at the time etc etc.

anyways it'll all be irrelevant once the blues sign sheva or torres or adriano as well as ballack. no-one's catching them next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)